Rye Miles #13621

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Leave the case figure zero

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

My cost per round is about $0.03 or $33.71/1000

Neat. I'm cheap!

My cost per round .069 or 3.46 /69.14/1000

Not so bad if you look at 200gr 44 specials are 46.00 a box of 50 in the store !

Wouldn't that cost only cover the primer? Do you make your own bullets and powder?

I cast my own bullets, I have a couple hundred pounds that I've collected and melted down that didn't cost me anything. I use very little powder in my .38's. I just plugged in what the powder cost me and what I get for my primers and that's what it came up with.

• Like 1

I cast my own bullets, I have a couple hundred pounds that I've collected and melted down that didn't cost me anything. I use very little powder in my .38's. I just plugged in what the powder cost me and what I get for my primers and that's what it came up with.

Do you count your bullet casting time as $0?

The cost of casting needs to include fuel , and bullet lube adds too ...

I have several tons of free lead,,,,, but I burned a gallon of gas to pick it up ,,,, so it's Cheap not Free...

And when I'm casting ,,, I'm not making money fixing Guns ....

So cast Bullets ain't free but sure CAN be worth doing ... Long-range bullets and those for FCD come to mind ...

Jabez Cowboy

I picked up most of the lead while working and from friends in construction that didn't want to pay for disposal, far as I'm concerned it's recycled waste even been paid to cart some off. Cost of acquisition=0.

Casting's a hobby. I use it to have something better to do than watch the idiot box. Time spent =+1.

Sure the fuel costs some but it's a negligible amount.

Bullet lube is cheap. $5-7 for a tube that'll lube 1000+ bullets?

Molds were gifts so... yeah no cost there.

Far as I'm concerned it's about near free as it gets.

My only real cost has been brass, primers, and powder. Somehow I have more brass than what I've bought by a couple of hundred rounds. I get good deals on primers and powder.

Shooting my cowboy loads has turned out to be fairly cheap. That's why I like it.

With more expensive primers and bullets Im still at $.09 per. Way better than $.45 or so for factory. All equipment was amortized out years ago.

Thanks Rye Miles

Imis

Up here .38-40 Cost about 175 dollars per hundred to buy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, For smokieless...

For $1.75 Canadian per shot...

If I buy bullets from local caster and load with Goex 3F my per Shot cost is 27 cents ....

Smokeless loads buying bullets my cost per shot is 15.25 cents ...

If I cast and lube my own and load using Goex 3F I can get the cost down to just under 20 cents per shot ...

This is for full case loads of powder ..... No added substances ....

Jabez Cowboy

I enjoy casting. The sound of a bullet hitting the water bucket sounds just like money. Got some invested in molds but those are free after the first casting session. Lead was free. I cast for those that get it to me but I still call it free.

Wow. You guys are amazing.

My light little 105 gr 38 specials cost 8 cents a piece.

Gamer!!! :P

$0.106 per - $5.29/50 - 105.84/1000 for 185 grain 45 Colt when I cast. $0.163 per - $8.14/50 - $162.73/1000 when I purchase the 200 gr 45s. And you can't just plug a $0 in for case cost. Get real. You have to figure out the number of reloads you get on brass, because unless you have a no-cost steady source of replacement brass, it ain't free. I just ball-parked the 45 Colt brass to be good for around 20 reloads. And I think that's a pretty conservative estimate.

$0.134 per for the BP rounds, as I cast those. Even if I purchased new brass each time I loaded, I'm still at only $16.96/50 buying brass, primers, powder, cases & bullets (already lubed). Basically HALF the cost of new ammo of the same bullet weight, etc.

Gamer!!! :P

Hey, between bullet and powder that's almost 108 grains added to the cartridge case. And figure five in each pistol and ten in the rifle...

That's a couple thousand grains per stage.

What am I? Hercules?

Hey, between bullet and powder that's almost 108 grains added to the cartridge case. And figure five in each pistol and ten in the rifle...

That's a couple thousand grains per stage.

What am I? Hercules?

Ha ha do you shoot them all at the same time??? :P

I hope I did something wrong or I'm not gonna be able to shoot many matches this year.

It says my black powder 44-40 loads are costing me $30.13 per round.

I figured my old BP rounds with 32 grs of BP, $27.00 for primers and $100.00 for bullets and got $9.32 for a box of 50

Yea you did something wrong!!! :lol:

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

Cool tool..... used it to determine extra cost of TrailBoss

I compared Titegroup ($20/lb) vs TrailBoss ($18/9oz -> $32/lb)

Primers $33 for 1000 = .033ea

CastBullet $60 for 1000 = .06ea (158gr 38spl) Ga Arms, L38A

Cost Per Bullet: Titegroup is 10.36¢ each and TrailBoss is 11.07¢ each

I also calculated cost manually and came to same conclusion...

Been shootin TrailBoss since I started in CAS back in 2010, never tried anything else.... but I stick with it due to safety factor...with progressive loader I have gotten distracted with brass or cast bullet and accidentally double loaded - what a mess with powder overflow....but that stopped me cold, cleaned up, and restarted with more focus....

This has occurred several times in 6 years / 8000 rounds of loading....TrailBoss keeps me safe....

I'll pay the extra penny per round...