How many categories.

Attica Jack  #23953

At turn of the century (2000), there were standard and ladies categories for:

Modern - (adjustable revolver sights)

Traditional - (fixed sights)

Duelist

Buckaroo Junior

Frontier Cartridge Mod and Traditional

and some of the age modifications (Senior being most common)

The finer age splits (Buckaroo, Young Gun, Wrangler, 49er, Silver Senior, Elder Statesman, Cattle Baron), Classic Cowboy (about 2004) and B Western (about 2006) came later.

As I recall....

And, with your SASS number in the 29K range, I'd have thought you had been around since mid 1990s.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Hi Jack,

I started in May 1999. The following were the only categories: Junior, Traditional, Modern, Senior, Duelist, FC Duelist, FC, GF, and the Ladies versions.

In 2000, they added 49er.

I don't remember the year, but it was later that Junior was split to Young Guns and Buckaroos.

Regards,

Allie

• Like 1

I thought it was just a handful....thanks everyone. Started as a duelist, now silver senior duelist.

Only if a match director decides to award Silver Senior Duelist.

And that is usually driven from several shooters requesting such a category. And it has to be balanced against the match funds and everyone's time it takes to make the extra awards for a match.

SSD is not an official category that must be awarded.

Your concern sounds like it should be forwarded to the Match Director of the appropriate event.....

Remember, though, the game is bigger than it was in the 1990s, with more shooters and more events. To have expected the game to have stayed "just as it was invented" is off the mark.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Just for giggles, consider this... At a scheduled monthly match, at the WSSC in Evansville,IN in July 2004 (pre-SASS affiliation), we had 61 shooters in seven (7) categories and provided awards to the top three in each...nice trophies at that. Eleven years later....same month.....60 shooters.......nineteen (19) categories.....still trying to provide nice awards as before.......???

The issue, it seems to me...is that it is not that a category is offered...it is the award situation that is created. Maybe I'm offbase here...but if you want paper certificates again...clubs can afford just so much.........go for it!!

Maybe limited categories got dominated by the better shooters.....imagine that.........so more categories made it more inviting for more shooters....well, bring the categories on........we will all have a bunch of fun which is what this whole deal is really about.

Just the view from my saddle....... :)

At turn of the century (2000), there were standard and ladies categories for:

Modern

Traditional

BuckarooJunior

Frontier Cartridge Mod and Traditional

and some of the age modifications (Senior being most common)

The finer age splits (Buckaroo, Young Gun, Wrangler, 49er, Silver Senior, Elder Statesman, Cattle Baron), Classic Cowboy (about 2004) and B Western (about 2006) came later.

As I recall....

And, with your SASS number in the 29K range, I'd have thought you had been around since mid 1990s.

Good luck, GJ

I believe the first buckaroo was around 98' or 99' :-)

They added Elder Statesman for me, followed by Cattle Baron when I qualified and added Grand Patron when I turned 80. I am looking forward to my category at 85!!!

My 90 one should be called Survivor.

I enjoy shooting in a posse of Grand Patrons. Often both of us need to go to the bathroom so there's no problem

delaying the match.

My secret to winning matches: Outlive your competitors".

Silver Senior Duelist is not an official SASS category but for the last 3 of 4 years at the Michigan Range War it was available for us Silver Seniors, I think we had 12 or 15 shoot it.

Then it sounds like the Match Director and other match officials made a good call, that there were a healthy number of contestants allowed to shoot in that peer group with like minded and capability shooters, and that if awards went 3 deep for the category, most pards probably thought they were "recognized" properly.

Which, after all, is one of the core ways to "keep the customers happy."

Good luck, GJ

B-Western started in 2005, if I'm not mistaken. I think the first world Champion was Shotgunner from AR. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but remember I did say "I think".

Slick

Hi Slick,

As I have more time today, I'm checking my TG Summit notes on these comments. Slick is close. It was voted to become a category at the 2005 TG Summit and became an official category in 2006.

