SASS Wire Forum

.22 NOSLER?

Chief Rick

It's an interesting way to try and step up the performance of AR platforms. I think it's a cool idea, but I see the niche for this cartridge as being minuscule.

On a side note, I do think it speaks to the versatility of the AR platform. The breadth of cartridges that can be enjoyed just by swapping upper assemblies and maybe magazines is truly amazing. :FlagAm:

I guess they needed to get in on the "create another round" craze for ARs. I have done a lot of work with ARs. Some call them Lego's or Tinker Toys for men...or women. They no longer trip my trigger....pun intended.

I have never been a fan of the .223/5.56 Nato round. That said, I doubt that anybody but me,

gives a big rat's behind what I think. But it appears to me to be another tag along item that

folks with more money than they need, can sink their wallet into.

I suppose there are folks that see adding in something new will add to their coffers.

Perhaps so. But I doubt that five years down the road,not a whole lot of people will

remember why it was introduced and what it is used for.

Oh swell! Another new caliber. And a .223 no less. Just what I need to spend money on. New brass, new bullets, new dies, another powder (that no one carries), new manuals, replacement barrels (considering the claimed volicety), and so on. God forbid I actually practice and learn to become proficient with what I already own.

Never mind. where's the fun of that.

Years back, when I was much younger and starting to get into Varmint hunting here in E.TN (varmints are groundhogs and crows), I bought a 22-250.

I was learning A Lot from an experienced shooter about reloading, etc.

I was telling him about such and such powders that would give me 3600-3800 fps velocities from my 22-250.

He was explaining to me a more important aspect of good shooting wasn't velocities as much as it is ACCURACY.

Then he says..... "Mike, that groundhog out at 200 yards don't really care if that bullet is traveling 3000 fps or 3800 fps when he gets hit...it will still be the same".

That stuck with me. Velocity is nice, but that projectile still has to be able to HIT the target before that velocity can be appreciated.

What will this NEW cartridge have that is gonna make it any better than whats already available on the market?

Just curious.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Howdy,

I know its not near as dramatic, but why not just move a bit closer?

I shot a .222 once. Very accurate. How is the accuracy on this?

When I took a rifle I never saw before and put five touching at 100 yards,

that was impressive. Not touching really, more like overlapping.

Best

CR

Think I'll keep my .223's. Try to buy a couple thousand rounds of those. See how available they are in 20 years. Your money, but I don't go for oddball newfangled calibers. JMHO.

JHC

I've been shooting .22 centerfires for 60 years. I actually built a rifle and chambered it for a "newfangled" wildcat .22 centerfire that later became the factory .22/250. In the last 10 years or so, there have been a bunch of new centerfire cartridges developed and as always they are touted by the gunwriters as the best thing next to sex! We have so many new powders available now, that it is possible to really get the maximum potential from many old and new cartridges.

Many years ago the .220 Swift was written off as a "barrel burner" because it was loaded to the maximum with powder that was very inefficient. I shoot a custom rifle chambered for .220 Ackley Improved that will shoot faster than 4,ooo fps with a new powder. The accuracy in unbelievable. I recently shat a shot group @ 100 yards that measures less than 1/2 inch. I have shot several thousand rounds thru it and there is no barrel wear.

I love .22 centerfires because they are really fun to shoot, pretty cheap to reload and little noticeable recoil. Bring on any new ones, just hope in 10 years you can still get brass!

I've been shooting .22 centerfires for 60 years. I actually built a rifle and chambered it for a "newfangled" wildcat .22 centerfire that later became the factory .22/250. In the last 10 years or so, there have been a bunch of new centerfire cartridges developed and as always they are touted by the gunwriters as the best thing next to sex! We have so many new powders available now, that it is possible to really get the maximum potential from many old and new cartridges.

Many years ago the .220 Swift was written off as a "barrel burner" because it was loaded to the maximum with powder that was very inefficient. I shoot a custom rifle chambered for .220 Ackley Improved that will shoot faster than 4,ooo fps with a new powder. The accuracy in unbelievable. I recently shat a shot group @ 100 yards that measures less than 1/2 inch. I have shot several thousand rounds thru it and there is no barrel wear.

I love .22 centerfires because they are really fun to shoot, pretty cheap to reload and little noticeable recoil. Bring on any new ones, just hope in 10 years you can still get brass!

Big Sage, you are a man after my own heart.

Although I am presently without a good .22 centerfire, I love the 22-250 and .220 Swift. But I must admit that your 220 Ackley Improved has to put a smile on a varmint hunters face.

My most accurate firearm to date was actually a pistol.

XP100 frame and bolt.

McMillan black pebble grain XP 100 style stock

Shilen match grade stainless heavy barrel, 15", chambered for..... 6mm BR with a tight next chamber.

Leopold 6 x 20 (or 24) power scope

I have one 100 yard target where I have LESS THAN a 1/4", 5 shot group. And I have a 4 shot group that measures LESS THAN .2

Bassically, its a 1 hole group. The 5th shot was never fired because I only had 4 shells when I shot it.

I traded it off about 8 years ago when I got into Cowboy shooting. It would nail mud turtles on the edge of the pond at 150+ yards.

Crows and Groundhogs were not safe within 200-250 yards with it shooting 70 grain Nosler BT. It was Awesome.

Now, I have a close range varminter in .17 Hornet. Hope to have a nice heavier weight barrel put on it this spring and start my annual spring conversations with Mr Crow and Mr Groundhog again.

Thanks for posting your 220 AI info.

..........Widder