SASS Wire Forum

1873 or 92 rossi,taylor,cimarron or uberti

Chicago kidd

Hello guys im hopping to buy my last gun for sass shooting.i have a stoger coach gun and a pair of ruger 38/357 vaquero's.I dont have a lot of money yet but in your opion would you buy a cheap rossi 92 and get started or wait to get a 73 and what brand is most popular

If I lived in Chicago, I'd be lookin' for a Chicago Typewriter......

But since thats not CAS legal, a '92 will suffice very well until a '73 or '66 is in the budget.

Most 73's are made by Uberti....... Taylor's, Cimarron etc are the importers.

Just get a good Rossi 92 and shoot it for a year, by then you will Know what lever gun you really want.

I started with a Rossi 357,because thats is what I could afford.It aloud me to start shooting.It was slick up by Nate.I still have it and I really like it.I deer hunt and hog hunt with it and take it to shoots as my back up and loan rifle.I shoot a 73 uberti 357.Good luck with you hunt.

Cry once and buy a 73. A 92 will leave you quickly frustrated, and wishing you had just saved a little more a bought a 73. Both the Uberti and the Winchesters are excellent rifles. The Uberti is competition proven and spare parts are readily available. The Winchester 73 is also a fine choice but parts are scarce.

PS the Taylors & Co. and the Cimarron are both Uberti's they are just importers, not manufacturers. The only difference is the roll stamp on the barrel.

Edited by John Barleycorn, SASS #76982
  • Like 4

I started with a 94 Winchester, then a Rossi 92 and now a Winchester 73. I still have the others but shoot only the 73. I'm not worried about parts. John Barleycorn can set you up with one for good money. Check the Merchant section.

Cry once and buy a 73. A 92 will leave you quickly frustrated, and wishing you had just saved a little more a bought a 73. Both the Uberti and the Winchesters are excellent rifles. The Uberti is competition proven and spare parts are readily available. The Winchester 73 is also a fine choice but parts are scarce.

PS the Taylors & Co. and the Cimarron are both Uberti's they are just importers, not manufacturers. The only difference is the roll stamp on the barrel.

Thats really Not true at all.

The 92 slicked up right is a excellent cowboy gun .

Most (90%) Shooters can NOT out run a slick 92.

Before the short stroke kits come out for 66 and 92 or Marlin .

The 92 was a fast rifle and a world champion gun.

So yes a 92 is a good gun .

If you ever get to the point of out running the 92 .

You can sell it for about what you got in too it .

Most keep them becouse they are just about indestructible guns.

A lot of people will say cry once and buy once .

But most people got sucked in too buying a 66 or 73.

Because thats what the Top Shooters use .

But about only 10% of the shooters are in that top class of shooters.

The rest of us merror mortals would be just fine with a 92 .

If your heart is set on a 66 or a 73 .

Then by all means ,

It would be cheaper in the long run to wait and save your money.

But if you just want to get out and start shooting Cowboy .

A 92 will serve you well for many years .

Yes I own a 66 and a 73 and even a 1860 Henry.

But thats because I liked the guns and bought them all used and at a right price .

I have two 92s .( that I would never part with )

And have used them now for 9 years for Cowboy action shooting.

You dont need to get all caught up in the Myth ,

You MUST have what the top 10% of the shooters in the game shoot .

Buy what you can and have Fun !

Its just a Game .

PS. So now lets see the BS fly :-)

Chicago, you are funny.... "my last gun for sass shooting."

If you take this game seriously, this will not likely be your last gun.

The Rossi is a good copy of the Winchester 92. I started with one in .357 but now only shoot original 92s and toggle actions (Uberti 1860 and original 1873s).

The 1860, 1866 and 1873 presents the round in line with the bore, instead of at an angle, like the Marlin, the 1892, the Win 1894 and the Henry Big Boy. The carrier simply lifts the cartriddge from the mag tube to the barrel and stays horizontal the whole cycle.

