SASS Wire Forum

BPCR sights.....

Knarley Bob

I have had Pedersoli sights on a couple rifles. The real spendy ones and their mid range ones. The really spendy ones, are kind of sloppy, and have twice as many hash marks as need be. The not so spendy ones, are a lot easier to read, but still have slop, or back lash when adjusting them.

I put a "Kelly" sight on one of my rifles, and my my,that was a WHOLE lot better.

I have heard good things about MVA sights, but never used one..

Seeing as I'll be needing some new sights down the road, AND it is the middle of winter, I figgured this would be a good time to discuss sights ...........

So, how do the sights compare to one another, I know I have mentioned three brands, but we need not limit it to just those, as long as they are "quality" sights. Front and rear.

Thanks,

Knarley

I have the MVA Soule long range site. It's their tallest. I then purchased bases for each rifle I would use the site on.

I have the hooded front site with a spirit level and the inserts can be changed out to whatever type you want. Post aperature etc..

They make top quality sites. Get a soule, the windage readings are much better and easier to see.

Ike

I have a kelley soule on my c sharps 4590 hiwall, and no movement. Price is 500 for the long range I have on it, plus the front, about 100 without looking it up...... Bought mva long range for my wife's 4065 hiwall, and no movement. Her system gouged me for approximately 700 dollars, and I had to wait for them to get a part or something, and they told me when I'd receive it. Weeeeeks went by after their due date, and I'd call and they'd say ill have it nin 2 more weeks. This went back and forth for a long time and I finally got it. Wrongs screws, but I got it, and the hole spacing was correct. I got the correct screws from another source, and the rifle was finally up and running. The mva sights are quality, but no better than my Kelly sights. I received the Kelley sights in 2 days with the correct screws. The mva front sight had to be shimmed to stay in the dovetail. This wouldn't normally bother me, but it was a long way off of the c sharps dovetail. I attempted to buy another set of mva sights for my 90, before I bought the Kelley sights. They gave me the same song and dance, and got me waiting a long time again. After the second due date, I told the lady to cancel my order. My kelley sights arrived two days later, and they are great! Very repeatable, no movement, and look better than the mva system on my wifes gun. Both are top quality, but if you're trying to hand someone some money for a product and they won't give it to you after lying about it every two weeks, forget em! Lunger

I can't speak to Lunger's experience. If that's how MVA is doing business these days then I too would steer clear.

However, I have two MVA sights that are always spot on and completely repeatable. My brother and I stopped at MVA on the way home from Quigley a few years ago because my brother had managed to rack his sight. They took it in back, realigned it and had it back to him in just a few minutes. We considered that to be pretty good customer service.

But, things change. My favorite bullet supplier says on their web site that if a bullet is out of inventory it will be back in stock in one to three weeks. They have been out of stock since August. A phone call did not get a satisfactory answer.

I guess it's the way the modern gun business rolls.

Check out the Lee Shavers sights from Lee Shavers or Buffalo Arms, nice quality, reasonable price, solid, no woble!

TB

I have the MVA Soule long range site. It's their tallest. I then purchased bases for each rifle I would use the site on.

I have the hooded front site with a spirit level and the inserts can be changed out to whatever type you want. Post aperature etc..

They make top quality sites. Get a soule, the windage readings are much better and easier to see.

Ike

+4 MVA Soule sites.

Most of the sights came with the rifles I have bought along the way. I also started out with MVA's tallest, and the one the has the most windage (real handy when shooting 1000 yards). All my rifles wear the MVA sight bases except one. Its a Baldwin, its a really nice sight. But the Baldwin screws turn opposite direction than the MVA. Nothing wrong with that, except but my habit is to think its an MVA and that can be confusing at times. As for front sights, all my rifles have globes with the inserts and bubble level. The level comes into play at the longer ranges. It keeps canting errors to a minimum.

While I started out with an MVA front sight, it didn't take long to figure out that was a mistake. That little tab on top of the sight that holds the inserts in the sight snags on everything and it isn't long before it breaks off and you lose the insert. You have to send the sight back to MVA for repair. I now use globe sites have screw in caps to keep the insert in place, much better. I install mine so the screw cap faces the muzzle. A lot easier to use that way, just stand the rifle up on it's butt and work the screw. I have used Baldwin front sights for years now, and have found had no reason to change.

I live only 70 miles from Buffalo Arms so I use Kelley Sights. My C. Sharps .50-140 3-1/4" carries their extra long range rear

staff with engraving on both sides. Both front and rear sights have no wobble and they appear to be quite reliable. Certainly,

they aren't recoil sensitive.