Regards,

Allie

According to my list of EOT winners, not including Men's and Ladies Overall, there were 13 SASS category winners named at EOT. I have one category that shows winners in 1999 and 2001, but not one in 2000, that's Senior Lady. 49er was added in 2003, same year the two "International" (Men's and Ladies) were dropped. Wrangler added in 2009, after "Traditional" & "Modern" were last recognized in 2008. Junior was added in 1985.

My Feb, 2000 SASS Shooter's Handbook lists 6 categories for style, firearm and propellant categories, and 3 age categories. Match Director's were allowed to recognize Women, Junior, Senior and Elder Statesman for any subdivision of those 6 categories, but was not obligated to do so.

Yes, B-Western was first recognized with an EOT Winner in 2005 (Shotgunner, SASS#55550).

Edited by Griff

Griff, I shot L49 at the 2000 CA State Match.

As noted elsewhere, match directors are free to include categories as they see fit... how about at EOT 2000? Mind ya, the original list is the personal recollections of myself and a couple of others, pretty wired in folks, that go back to nearly the very beginning, and at least one that does... for some research for an article... and while we believe it is as accurate as us frail humans can make it... there just might be a mistake, lapse, goof, boo-boo, faux pas... nah, couldn't happen... Hey, we're talking what's his name here!

Like I said, couldn't have been a mistake in the data... readin' what's there, sure... (them damn moving columns)! I was wrong above, EOT recognized 49er & L49er in 2003, won respectively by, Lassiter Hunter #22846 & Squaw Creek Rose #18670

Edited by Griff

I think the categories in 2000 were: traditional, modern, duelist, junior, and blackpowder. Ladies were modern, traditional, I can't remember if there was a lady duelist.

Edited by Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L

I think the categories in 2000 were: traditional, modern, duelist, junior, and blackpowder. Ladies were modern, traditional, I can't remember if there was a lady duelist.

Lady Duelists have been recognized with championships at EOT since 1998. Won by Dixie Belle, SASS #5366.

From the Feb 2000 SHB table of contents (covers 5 pages of text):

EQUIPMENT AND SHOOTER CATEGORIES

MODERN

TRADITIONAL

FRONTIER CARTRIDGE

DUELIST

GUNFIGHTER

FRONTIERSMAN

WOMEN, JUNIOR, SENIOR, AND ELDER

STATESMAN COMPETITORS

When I started in 2000 there was no Frontier Cartridge Duelist. I shot in FC for a year or two before FCD became official.

And first recognized by Category wins at EOT of 2003, Calvin N. Hobbes, SASS# 17218. Although, EOT has used categories before they were made "official".

Edited by Griff

I was always told you can come back if you bring Blue Boy. He's still kicking so I continue to get to shoot. I'll shut up now.

Imis

Edited by Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646

I have a question? My SASS number is 23953, I think I became a member around 2000ish. Does any one remember how many categories we had back them? I know it wasn't as many as we have now. Thanks

Going back to 1993 (addendum insert in the Chronicle)

October%201993%20insert-XL.jpg

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

Going back to 1993 (addendum insert in the Chronicle)

October%201993%20insert-XL.jpg

Won that year by "Tex", with some hi-falutin' SASS # of 4.

I think we need six or eight more categories and an award for participating. :D

YEA, I recollect, back in the day, the argument was that Modern HAD to be eliminated, as there were TOO MANY categories . In retrospect, that excuse has been shown to be what it was- Bravo Sierra <_< JohnHenryQuick hits it square-on; the format seems to attempt to set so many win/place /show opportunities, that those ribbons ( figurative ribbons, that is ) have nearly no bearing on whether a competitor actually did something noteworthy.

Edited by Conestoga Smith, SASS #18219

We need an "Animal Lovers" category divided into kitty cats, dogs and Miscellaneous. I am considering age

groups for age, both men and women, youth, humans and animals. We should go at least ten places places deep

overall and five places for each category and at least three places for each sub category.

Nah... Way back inna Wabac (Sherman and Mr Peabody), we had Gunfighter. We finally added Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter. So ...... today, we have TWO.

Coffinmaker

:wub:

They hate guns worse that Bloomburg!

This sentence disappeared.

My kities don't even like to be out when I shoot on one of my ranges.