I am a very average shooter who can cut 2 to 2.5 seconds for a ten shot string with my 1860 or 1873 versus the 92.

Chicago Kidd,

Just a piece of advice, buy what you want or what "trips your trigger"...pun intended.

Like you, when I started funds were tight but I "needed" to get started and I bought a Stoeger, a .357 Vaquero and a Win. 94. Then I discovered I needed 2 revolvers to shoot in SASS. I never knew or realized that if I showed up to a match someone (many someone's) would have loaned me a revolver just so I could shoot. I waited another few months before I could afford that 2nd gun.

My point here is take your revolvers and your shotgun and go to a match. I am sure someone will loan you a rifle. It might just be one of the ones you listed. Tell folks you are looking to buy a rifle but you aren't sure what you want. I can guarantee you that you will get a paddle of offers to try different rifles. You may find that the one you like isn't one you favored or the "most popular".

Me, I shot that 94 for years before I picked up a Marlin 1894 because I really couldn't afford another new gun. But I had a lot of fun, and that is the main thing.

If money is tight a 92 will get you in the door but if you can wait and save for what you want go to matches anyway. Someone will help you out and who knows, someone might just sell you the best rifle you ever owned at one of those matches for the money you have set aside now.

I have shot in SASS for years and loaned out guns and gear but was always too proud to ask for help. The last match I was at my gun jammed up. I had immediate offers of 3 different rifles to use. It brought a tear to my eye. The people of SASS are the best people I know.

Go to a match and talk to folks. They will help you.

Welcome to the fun! :-)

Thats really Not true at all.

The 92 slicked up right is a excellent cowboy gun .

Most (90%) Shooters can NOT out run a slick 92.

Before the short stroke kits come out for 66 and 92 or Marlin .

The 92 was a fast rifle and a world champion gun.

So yes a 92 is a good gun .

If you ever get to the point of out running the 92 .

You can sell it for about what you got in too it .

Most keep them becouse they are just about indestructible guns.

A lot of people will say cry once and buy once .

But most people got sucked in too buying a 66 or 73.

Because thats what the Top Shooters use .

But about only 10% of the shooters are in that top class of shooters.

The rest of us merror mortals would be just fine with a 92 .

If your heart is set on a 66 or a 73 .

Then by all means ,

It would be cheaper in the long run to wait and save your money.

But if you just want to get out and start shooting Cowboy .

A 92 will serve you well for many years .

Yes I own a 66 and a 73 and even a 1860 Henry.

But thats because I liked the guns and bought them all used and at a right price .

I have two 92s .( that I would never part with )

And have used them now for 9 years for Cowboy action shooting.

You dont need to get all caught up in the Myth ,

You MUST have what the top 10% of the shooters in the game shoot .

Buy what you can and have Fun !

Its just a Game .

PS. So now lets see the BS fly :-)

+1000

BTW all Rossi 92s will need to be slicked up. Do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined for less than 100.00. (By the parts and video from Steve's Gunz or buy a 92 ready to go from them.

I have 4 and few shooters can out run one.

You will save more time per stage with efficient transitions and smooth SG loading than you will with the difference in times between a 92 and 73 or 66.

Howdy,

A couple thoughts.....

You could get a nice 92 all ready to run from Steve Young...Nate Kiowa Jones.

Tell him Chili Ron sent ya, if you think of it.

Later if you come across a 73 at a good price you could keep the 92 as a

decent backup. I once bought a marlin and wanted to sell my old 92.

Then the dreaded marlin jam set in. I was very happy that the 92 didn't sell yet.

And I suggest you budget a few dollars a week or month for cowboy related expense.

Maybe instead of three starbucks a day, just have two.

Set aside the price of one a day.

That can give you a 'regular' allocation for fun.

and you might put your state on your profile...

