SASS Wire Forum

1911 Revisited

DANCING RABBIT KID

Reconsidered my original post for using 1911 in regular SASS match. Been shooting SASS for 22 years. What attracted me was the old west concept. Like most of us who grew up in 50s we were raised on Cowboy movies and cowboy TV. I will redouble my efforts as Scout to find new members. Probably start setting up table at local gun shows to show off our guns and video of matches. I also shoot 3 to 4 pistol and 3 gun matches per month at local gun club. I had Parson and couple others put on SASS exhibition at steel match couple months back. These matches average 40 to 60 shooters every weekend. Only had one couple come to our match. We let them shoot our guns but they also shooting 3 to 4 matches a month at local club. Got another one coming next week. He just bought a new Ruger Blackhawk in 38 and 9mm. Lowering our standards is not a good idea. I shoot 1860 Army, hammer coach shotgun, and 66 Winchester. All black. I would have never approved smokeless powder in cowboy match. I was lucky to meet Roy and Dale as a kid. Dale, Francis Smith, was my grandfathers 1st cousin. Her dad was was from Centerville, MS. He lived with my grandparents during depression.

All questions are valid if we are trying to keep our game alive and growing.

Local matches are where we get new shooters. Local matches need to meet our potential new shooters with information, kind guidance and even an occasionally loaned gun.