SASS Wire Forum

if only my children had more patience.

Trigger Mike

took my 7 year old hunting late yesterday but he grew tired after 20 minutes. i think he really just wanted to go shooting. took my 11 year old this afternoon. it is colder and going to be really cold tonight and rained hard last night and this morning so i figure they will be moving . after 30 minutes he grew tired. kept telling him as it gets close to sundown they come from straight in front of you and off to my left. he did not believe me, said he wanted to go home, they were not coming. so i took him home. went to the cabin to make sure it was ready for a real cold night and walked past the power line and saw 3 does. if only he had stayed out there.

i told him i was trying to make men out of him and his brother but not getting cooperation. seems they don't like the cold. i love hunting when it is cold. i prefer it. no bugs etc.

I would take a camera or cell phone with a camera and snap a couple photos and then show them to the kids. Maybe that will peak their interest in hanging out just a little longer. :)

Hunting isn't for everyone. It may be that your boys will never have a passion for hunting. That doesn't mean they won't become men. And if I'm cold, I'd be whining also. I hunt to enjoy it, not endure it.

Don't take this the wrong way but you need to have more patience with them.

With Patience they may take it up with the same enthusiasm you have for it or they may never take to the outdoors. You have to find a way to make it fun and interesting for them.

As already pointed out they may never take to hunting and pushing it on them will make them resent it and you.

If they don't take up hunting then just spend as much quality time with them as you can doing things that are fun for them.

Keep at it. You don't want'em to grow up to be Pajama Boy, do ya'!!?

:-)

;-!

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

Put some bird feed in your feeder with the corn. Buy a good set of 8x32 binoculars that they can use on the stand. Then they can watch birds,squirrels, and other critters....hopefully learn to identify them. Talk about the trees and shrubs...encourage them to learn about their natural surroundings. Build a little "celebration" fire whether you kill anything or not. Hunting with your kids/grandkids is so much more than hunting!

Edited by Yellowhouse Sam # 25171

Put some bird feed in your feeder with the corn. Buy a good set of 8x32 binoculars that they can use on the stand. Then they can watch birds,squirrels, and other critters....hopefully learn to identify them. Talk about the trees and shrubs...encourage them to learn about their natural surroundings. Build a little "celebration" fire whether you kill anything or not. Hunting with your kids/grandkids is so much more than hunting!

Now, those are fine words of wisdom from someone with obvious experience and compassion.

Especially like the specific words of advice.

One can picture the joy of sitting around the fire after a day shared with the kiddos.

Thanks for the word pictures.

The bird seed is a winner. I put it right on the blind. That is how I got my wife to sit with us. It doesn't take long for the hawk to take notice and give you a startle. The birds will join you right in the blind then! I enjoy watching the birds too.

I think you are expecting a little much at their age. Give them a game unit or smart phone to keep them busy and quiet. Tell them to look up once in a while though. When they actually see a deer and a kill, you will know in a hurry if they will hunt or not.

Out of four of us kids, I'm the only one that hunted with my Dad. The others don't care for it. Not everyone can sit there like that.

The bird seed is a winner. I put it right on the blind. That is how I got my wife to sit with us. It doesn't take long for the hawk to take notice and give you a startle. The birds will join you right in the blind then! I enjoy watching the birds too.

I think you are expecting a little much at their age. Give them a game unit or smart phone to keep them busy and quiet. Tell them to look up once in a while though. When they actually see a deer and a kill, you will know in a hurry if they will hunt or not.

Out of four of us kids, I'm the only one that hunted with my Dad. The others don't care for it. Not everyone can sit there like that.

Yep, the seed attracts birds, squirrels, mice, and maybe a rabbit or two. In turn, here come the predators. All in all it often makes for an interesting outing.

i like the bird feed idea. the 11 year old is the one who loves to hunt and fish, just loves fishing more. he just is discouraged this year because i got one early and last year he got one early. he still complains he wanted to get the one i got. since he did not get one right off like he wanted he lacks patience. part of the problem is this winter has been more like fall with 70-80 degrees in november and december. the last two days of the season we finally have weather cold enough to get the deer moving to get warm.

I've been hunting my whole life. When I was a kid, I found it quite boring just sitting around waiting or in a tree stand. Didn't really enjoy it at all. My father could tell so he tried a different approach. He took up tracking, calling, stalking and anything else he could do to make the hunt more exciting for me. We may see less tracking than at a tree stand, but in the end we became better hunters. Since then I've taken over a hundred deer with just a stick and string. Maybe you should expand your knowledge and skill set if you want your boys to expand theirs.

I've been hunting my whole life. When I was a kid, I found it quite boring just sitting around waiting or in a tree stand. Didn't really enjoy it at all. My father could tell so he tried a different approach. He took up tracking, calling, stalking and anything else he could do to make the hunt more exciting for me. We may see less tracking than at a tree stand, but in the end we became better hunters. Since then I've taken over a hundred deer with just a stick and string. Maybe you should expand your knowledge and skill set if you want your boys to expand theirs.

Yep, get down and still hunt/stalk for a while. Learn to read the woods.

i do sometimes actually hunt but my son usually tires of the walking. since then i figured out their pattern and even if we miss one, i know where they are going and often get there before them and try again. every morning a few does cross the power line at the bottom end of my property into the woods. about that same time a few others come down parallel to the power line in the woods and cross an open field where my stand is and a feeder is nearby ( i put the feeder near their trail) . they cross paths with the first few deers came earlier or near anyways. they all then go through a neighbors woods. in the evening they come back plus doe that were at another neighbors come toward my stand . I sat near their path once and popped a buck from 150 yards with a russian Mosin Nagant sniper rifle heading to where i since placed my feeder. sometimes i see a few does taking the same path the buck did, all head toward the stand i put up then turn into the woods to head south for the night. a few bed down near a garden spot i use on the north end. there are some bigger bucks that we need to work on near a creek on the northwest end that we have left alone for the most part but we plan on expanding next year. i want to put cameras up to figure out their path and times. we were just going to easier hunts to lee them interested,

i told my son about adding bird feed to the corn and he loved the idea and right away realized it would draw in predators. we saw coyote poop near the deer feeder a week ago.

i know that phrase sounds harsh but he claims he wants to be a sniper and professional fisherman so I'm trying to show him an office job is better. being an infantryman myself i try to show him what those lifestyles really mean and how tough you have to be. my dad did me the same way and by the time i got to basic it was a cakewalk.

A LETTER FROM A FARMER, NOW AT CAMP PENDLETON

Dear Ma and Pa;

Am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for the old man by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before maybe all of the places are filled. I was restless at first because you got to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m., but am getting so I like to sleep late.

Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Practically nothing. Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there is warm water.

Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc..., but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit between boys that live on coffee. Their food plus yours holds you till noon, when you get fed again. It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much.

Marches, which the Platoon Sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it is not my place to tell him different. It is about as far as to our mailbox at home. Then the city guys gets sore feet and we all ride back in trucks. The country is nice but awful flat. The Sergeant is like a schoolteacher. He nags some.

The Capt. is like the school board. Majors and Colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk and don't move. And it ain't shooting at you, like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter, Gail

i like that one. my dad always treated me like a new recruit since he was a drill sergeant before going to vietnam. he said in his day he would kick recruits for falling behind. he taught me manual of arms, he would inspect my room ad pull down everything in my closet if one pair of pants was hung wrong. sometimes he would bounce a quarter off my bed then have me remake it for failing. he had me scared of basic by the time i got there yet i never got kicked, never failed an inspection for my bunk or locker, it was better than home.