Best

CR

I had one of those 'slicked' up 92's, didn't work for @#$%! Talk about dealing with frustration, and fighting your rifle everytime you used it.....ugh.....this is were I heed the 'buy once cry once' school of thought. Ended up selling it for dirt cheap, the guy who bought it spent alot of time tinkering with it, and got it running real good. But that was my experience, which isn't definitive.

Maybe ask around the clubs you want to shoot at, somebody might have something taking up space that they'd be willing to sell at an affordable price for you.

Sometimes there's good deals here in the classifieds. Keep an eye out.

Hey there chili Ron,i'm from illinois ,The Chicago Kidd,i'm thinking ill just wait until i have enough to get a good gun something that can get slicked up.Once i have the funds i''ll start shopping on here first and see if i can get a deal on something all ready to go .i have watched a few matches at the Oak Park Sportsman Club in plainfield il. The Fort Beggs Regulatios and it looked like a lot of fun.I just retired last year at 62 and ready to enjoy it..i have talked to a few guys there and had lunch there but i'm

kind of embarrassed to ask to use someones gun.like i said i only need the rifle.well i think my next step is to get a little more saved and i'll be all set ..thank everyone for your input.and everyone have a safe and great new year.

I recently purchased one of the new Winchesters from Mr Barleycorn and I have to say it's currently the best looking gun in the safe. The case coloring is absolutely fantastic and the wood is hands down better than anything you see from uberti. I say this as a guy that loves my uberti. But the Winchester, out of the box, is now my main match gun and the uberti is the backup. A rifle that good looking deserves to be shot and shot often.

Like many of us, I started with a Rossi '92, then went to 1873's, but the longer I play the game, the more I like Marlins. I've owned ten 1892's (1 Browning, 9 Rossi's), currently still have seven, and have never been "frustrated" with them. If you're willing to go with .44 mag, decent Marlins, even JM Marlins, can be had in the mid-$500 range. There's a very nice JM .44 mag on gunbroker right now that has been relisted several times starting at $549/BIN $599, with no bids.

Good Post, J Bar.

I was wondering why the OP had ruled out a Marlin.

Its not like they can't run 10 shots in under 2 seconds, with proper mods and tuning.

And its not like the Marlin can't run thousands of rounds and still be tough as an anvil.

I like the 73's and 92's. But if a person is looking for a rifle, ya owe it to yeself to also check out a couple Marlins.

..........Widder

Hey there chili Ron,i'm from illinois ,The Chicago Kidd,i'm thinking ill just wait until i have enough to get a good gun something that can get slicked up.Once i have the funds i''ll start shopping on here first and see if i can get a deal on something all ready to go .i have watched a few matches at the Oak Park Sportsman Club in plainfield il. The Fort Beggs Regulatios and it looked like a lot of fun.I just retired last year at 62 and ready to enjoy it..i have talked to a few guys there and had lunch there but i'm

kind of embarrassed to ask to use someones gun.like i said i only need the rifle.well i think my next step is to get a little more saved and i'll be all set ..thank everyone for your input.and everyone have a safe and great new year.

Call their contact man and tell him you are coming to a match and that you would like to borrow guns. Most clubs will have a set ready for you to play. Nobody looks down on you for borrowing. Most of us did to get started.

Get the one you can afford and GO SHOOT!!!!

I'm shooting an NKJ '92 that I got for a good price, two Taurus Gauchos that I got for a good price and a Stoeger SxS that I got through work. If I had waited for the guns I "wanted" and hope to someday have, I would've had to sell some other guns that I don't want to part with, make other sacrifices, or just not shoot. I prefer to shoot. I prefer to enjoy the company of other shooters. I compete against myself. Maybe one day I will find myself competitive with others. In the meanwhile, I shoot. Not as often as I would like, but I shoot.

