SASS Wire Forum

Biodegradable Ammo...?

Huh? :huh:

Military Wants Biodegradable Ammo That Turns Into Plants

The U.S. Army is looking for someone to create environmentally friendly ammunition that goes beyond being non-toxic to turning bullets into seeds that would eventually germinate plants. It's all part of an effort to ensure that military training areas aren't contaminated with pollutants.

Well now, ain't this novel! Reminds me of the goats turned loose on a park in the Oakland Hills for "weed reduction and fire control." :wacko:

How'd the goats work out?

I been thinking about getting a young gelded one in the spring, turn him loose in the backyard, and put him in the freezer come fall. Start over the next year.

Just think, we could shoot bullets that grow poppies in Afganistan.

How'd the goats work out?

I been thinking about getting a young gelded one in the spring, turn him loose in the backyard, and put him in the freezer come fall. Start over the next year.

Depends on who you ask.

The local greenie "officials" declare it a stupendous success. And it only cost something like $2 million a year to lease the goats.

From a "user" perspective, I would call it something less than a stupendous success. Much of the park is now off-limits during "goat season." Wonderful picnic sites with incredible views are fenced off - can't disturb the goats.

And I always wondered how much of the weed grazing might have been offset by millions of weed seeds in their goat-poop pellets.

Back to the topic of the "seeded ammo," will there be regional controls? No using ammo with non-native seeds? Oh, I can just hear the outcry now! "But we ain't never HAD no lupines here!"

Depends on who you ask.

The local greenie "officials" declare it a stupendous success. And it only cost something like $2 million a year to lease the goats.

From a "user" perspective, I would call it something less than a stupendous success. Much of the park is now off-limits during "goat season." Wonderful picnic sites with incredible views are fenced off - can't disturb the goats.

And I always wondered how much of the weed grazing might have been offset by millions of weed seeds in their goat-poop pellets.

Back to the topic of the "seeded ammo," will there be regional controls? No using ammo with non-native seeds? Oh, I can just hear the outcry now! "But we ain't never HAD no lupines here!"

In my opinion it's been a smashing success. The grass stays cut and I get free goat for dinner whenever they wander too close to the fence

As for biodegradable bullets, isn't this adding a few steps to the process? Doesn't all things eventually turn to lead?

In my opinion it's been a smashing success. The grass stays cut and I get free goat for dinner whenever they wander too close to the fence

As for biodegradable bullets, isn't this adding a few steps to the process? Doesn't all things eventually turn to lead?

Thumbs up on the free goat dinner~! :)

So RK... have ya ever been to any of the Woodminster summer theater musicals in the park? I had first or second row season tickets for 20+ years ~ usually one stinker, one decent production and one winner every summer.

So a bunch of us would gather for a picnic or barbecue in the park before the play ~ one of us would get there early and stake out a good spot, usually with an incredible view of the entire bay area. But along came the goats... oh HECK no you can't picnic in that area! It's reserved for GOATS!

Feel free to share some goat recipes. ;)