SASS Wire Forum

Swarming Drones. Biggest Thing Since Nuclear Bomb? ... Frightening Potential.

Del Rio Pete

Swarming Drones.

Biggest Thing Since Nuclear Bomb?

Will revolutionize warfare?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-autonomous-drones-set-to-revolutionize-military-technology/

If you saw 60 Minutes last night, I am sure you were totally fascinated by Swarming Drones.

As always with major technological advances, there is great potential for good, but even more for evil.

Actually, very scary stuff.

Anybody know how to get the actual 60 Minute drone video to show on here?

Edited by Del Rio Pete

There's a nagging little bell ringing in the back of my head, and it's saying "This may not be such a good idea". Anything we build to be autonomous may escape control, or be remotely affected by someone else. Weaponizing a drone raises a huge question of morality - do we want to give machines the ability to kill humans without the intervention of human judgment? Is that a good idea? Did the hair on the back of your neck stand up a bit when the Naval Officer described how the drones in the "village" had control of the weapons on his craft, and could have fired rockets at that location? Like nuclear weapons - there's a genie about to be let out of the bottle.

LL

I still believe that crossbows should be banned from use against Christians. Especially against armored Christian knights! :P

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

So whaddaya think, guys... #6 shot? :huh:

I'm thinking their plastic hides might be a mite thick for 8's... :mellow:

ot-swarmb.jpg

Hm. I'm thinking steel... higher velocity could be a plus. Mebbe tungsten for closer work.

50 years ago I saw a yellow jacket, slightly larger, had a video camera could fire one round. Was being shown infantry of the future clearing a building without going inside.

Larger ones with bombs with caveat this is old stuff.

I recall reading a science fiction novel about 25 years ago where the good guys were losing on the battlefields, and changed their tactics to use a "hive" of inexpensive flying drones that could communicate to each other and were armed with small bombs that, when they combine to kamikaze into a single target, was enough to destroy virtually anything on the battlefield.

I watched them vids... and I can't see nothin'... maybe a buncha starlin's tryin' to flock... gotta be lil'bitty.

That computer map-thing... a buncha friggin' movin' dots on a map... what is that 'bout?

What's scary 'bout that?

ts

This is just a demonstration of capabilities. In actual use the drones would more likely be bigger, like the Predator, and be able to carry missiles and bombs.

I watched 'em agin... are they like artificial birds or somethin'? Never seen one. And they drop 'em outta jets? What the hell for?

This is a mystery to me.

Pardon me folks... health-wise... I ain't just right.

But before I go... I do want to understand.

ts

This is just a demonstration of capabilities. In actual use the drones would more likely be bigger, like the Predator, and be able to carry missiles and bombs.

Well... that is a consideration I never thought of. Thanks, Marshal... not sure that I ever told you how much I appreciated your educational posts. Thanks, buddy.

ts