SASS Wire Forum

45/70 vs 45/90

In another thread I noticed a recommendation that the 45/90 bucked the wind better than the 45/70 because of it's higher velocity.

I thought that the 45/90 was an "express" round, that used a lighter bullet at higher velocity. (300 grains in the 45/90)vs (405 grains or 500 grains in the 45/70) . In my experience, lighter bullets are more wind sensitive than heavier bullets. So how is the 45/90 less wind sensitive than the 45/70?

Are the shooters using the heavy 45/70 bullets in the 45/90? Will the rifling twist in the replica 45/90s stabilize the heavier bullets?

And how much velocity increase is there?

Thanks,

Duffield

One consideration is the availability of brass for your rifle. I have passed up a number of them for that reason.

You are correct that a higher sectional density (heavier for the diameter) bullets buck the wind better. Hence, a 405gr or 500 gr will buck the wind better than a 300 gr bullet. There were loads in the 2.4 inch case (.45-90) that used heavier bullets. Specifically, .45-82-350 and .45-85-400. The problem at BP velocities was that bullets much heavier than 385 gr were marginal on stability in Winchester M1886 and HiWall's because they used a 1-32" rifling twist, which worked better with the 300 gr load. I once had a HiWall that had been originally a .45-70 but was rechambered to .2.4 inches. It had a 1-19" twist and would put 10 rounds into 2-5/8" at 100 yds, which isn't bad with open sights and younger eyes! I have no idea what modern replica manufacturers are using with their .45-90's. With BP, the added .3 inch to the cartridge might be an advantage over the .45-70. For smokeless, stick with the shorter cartridge.

Edited by Trailrider #896

The 86 has a slow twist for lighter bullets and wont stabilize the longer and heavier bullets much less feed.

A good source of info is Venturino's books on Leverguns and on Shooting Buffalo Rifles

Whoops i see Trailrider explained the twists.

One last tidbit. The 90 or equivalent can be a thumper for extented shot strings. You might want to shoot one first.

Edited by Yellowhouse Sam # 25171

Tangent alert here, kinda but not directly related to the topic. This thread just reminded me of this article, which you may have already read, but I enjoy it so here it is again:

http://powderburns.tripod.com/sharps.html

...now back to our regular programming...