SASS Wire Forum

Schofield clone question

One of my friends, who does not shoot SASS but loves the guns from the era, recently acquired a Uberti copy of a Schofield revolver. He says the cylinder ring that normally develops on revolvers is much deeper than he would like to see, abnormally deep even, despite only 30 rounds having gone through the gun.

I was in my friend's gun shop the other day and saw another Uberti Schofield on the shelf. It also had a deep cylinder ring, more deep than what typically develops on revolvers.

So is this problematic to the design? What gives? My friend was talking about replacing the cylinder and correcting whatever the problem is, but if it is typical of that gun, he shouldn't bother.

Not sure what you mean by deep, but even the S&W Performance Center Schofields develop a ring around the cylinder immediately upon rotation.

I have pics of "unfired" PC schofields as well as my match guns (since 2004) if interested.

Here is a "Test fired only" Nickel plated S&W PC Schofield. It has the ring.

WFC.jpg

I also have some pics of original Schofields that have the ring.

Edited by Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L

All revolvers get "the ring,"..... My question is about a deeper-than-normal ring.

"Deeper than normal" is subjective. Without pics, it's hard to say. Adding on, how does the pistol function with the "deeper than normal" ring? Is there any other abnormal wear?

All revolvers get "the ring," whether they are single action or double action. My question is about a deeper-than-normal ring.

"Nickel is harder" might explain why the nickel plated gun does not have do deep a circle, but without know anything else about the guns, I can't explain anything else.

All revolvers get "the ring," whether they are single action or double action. My question is about a deeper-than-normal ring.

Not true!!! A perfectly timed Colt or Clone will not have a ring around the cylinder. I have 3 Colts and 2 clones and only one has a ring because I bought it used with the ring on it. It's timed okay now though. Rugers will get a ring almost immediatley but NOT Colts or clones!!

I bought a "used" Ruger Vaquero off GB last year. It showed up and appears to be totally unturned. No sign at all of a cylinder ring. So far I have kept it in the box. I almost hate to start shooting it as it is the only Ruger I have out of my pile of Rugers that is ringless.

• Like 1

My Smith and Wesson. No ring. :D

Schofield.jpg