SASS Wire Forum

Uberti1873 Competition Rifle............HELP

Rootin Tootin

Their add talks about a short stroke and action job with a big front site. Any idea who's short stroke they use and what gen?

How are they out of the box? Advertised as match ready??

Any experience appreciated.........Thanks RT

Edited by Rootin Tootin

Most out-of-the box completion guns (for any venue) get you about 75% there IMO. They beat stock guns hands down and if you aren't super competitive might serve you well. But if you get the fever you'll STILL have to tweak them.

Edited by Cowboy Junky
  • Like 1

As to the short stroke they install - they don't "kit" it - they designed their own action parts so they can provide parts "forever." Would not be wise for them to select a kit and try to "boogie on down the road" for the next 50 years when the vendor has been retired or out of business for the last 40 years.....

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

How does their SS compare to the ones from PGW or C&I on super short stroke? All my past rifles have been reworked by PGW or C&I for SS and I have added the other stuff myself......

Yeah, although the discussion points are close to the same, I assumed the OP was talking revolvers.....

:lol:

• 1 year later...

I don’t know what others are referring to but I would like to hear from anyone who has used the Uberti 1873 competition rifle. I am starting to assemble my gear for CAS and need to get a rifle next. My Rugers are 357 so I would stay with that for a rifle. I don’t see myself going to any top levels but I want to buy something that would work anywhere. I see this as compromise to an action job by say Cody or others. any feedback?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'work anywhere' Spitflier.  I have an Uberti 1873 with a 5th gen C&I kit built by Marshall Harlan Wolff.  It's been rock solid since I got it.  Now would it work with hard primers, I don't know.  Does it work 100% with Federals, yes.  The only reliability issue I've heard of tends to be light hits on primers in really slick guns.  Your best bet is to shoot rifles with different type kits and see which one you prefer.  My wife's has a 4th gen C&I, and it's a great gun too.  

My preference would be C&I first, Cody second, and Pioneer never.  YMMV

Edited by Captain Bill Burt

Here is a thread from when they first came out ... I forgot all about the Renegade ... ha .. 

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/217359-uberti-1873-competition-rifle/

edit: "It looks like" ... the stock on the competition model is the same one they use on their 44mag carbine ... (shotgun style / rubber pad). 

Edited by Patagonia Pete

I had one brought into my shop right from the dealer he bought it from...they need work, I think money would be better spent buying a stock gun and having the proper short stroke, springs and additional work done. The thing I did notice was that they have made the bottom tab of the bolt a pinned and replaceable item....wonder where they got that idea;)

Edited by SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER

If you want a race gun I’d buy one new and race ready from a reputable cowboy ‘smith. The factory gun will be a compromise that you will soon outgrow. “How are they out of the box?” Better than bone stock but not as good as race ready. If you’re in the mood to buy a new rifle I’d circumvent the factory gun and get one that’s been massaged by one of our own. You’re going to want one sooner or later.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spitflier said:

I don’t know what others are referring to but I would like to hear from anyone who has used the Uberti 1873 competition rifle. I am starting to assemble my gear for CAS and need to get a rifle next. My Rugers are 357 so I would stay with that for a rifle. I don’t see myself going to any top levels but I want to buy something that would work anywhere. I see this as compromise to an action job by say Cody or others. any feedback?

I bought one last year. It did need work.

I spent about 4 hours on the original parts and it is as slick as any worked gun I have tried.

Only added part was a stainless mag spring because the original springs rust out in no time here in the Southeast. And some leather work on the comb and lever.

As someone said, it's about 70% ready. More like 90% if you have some tools and do some reading on line on tuning springs. I would like to change the lever safety spring from leaf to coil spring. Can't get the leaf spring light enough w/o making it too weak and break.

Our competition rifles are by Palo Verde Gunworks.  When you go to someone like Rich, he is fine tuning that rifle for world class shooters.  He stands by his work and is completing the work himself.  He puts in both 4th and 5th generation actions.  You do need to shoot other rifles and feel the difference.  Often it is the personal touch that makes a difference.  I highly recommend you shoot various rifles before you spend the money.  

• Like 1

I just got a Uberti 73, "Codymatic", 20 inch octagonal barrel, in .44-40. Really like it.  Shot about 90 rounds at the range yesterday. The action was nice and smooth. Will shoot it at my match this Saturday in Charlottesville, VA.

Spitflier - on a side note, I am new to CAS also and after putting over 2,000 rounds threw my new guns, my opinion is that your guns must operate properly for you and your capabilities. You don't need a Corvette to drive to church... Tuning a gun shaves thousands of a second off your time. Missing the target costs you 5 sec. Transition between guns on a stage saves 'seconds' off your time. You must make 1,000 modifications to your guns to save 1 sec off your time. See where I'm going with this?

Concentrate on the important things. Try out as many guns as you can to see what you 'need' to be competitive at your level. I bought SASS Rugers because they come with a hammer that fits me. I changed the springs myself. I bought a CAS 1873 because the stock is already modified. The short stroke will help anyone. With a few adjustments, it was smooth operating for a starting shooter.

I bought a used shotgun that someone had modified and I spent countless hours (lots of Dollars if you can't do your own work, which few of us can do) to make it run right. For me, the shotgun was not so important and I knew what I was getting into; barrel separation, lock timing, double discharge problem, improper stock finish, bent firing pins, etc. SO , consider your purchases carefully. A larger investment up front may provide a smoother ride.

There is nothing worse than going to the line with a gun your not sure about...

New vs. Used: if you find a good deal on used, buy the time you need to really go fast you will be ready for a high end gun (if the used one lasts). Then you'll have a 'backup' when things go South with your main guns and have to take a trip to the Smith.

5 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

I just got a Uberti 73, "Codymatic", 20 inch octagonal barrel, in .44-40. Really like it.  Shot about 90 rounds at the range yesterday. The action was nice and smooth. Will shoot it at my match this Saturday in Charlottesville, VA.

Make it 357 and thats my gun.  Very satisfied with my "Codymatic".

While it’s true you don’t need a Corvette to drive to church if you already own that Corvette you might just take it out after church and give it a work out. Then again you might not, but sometimes it’s fun knowing you could if you wanted to. And one day, when you decide you are ready, you’ve got the hardware for it. 

Edited by Lead Friend, SASS #53635
Clarity