SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 Century Limited

Warden Callaway

20170110_134732_zpsgokxqoix.jpg

Mary and I did a drive-about last Friday and hit some gunshops that had been fruitful before. There in the racks was a Marlin 1894 Century Limited 44-40 in "safe queen" condition. Mary was attracted to it but 44-40 wasn't something we load for. And she's getting the idea we had enough guns - even Marlin 1994s. So we left without it.

When we got home and I did some homework on the model and she warmed to idea of going for it. I also agreed to pull a safe queen out to take to trade.

I knew the gunshop would be packed on Saturday and it was miserably cold out. The shop is closed on Monday. So this morning at 10:03 we pulled onto the lot. They open at 10:00 and already people were in the shop eager to do business. It took 30 minutes to get to talk with the owner - the only guy that negotiates trade.

Long story short, I feel I made a good trade. Mary's happy we got a beautiful Marlin 1894 and got rid of an ugly Remington rolling block 7mm Mauser.

Very nice rifle .

You got a gooden !

You did very well Warden those are beautiful rifles, 44/40 is no big deal to reload just takes a little patience, Both of my Marlin 44/40s have .429 bores and seem to like 200 grain .430 bullets best.

Willy B'

surely ye had to add a little boot?

Yes, Mary handed over some pictures of Ben Franklin. But I was still very pleased with the deal. No box or papers but it would be hard to tell if the gun had been fired. The action is stiff as new. No signs of brass rubbing the loading gate or carrier, etc.

Maybe because it's my baby now, the color case looks much better than I've seen on Cowboy Comp rifles. I understand the color case was done by Turnbull. It's maybe just a rumor.

Now to shoot it or make it just another safe queen? The gun is drop dead gorgeous. Our club puts down rugs at every loading table and stage. The other clubs never put down anything.

Mary's been sizing it up. But she sholdered it and worked the lever. Nothing like her Doc Hurd Marlin Cowboy Limited or her Lead Ringer Cowboy Limited.

Great rifle-However, some of the rifle barrels did however have a problem when they shipped them off to be engraved. I had to send two out of four I purchased back to Marlin due to corrosion inside the barrel. They did take care of me and I was impressed with their service. One of the shops in Prescott AZ also had the same problem. Several of my friends also purchased that model and did not have a problem. They are incredible firearms and I now wish they had just replaced the barrels.

I didn't check the bore until I got home. It is bright as a mirror.

I can't believe our good fortune of finding this rifle in the racks at a local gun shop. It was not like I was looking for one. I vaguely remember seeing one now and then on auction sites but they were too fancy and high priced to consider.

Well, it looks like the Marlin Century Limited is going to be a safe queen. I had a set of dies and brass decided on but when we pulled into Grafs I asked Mary if we were going to shoot it or not. She said we already have plenty of guns to shoot CAS, we didn't need to shoot this one. So I just got a bag of Claybuster wads and we went on the Wally-World.

Well, it looks like the Marlin Century Limited is going to be a safe queen. I had a set of dies and brass decided on but when we pulled into Grafs I asked Mary if we were going to shoot it or not. She said we already have plenty of guns to shoot CAS, we didn't need to shoot this one. So I just got a bag of Claybuster wads and we went on the Wally-World.

Oh, man! You're killing me! Hiding that pretty lady in a steel box is just a crime. I'd be happy to give her a good home and take her out for a good time every now and then. I'd even let you watch me shoot her. With Black Powder, of course. I've even got a nice '73 in .44-40 she could snuggle with while in the safe.

Your pard,

Angus

Oh, man! You're killing me! Hiding that pretty lady in a steel box is just a crime. I'd be happy to give her a good home and take her out for a good time every now and then. I'd even let you watch me shoot her. With Black Powder, of course. I've even got a nice '73 in .44-40 she could snuggle with while in the safe.

Your pard,

Angus

We'll bring it over to a match or two just to get some air time.

Mary and I were over at the range this afternoon checking on a big limb that's lodged over the caboose stage. Even with all this wind it hasn't fallen.

I've got cabin fever and ready to set up the targets if we get a good weekend day.

Black Angus, don't mean to rub salt, but I found this Century in your area.

Congratulations-What a beautiful firearm. Glad it worked out.

Black Angus, don't mean to rub salt, but I found this Century in your area.

Now that would probably really hurt if I thought ever had enough cash to pay for it. Oh, heck, it hurts anyway knowing that I didn't at least get a chance to first to walk sadly out of the store without it knowing I couldn't afford it.

But now I have to ask: Who was hiding such a pretty thing on their shelf around here? (Or is there a secret gun shop near me that I don't know about?)

Angus

p.s. I'll try to remember to bring some extra .44 WCF with me to matches in case you bring her. I'll even bring some of that smokeless stuff in case that's what she likes.