SASS Wire Forum

Help me find a TV Sound Bar

Have problems hearing spoken words over the background noise on my TV. My son tells me a sound bar would help, something about one with a center channel. Don't know what I need or where to look. I also don't want to pay a lot of money. Anybody here been through this? Thought you might watching old westerns. Can anybody offer any suggestions or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marlin

Marlin,

I have my stereo system connected to my TV (surround sound) which allows me to play around with the levels of different frequencies. Truth be told - I still have a difficult time "understanding" spoken words in a lot of movies and TV shows. It's just been easier for me, and more pleasant for my wife & kids, to use sub-titles.

Pretty much any sound bar will be a vast improvement over the tv speakers. The flat screen tv's do no have enough room in them for the thicker speakers that bass requires. We bought a sound bar for about $79 and it made a lot of difference. You can spend as much as you want on one.

Using closed captions, when available, works for me, especially watching British tv. Using wireless bluetooth headphones is good if you can set them up to your system, added bonus is that it allows you to watch tv without bothering anyone else but does tend to isolate you from others watching programs with you. There are also settings on some tvs that alow you to decrease background sound and enhance voices. Sound bars are ok, but check closed caption first

Sound bars run from $50.00 and up.... Way up.....

They all will improve the sound of your television, flat screen especially, significantly. Those is the 200.00 range will work well in most home environments. Get one without the sub-woofer unless you watch a great deal of movies on DVD.

The draw back is that if you are hard of hearing, raising the sound level may be uncomfortable to those around you.

Wireless headphones are a good choice for those with significant hearing loss as you can turn the volume up without disturbing others.

The down side is that you won't be able to hear the little lady when she calls you.

A surround sound system is a third choice that will run significantly more money than a sound bar of comparable results and will require additional speakers and wiring to set up.

My recommendation - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-soundbar-with-39-watt-digital-amplifier-black/4849500.p?skuId=4849500

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-2-0-channel-soundbar-with-bluetooth-black/4969606.p?skuId=4969606

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts

We bought a sound bar for the reason you mentioned. Bought a Samsung since most their stuff is highly rated. We have 3 tvs , 2 Sony (one an older model) and one Sharp. Could not get the sound bar to work on any of them. Couldn't even find the program area we were supposed to use. Maybe if I hired a hot shot teenager they could make it work. Might sell it to you for the right price.

Howdy,

I have learned to buy new electronics from places where I can RETURN them

easily and without hassle.

I have found sub titles to help a LOT with movies having accents.

Sometimes I have to replay as much as four times to get a particular word.

Or just put the sub titles ON. easypeasy, pard.

Background music, how LOUD does it really have to be????

Hey, email the networks. I mean it. NO reason for background to be that loud.

You might play with the sound settings. Good luck with that.

Best

CR

and yes a sound bar could help. It does have to be connected to the right wire.....................?

Edited by Chili Ron