SASS Wire Forum

1860s (Rifle and pistols)

Gallows Hugh Moore

I have a pair of Pietta 1860s with the 5 1/2 inch barrels and will soon have a Navy Arms 1860 Henry .45 Colt that will be my main guns. Who is the best person to have "optimize" the revolvers for reliability with BP? What about the rifle? Would it be possible (or a big pain in the patuty) to sleeve the barrel of the rifle for .44-40 or even .44 Colt?

Revolvers - Rowdy Yates - have the Manhattan Conversion done to virtually eliminate detached cap jams. He will also make it very reliable.

Sure, you could convert rifle to .44-40 easily. Same length as .45 Colt, same rim diameter. Track of the Wolf has some .44-40 rifle barrel liners at reasonable prices. Just have to drill, install liner and recut chamber and recesses.

Are you wanting to shoot Black Powder? If so, .44-40 would be a MUCH better choice than .44 Colt, or .45 Colt for that matter.

Good luck, GJ

While I personally disagree with the notion that 45Colt is not a good selection for a BP rifle, it has taken me about 3 years to finally get around to modifying my 1860 to run a 10 stage match with minimal fuss and bother. (Why bother, as I had a perfectly good 45Colt 1873 that has run flawlessly for 30 years with either BP or that new fad powder). The only trouble I had with the 1860 was on the 6th stage, it bent the lever spring... put in another Whisper spring and on the 3rd stage of day two, it bent the replacement, put the stock spring back in, and it ran fine for the last two stages.

It would be simpler and, probably cheaper, to take the hit on the 45 Colt version and trade it for a .44-40.

I picked up a Iron Frame Henry 44/40 last year .

And Im picked up a pair of 1858 Remingtons in 44.

Too shoot togather this year .

Should be fun maken um Choke this year lol .

I will probably run the Henry as is for now and see how much I like it before changing. I m going more for style points than trying to be a speed demon. As for the cap guns I just don't want to have to fiddle with a jammed up gun due to a cap falling into the works. I did play with some stock 1860s a while back and remember how much a pain it was when that happened or how much it hurt when a cap fell in between your hand and the grip!

You can reline the first 2/3rds of the barrel, but the last 1/3rd that is turned down for the rotating sleeve is waaaaay too thin. And a barrel is hugely expensive-if you could find one.

I picked up a Iron Frame Henry 44/40 last year .

And Im picked up a pair of 1858 Remingtons in 44.

Too shoot togather this year .

Should be fun maken um Choke this year lol .

Just always remember, If'n the RO ain't coughin, you ain't using enough powder.

I will probably run the Henry as is for now and see how much I like it before changing. I m going more for style points than trying to be a speed demon. As for the cap guns I just don't want to have to fiddle with a jammed up gun due to a cap falling into the works. I did play with some stock 1860s a while back and remember how much a pain it was when that happened or how much it hurt when a cap fell in between your hand and the grip!

Once you get them tuned & set-up, they are as reliable as cartridge guns.

Many folks polish the hammer face with a brush at each loading to prevent caps from falling back into the action.

All my cap guns have either the Manhatten conversion or cap rakes to prevent that from happening.

Basic smoothing & tuning, & Slix or Treso nipples and Remington #10 caps, and yer good to go.

I've heard from reliable folks that Track of the Wolf SS replacement nipples are good, but I've not used them, so I won't recommend them.

But really, if shooting cap guns is yer version of a great time (It is for me!), then take the time/effort to get them set up properly & go to town!

There are many folks here on the Wire who know how to do this/have done this, so good help is not hard to find.

I can't help you with a hot cap that falls between the gun & yer hand.

Happens occasionally, but not frequently.

If you stay with the .45 Henry rifle, keep a can of moose milk or spray lube with you for when the carrier gets stiff from fouling during a match.

(Never happens with a 44-40)

And be prepared to remove a side plate & wipe down & oil the innards after every match due to blowback gettin' in there.

(Never happens with a 44-40)

Henry Rifles are the best!

I have 4 of them, 3 in 44-40 & a .45 set up for 45 Cowboy Special.

It's all about FUN, & cap guns & Henry Rifles are more fun!

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

It's going to be different, that's for sure.

Have not shot it yet, but I think it will be a hoot.

I'm slow anyway, so it will compliment my shooting speed.

Pair it up with some good cap guns & one of my Henry rifles & have a ball!

--Dawg

That is what I was thinking. I see you can pick one up for under $200 from Simpsons and then have the barrel chopped and if I don't like it I won't be out much. I am going for "style points" over speed!

Edited by Sharps Shootin Ron, SASS #65625

Just always remember, If'n the RO ain't coughin, you ain't using enough powder.

LOL Im Smoky and Slow ! LOL heee heee heee