SASS Wire Forum

Value of Black Diamond 97

San Joaquin Shootist

It is my understanding that the Diamondbacks were the top of the line 97s. (Someone correct me if that is not true)

Generically, I would never cut a long barrel on a 97. I would absolutely not cut a Diamondback. If I wanted a short barreled one I'd find one that is already short, or buy a clone. I know there is not much of a "collector market" for 97's outside of SASS, but once the long barrels are gone, they can not be restored.

Admittedly, I am also an oddity in that I prefer long barrels on my shotguns for SASS. I find that I miss less. :) I'm even trying to find a way to have a long barrel put on my 93/97. (Got a lotta laughs at EoT over my 30" 97.)

Black Diamond models were a "high end" variation from the factory. But the "valuation add" for that model goes down fast as the gun is used. And your pictures show tons of wear. That is not a collectors gun at this point in its life (unless there is a "story" to the gun that makes it historically interesting), so value it just as a shooter, based upon it's condition and reliability.

Like a well used commemorative or engraved gun, there is no added value for the fancy added features.

Is it a shooter or a wall hanger?

Depends upon condition of the gun, especially the internals. And the serial number range. A good gun smith (knowledgeable about 97s) is the only way to really know. Just looking at the lettering on the slide arm, it could even be a 1900 era gun.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

What fancy extra features? I don't even see any checkering on the stock.

z4nJO1u.jpg

zMpkBk8.jpg

I would guess $1500.00 to $2000.00 for the extra barrel and gun. I would guess $1500.00 for the single gun. One has to assume that based on the exterior the guts are in great condition.

Edited by Red Cent

Appears to be a "D" model, possibly a "C" ..... Around here, it would probably bring somewhere in the neighborhood of $350. if it functions as it should. Don't see much additional value even being more than a "field" grade in that condition ?? Check places like "Gunbroker" for realistic selling price........

Appears to be a "D" model, possibly a "C" ..... Around here, it would probably bring somewhere in the neighborhood of $350. if it functions as it should. Don't see much additional value even being more than a "field" grade in that condition ?? Check places like "Gunbroker" for realistic selling price........

Yeah $200 to $300, depending on how bad the wear and parts required to make it fully functional. If the square buttress threads in the takedown are rounded off, or if there's more than the tinyist wiggle-slop in the front end where it ties in to the barrel extension, I'd pass on it altogether. Non-matching SN's on the receiver and front end would drop the value to $200, in my view, if all else is well. It looks like a parts gun. in my view.

EDIT:

From closer inspection of the photo of the worn shotgun, I see it's missing at least the hammer. It will take a detail strip, detail cleaning, close inspection, good spare parts to replace those missing, worn out or broken, etc., etc. I'd call this shotgun a wall hanger, if that. I advise you just pass on it.

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

BDs tend to be straight stock guns, just like the one in the original post.

Most shooters do better with a pistol grip. The pistol grip absorbs some of the recoil. The pistol grip is easier to point the gun when support by one hand, such as using the forward hand to grab shells off the belt. Not all shooters, but likely most.

What fancy extra features? I don't even see any checkering on the stock.

You have three grades of Black Diamond Shotgun. 1. Black Diamond 2. Black Diamond Trap Gun 3. Black Diamond Skeet Gun.

Look at the receiver for the words Trap Gun or Skeet Gun stamped. Adds much more value. I have a BD Trap Gun.

z4nJO1u.jpg

zMpkBk8.jpg

I would guess $1500.00 to $2000.00 for the extra barrel and gun. I would guess $1500.00 for the single gun. One has to assume that based on the exterior the guts are in great condition.

I'm kind of confused by the post you made here Red Cent. Those pictures are not the same 97 I am talking about. Where those pictures just examples of other random BD 97's?

Edited by San Joaquin Shootist

yes.