SASS Wire Forum

WTB 38-55 LOADING COMPONENTS & SIGHTS

Hoss

Found my High Wall.

Now looking for reloading components. Brass, dies, bullets etc. Plus if anybody has any "pet loads" they want to share, please PM me.

I am also looking for a set of quality sights for the rifle as well. What has worked well for you?

One affordable source, with great products. Lee Shaver.

Been using his sights for years now. Real quality for the money. You can spend lots more, but IMHO, not get too much better.

Al

The sight has to fit the tang, of corse. I was able to buy a Browning sight for my new Winchester High Wall at a good price and love it. Lee Shaver are great sights. MVA too, but more expensive. Will PM my 38-55 recipe for 250 gr bullet--very accurate at 300 yards. Have not shot longer ranges with it yet.

Is this a new production high wall or 100 plus year old orginal

A Uberti straight stock

Do a chamber cast before you buy brass, bullets or casting moulds.

A lot of 38-55s have undersized chambers for their bore size.

Does it have a short or long chamber?

What size is the bore?

Starline Brass will probable be your best bet.

I am setting up a handi riflle in 38-55 and discovered that the bore and throat diameter is 0.380. However the chamber was too small to to chamber a round with a properly sized bullet.

Used a friends chamber reamer to open it up about 0.004 so that a round would chamber. Now I am researching moulds and the rest of the casting equipment along with sights.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Hi Hoss, i've got the same rifle. I'm shooting the 320 gr postell from buffalo arms. The bullet diameter is .379, and I'm using 42 grs of swiss 1.5 powder, fed 210 primer, starline brass,.030 veggie wad from buff arms. I'm just covering the top grease groove for the seating depth. Running lee shaver midrange soule sight, but not the economy sight they sell. Good to 516 from the garage, but its spooky accurate at 300. Oh, my bore slugged at .378. Lunger

Almost forgot, i'm running the rcbs cowboy dies withe the larger expander plug, they give you two. The other is for 376 bores, like my levergun with the badger on it. Also your rifle should take the long starline brass. Mine does, and its on the short side for my chamber. I can tell because there's a thin bit of lube extending from the end of my brass after firing. Have fun with it!

thanks for all the info. I cant wait to shoot it!