Like many of us, I started with a Rossi '92, then went to 1873's, but the longer I play the game, the more I like Marlins. I've owned ten 1892's (1 Browning, 9 Rossi's), currently still have seven, and have never been "frustrated" with them. If you're willing to go with .44 mag, decent Marlins, even JM Marlins, can be had in the mid-$500 range. There's a very nice JM .44 mag on gunbroker right now that has been relisted several times starting at $549/BIN $599, with no bids.

+1

44 mag Marlin is the most economical rifle- ammunition aside...And it'll outrun the 92.

+1

44 mag Marlin is the most economical rifle- ammunition aside...And it'll outrun the 92.

I have owned 10 or 12 Marlins .

Marlins jam way more then the 92 does .

Just sold the last two Marlins I had .

I would shoot a 92 over a Marlins any day of the week .

But hay thats Me .

Your Milage may differ :-)

I have owned 10 or 12 Marlins .

Marlins jam way more then the 92 does .

Just sold the last two Marlins I had .

I would shoot a 92 over a Marlins any day of the week .

But hay thats Me .

Your Milage may differ :-)

Very much different. I have a speed limit with a 92. Still like'em.

Spur was unbelieveably good at getting a Marlin right. Carty is too.

Widder can perform magic on a Marlin. Widder has worked on two of mine. A 44-40 and a 357. Amazingly smooth and reliable.

I need to see if he can tune another 44-40 of mine. Its is super slick but extracts and ejects poorly.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

Thanks for posting Dan.

Here's another video showing a wide range of OAL ammo on the table being put into a WIddermajik, PLUS, a nice .38 Widdermatic which belongs to a good friend in Michigan.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Thats nice set up for the Marlin .

But is it something the average guy can do himself ?

Or has to send it in to Widomaker to make it run like that .

A guy can buy and slick a 92 by himself.

I will give credit were credit is do.

Thats a nice setup Widomaker has put out .

Howdy Rooster.

The details of modifying the 1894 into the 'Widdermatic' is covered on Marauders website, along with some other GREAT stuff for many types of rifles and pistols.

There are quite a few Cowboys who have modified their Marlins to be like this.

Cheyenne Culpepper has modified one of his Marlins for the .38 and one of our Wire Pards, Warden Callaway, has modified one of his Marlins into the C45S cartridge.

Billy The Avenger also modified his .38 Marlin and it is super slick. I think his wife,TACO, uses it but not sure. With Billy, you never know what he's gonna pull out of the gun case..... ;)

Have a great day.

P.S. - sent you a PM

..........Widder

Rooster,

Yes, you could probably do these mods.

I personally do don't have the time or patience for detailed wood or metal work. I tend to remove more than I can replace. I rely on professionals such as Hogleg Smith and Widdowmaker Hill.

My apologies to the OP if this gets too far off the topic, but I wanted to add one more thing about the Marlin 1894.

These are good rifles... period. Strong and reliable.

From the factory, some of them need some special attention to help them function better. BUT, a good many of them will function much better with just some minor smoothing and spring changes.

EXAMPLE: if your lever is hard to open and close, this can be remedied by polishing the plunger hole in the lever with about 1500-2000 grit paper. And then polish up the plunger to slide easy in and out of that hole. Then add a LongHunter or Slick McClade lever plunger spring and your lever will feel much better. Personally, I use a spring designed for medical equipment usage. Sometimes, even a good, proper cut ink pen spring works better than the factory.

Change out the hammer spring (LongHunter or Slick) and trim the mag tube spring to be about 3-4 inches longer than the mag tube. Plus, LongHunter and Slick both have excellent Stainless springs to replace your factory magtube.

Polish the inside of your mag tube to help keep rust out also.

'Tweak' your Extractor and Ejector springs, as shown on Marauders website, and these will help.

Just these few little things help a lot.

Most Marlins don't need to be highly modified in order to run well. In my opinion, they do need some special mods in order to run real fast, smooth and RELIABLE.

Hope this info helps somewhat, especially if the OP might be considering an 1894 Marlin.

..........Widder