SASS Wire Forum

AWA revolver problem

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I have a pair of AWA revolvers for my main match guns. At the match yesterday, one of them developed a problem. The locking lug will not drop down when I put the hammer to half-cock. So I cannot get the cylinder to rotate.

1- What causes this?

2- Do you have any suggestions about removing stuck screws? It has two I can't get out and I'm afraid I'm going to bugger them badly if I keep trying. I have some oil soaking on them now, but I don't have any other ideas.

Up to three things is/are broke.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Uberti-33543/BlackPowderRevolvers-43430/1873SingleActionCattleman-37956.htm

That is a schematic of a single action. Look at #12. That is the bolt/cylinder stop. There are two legs sticking back. One of those legs rides on protuberance on the other side of the hammer. It is a cam and as the hammer is cocked it raises a back leg causing the bolt to pivot and drop down and release the cylinder. The cam like protuberance is shaped so that just before the cylinder indentation gets to the bolt, the leg falls of the cam and the bolt pops up and stops the cylinder.

Since the bolt will not drop I will cross off #19 (trigger and bolt spring) since it seems it is doing its job. One of the legs on the thing we used to call a stirrup is broke or the cam is worn.

Edited by Red Cent

Up to three things is/are broke.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Uberti-33543/BlackPowderRevolvers-43430/1873SingleActionCattleman-37956.htm

That is a schematic of a single action. Look at #12. That is the bolt/cylinder stop. There are two legs sticking back. One of those legs rides on protuberance on the other side of the hammer. It is a cam and as the hammer is cocked it raises a back leg causing the bolt to pivot and drop down and release the cylinder. The cam like protuberance is shaped so that just before the cylinder indentation gets to the bolt, the leg falls of the cam and the bolt pops up and stops the cylinder.

Since the bolt will not drop I will cross off #19 (trigger and bolt spring) since it seems it is doing its job. One of the legs on the thing we used to call a stirrup is broke or the cam is worn.

Yep, I too am betting it's the bolt finger broke off or the cam on the hammer worn away.

Would those be the older AWA Peacekeeper or Longhorn models. Those were all made with ASM early 1st gen style parts and were notorious for going out of time. The early bolt fingers were real pointy/sharp and the cams were soft so the cams wore away regularly.

The new AWA's are much better. They are made with Pietta parts they all have pressed in hardened cams and 2nd/3rd gen bolts with a more rounded tip.