SASS Wire Forum

SASS Guidelines for Stage Targets?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

I am designing and planning to use PVC pipe to build practice targets for my personal use.

The design phase is complete; however, I realized I could not find where the SASS approved guidelines for target size are stated, in order for me to replicate same.

Do such guidelines exist, or is it up to each club to make that determination?

I searched the SASS Wire forum and did find a thread that was started regarding the size of targets for long range side matches, and the responses seem to indicate there were no guidelines, at least, for long range side matches.

My curiosity was then raised as I began to think about those shooters who go to another club to shoot, and whether those targets are the same size from club to club.

If I can be pointed in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you are looking for SASS guidelines have you tried the rule book?

Metal and paper targets of generous size are used. Reactive targets such as pepper poppers and falling plates are used when practical to enhance shooter feedback and spectator appeal. Targets are set at close to medium range. There are no absolute rules, but we suggest the following distances, by firearm, if using a target approximately 16" X 16":

Revolver 7 to 10 yards Shotgun 8 to 16 yards Rifle 13 to 50 yards

That's all there is. Target size and distances are determined by the club.

Just a point from experience.

PVC stands will NOT hold up to direct hits. ( I know, you will never hit the stands...on purpose)

PVC stands will be damaged from plate hit bullet splatter.

Cold rolled rod or rebar for stands are cheaper in long run and will last for ever.

Just a point from experience.

PVC stands will NOT hold up to direct hits. ( I know, you will never hit the stands...on purpose)

PVC stands will be damaged from plate hit bullet splatter.

Cold rolled rod or rebar for stands are cheaper in long run and will last for ever.

+1

Mr. Pettifogger:

Thank you for the direction on where to find the information regarding target size.

As a matter of fact, I did quickly look through the Shooters Handbook; however, when I didn't see a heading on the INDEX page that appeared would cover the issue, such as "Target standards" or "Equipment guidelines", I assumed the information would appear in another SASS Publication. Did not consider looking at "Range Operations".

Appreciate the guidance. Now I can proceed with construction.

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Mr. Horg:

Once I have the first target constructed, I will post pictures of it.

Misters Hanger, Riot & Gritz:

My plan is to build these units using paper targets. (40#- 60# kraft paper)

​ I have a design that is intended to incorporate a target easily into the stand, but we'll see once completed.

My intent also is to paint the PVC (color to be determined later) to eliminate the distraction of the color white and to provide protection from the sun. I do understand that if they get hit, they will shatter; however, the section that gets hit can easily be replaced as the pieces will not be glued together.

In addition, I plan to only build one at first to see (1) if it works as a viable target stand, (2) the amount of time and ease it will take to replace a broken section, and (3) obviously if I am hitting it too often, I will need to move on to a more durable product.

It should help also that I will only be aiming at one target for starters, where with multiple targets and moving back and forth between them, I would expect, in the beginning, to be missing the target and damaging the target stand.

Regardless of my ramblings, all of your input is, of course, greatly appreciated.

As a note, once built and tested on the range, I will post the results: " The GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY". I will accompany them with pictures.

All of this is part of my documented journey into the realm of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Take this for what it's worth and yes, any practice is better than no practice but paper targets will not allow you to practice at the speed you will run on steel. Your mind will react faster and you will shoot faster shooting at a steel target than you will at a paper one. The sound of the steel ringing will actually speed you up.

Edited by Smokestack

Mr. Smokestack:

Point well taken.

My initial goal is to practice (1) with the least amount of cost, and (2) get a visual idea of where I am aiming and hitting.

16-yosemite-sam-mustach.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Mr. Smokestack:

Point well taken.

My initial goal is to practice (1) with the least amount of cost, and (2) get a visual idea of where I am aiming and hitting.

16-yosemite-sam-mustach.jpg

Makes sense. :)

Take this for what it's worth and yes, any practice is better than no practice but paper targets will not allow you to practice at the speed you will run on steel. Your mind will react faster and you will shoot faster shooting at a steel target than you will at a paper one. The sound of the steel ringing will actually speed you up.

+1 without the ding I think I'm not hitting and slow down. I like to practice sometimes on smaller targets than I normally see at matches. Sometimes big targets and just go for speed.

Good luck

Randy

Amazon has some 1/4" 12x12 steel plates that would work for light target/practice. $30 and free shipping

I have made several target stands using PVC and they work fine. I use threaded connectors so they come apart for hauling. I also put threaded ends on the bottoms so the two are filled with sand for weight and stability.

We also use them to sight-in rifles and shotguns. I have used these for the past two years.

Ain't nothing like attending a match, even local monthly matches to gauge your speed and skill; AND, give you a better idea of what SASS targets will generally look like. Paper targets are fine and all for sighting in, making sure your shotgun patterns well where you're aiming, but nothing, and I mean nothing will give you the feedback like steel. A timer will only give you information as to how fast you're shooting... and again, nothing, but nothing will give you a better gauge on what can be accomplished like actual match conditions... Where you can see how fast your fellow shooters are actually running. good set of shooting pards can watch you, know what they're looking for, and give you instant feedback on where you can build speed and technique refinement.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Wood is so much cheaper than PVC.

I make stands with a 2x4 base, uprights of furring strips, and target support boards cut from old thin plywood. Last for at least 5 years and very light weight (except for base).

The uprights will take a few hits without being destroyed, too.

Goodluck, GJ

I made some PVC target bases for traveling to friends homes to shoot. We are NRA bullseye shooters so seldom make holes in the PVC. I am not sure what would happen with newbie shooters and shotgun practice. :o