SASS Wire Forum

WTB 1873 for buckaroo shooter. Smaller, round barrel, 357, maybe less expensive? does it exist?

Home Range

I see you are looking for a 73 .

But a 92 in 357 would go a long way with all them kids .

And at 1/2 the cost .

I have two 92s that I would never part with .

Love them .

And done right , They can be very slick and run pretty damnd fast .

Just saying .

Father Frost gave one of these to my wife for New Years. I think it instantly became her main match rifle. We bought it from the Cowboy Shop.

I gotta weigh in in favor of the Rossi 92 as well, tis what I would get if I had a pack of young'uns comming up. You can buy two or three of them for the price of a 73 and the will run darn near as fast. The 16" version will fit 10 38's and with a cut down stock (save the cut off piece to screw back on as they grow) they make a pretty nice kids gun. If you go the Rossi route look up Steve's Guns

https://store.stevesgunz.com/

For a very good video on DIY slick up, very informative as well. Steve is a great guy to work with and sure knows his Ross's!

Good luck with yer home growed posse!

JMHO, YMMV

Cry once and get a 73

Uberti makes a 73 Ladies and youth carbine. They also make a 19" round barrel 73 carbine, and a 18" half round barrel rifle very light and easy swing.

Edited by John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

There's a lot to be said about a Uberti 92. They run well and are easily slicked up if need be. You can buy about 3 of them for the price of a 73, and they will do those young'uns just as well as the more expensive guns.

RBK

Your kids will be out running a 92 in one season. Get the 73 and you will keep them interested, and competitive.

When did Uberti start making a 92?

If he was looking for a 92 he would have asked about them.

Edited by John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

I gotta weigh in in favor of the Rossi 92 as well, tis what I would get if I had a pack of young'uns comming up. You can buy two or three of them for the price of a 73 and the will run darn near as fast. The 16" version will fit 10 38's and with a cut down stock (save the cut off piece to screw back on as they grow) they make a pretty nice kids gun. If you go the Rossi route look up Steve's Guns

https://store.stevesgunz.com/

For a very good video on DIY slick up, very informative as well. Steve is a great guy to work with and sure knows his Ross's!

Good luck with yer home growed posse!

JMHO, YMMV

Very few 16 in 92s will feed ammo that is short enough in OAL to fit 10 rounds and not to cause feeding problems.

You need at least an 18 in barrel but IIRC the next size up in a Rossi is a 20 in barrel.

The 92 is the least expensive way to go. I have both a Blued and Stainless with round barrels. When holding one in each hand the stainless is lighter than the blued one.

I have 4 92s and all of them run as flawlessly as any 73. I did the action jobs on all 4 using NKJ's video. When I can outrun the action I may get a 73 but until then I'll keep shooting my 92s.

There is a man in West Virginia who loves SASS kids and has a big reputation for doing everything from giving kids rifles (all 1873s) to fixing them free, even if he did not work on it before. The kids he has set up with rifles are a lot bigger now and he may know of a deal.

Call:

Don Jones

aka

Cody Conagher

For all he has done for SASS, he should be in the Hall of Fame.

http://codyscowboyshop.com/

By the way, he and Lone Dude invented the short stroke. Hell, I was there. :D

That is close to what I was hoping to spend. I will keep watching gunbroker too.

Also watch for local estate sales. That's where I found my Uberti 1873 carbine for $700. It was a safe queen, looked liked it had never been shot.

That has changed.

Edited by Lost Trail