SASS Wire Forum

laser bore sight

got a few rifles with new scopes or ladder sights that will need to be sighted in so yesterday when I was in Flagstaff I went to Sportsman warehouse and picked up a laser bore sighter - the kind you stick in the end of the barrel. Got home and stuck it in the first rifle and the light came on and faded away to nothing. Great! Now do I try replacing the batteries cause it'd cost me as much as I paid for the unit to drive back to Flagstaff or are these units just crap and I should chalk the experience up to I should have known better?

replace battery first. these things sometimes sit for long periods and they ship with cheap batteries. make sure you read instructions of distance to sight. I volunteer as range officer at my club and I regularly send people to 25 yard range to start. they argue it was bore sighted at dealer but they shoot and will be off at 25 yards by 12 inches.

• Like 1

Well Charlie, I have misplaced mine and have not seen it in several years.

The only time I used it was for my Virtual Enfield .30-06 and it got me to within

4 inches at 50 yards. Further adjustment got me on target.

Like the man said, check the batteries first and then use it to get on the paper.

I doubt that it will get you spot on.

This was all virtual you understand. :)

Probably bad batteries. I have one and have used it constantly for the last 18 years as I build a lot of guns. Remember, these thing are only to get you on target...and a big target at that. I generally boresight at about 20 yards and then take the first live shot at 20 yards and make final adjustments. From there it should only be elevation adjustments, depending on what distance you want to sight in at.

We do NOT use them for our rifles. If it is a bolt gun just take the bolt out, sight through that on the target put the bolt back in and shoot it. If a gun you can't see through the barrel shoot on large graph paper at 25yds. then adjust. Not very hard. We usually get within 2" after 4 rounds.

I've had one for about 15 years, only on my second set of batteries and it gets used a lot for teasing cats and small children.

I bore sight at 25 yards then shoot first round at 50. Usually within 3". Second round is usually right on in windage. Move out to 100 yards and adjust to be 2" high.

Replaced the batteries which required trips to half a dozen retailers to find the ones needed and now it works. Having spent $50 on the unit and now $13 on batteries it isn't the bargain I had hoped for.

Replaced the batteries which required trips to half a dozen retailers to find the ones needed and now it works. Having spent $50 on the unit and now $13 on batteries it isn't the bargain I had hoped for.

Sadly, they are seldom what they say they are these days, Charlie.