SASS Wire Forum

Hat question

Bugler

I noticed that many of the older actors ( Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, James Arness, Glenn ford, Steve McQueen etc.) used the same hat ( sort of a trade mark) regardless of the movie that they were in....Not that they all wore the exact same style as each other.....the same style from movie to movie for each of them. Hope I am making sense....

Did they use their own hats in the movies or did the props people make sure that it was the same?

I understand using the same hat and clothing for continuity within the same production......just wondering.

Bugler

Edited by Bugler

I think many times it was more of a trademark or personal preference thing. They had a certain look that they liked and a feel they wanted to portray.

I read somewhere that Jimmy Stewart wore the exact same hat in many of his movies and it sure looks like it.

My guess is he owned the hat. It's the gray one, at least it looks gray in the old movies!

I bet the same was true with Glenn Ford. He always wears that same hat and the older it got the better it looked!

I still have my first quality cowboy hat I bought in the mid 80s had it rebuilt about ten years ago or more I had a second that my ex threw away while I was at work on day when we lived in as. It was rough about like ta's hat.

Randolph Scott had a leather jacket that he wore in most of his westerns from the late '40s on through his last one, "Ride The High Country". It's fun to watch it age from movie to movie. Our own Marshall Dan Troop knew Mr. Scott, and told me Mr. Scott continued to wear that jacket after he retired. This confirms the idea that actors owned parts of their costumes. I imagine it was the same for hats.

Edited by J-BAR #18287