SASS Wire Forum

Hatfields and McCoys

I just watched part 1 for the 1st and last time. Kevin Costner is a past master at dragging out a story. So many scenes that are not essential to the overall story. The audio clarity was good for most of the main actors but, the lesser actors spoke their lines without moving their mouths, I had no idea what they were saying. It seemed that it was filmed with a filter on the camera, there wasn't the bright colors. I bought it in Walmart for $5. My wife said that I can watch part 2 without her. I won't watch part 2 either, this DVD will be given away.

Costner has to learn to cut to the chase in his movies. I realize that this film was a mini series but, still..

It really is an intense production. I think that without the depth in the story, it would be just another shoot 'em up. The stories give the battles and killings context that seems to even intensify the mayhem.

You can always gift it to someone!!

As a comical aside, my gunsmith's alias is Willy McCoy and my son's is Hatfield.

• Like 1

I like Costner in his movies, but I agree.

Costner doesn't carry a 'character' like Duvall does. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I liked that mini series but it did drag on somewhat.

Besides, my boss (before I retired), is a Hatfield. She married into that same 'Hatfield' blood line. It made watching the mini series a little more interesting.

..........Widder

I thought it was good .

Watched it 4 or 5 time now.

Stars out a little slow .

But a good show over all.

IMHO :-)

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

What Rooster said.

Compared to some of what qualifies as westerns over the last year-and-a-half I'm surprised anyone takes any issue at all with Hatfields and McCoys.

:) :) :)

I liked it so much I bought the dvd. Great show!!

Wikipedia says it was filmed in ROMANIA!!!!!!! Yikes!!!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

Filmed Elsewhere is becoming pretty normal. Lower production costs, I guess.

Hell on Wheels and Open Range were both shot in Canada.

Edited by Dantankerous

I just watched part 1 for the 1st and last time. Kevin Costner is a past master at dragging out a story. So many scenes that are not essential to the overall story. The audio clarity was good for most of the main actors but, the lesser actors spoke their lines without moving their mouths, I had no idea what they were saying. It seemed that it was filmed with a filter on the camera, there wasn't the bright colors. I bought it in Walmart for $5. My wife said that I can watch part 2 without her. I won't watch part 2 either, this DVD will be given away.

Costner has to learn to cut to the chase in his movies. I realize that this film was a mini series but, still..

You won't be teaching that turkey much! I don't bother watching most of his films.

If Yhall did not like Hatfield and McCoys .

You really wont like Texas Rising .

I thought that was pretty decent too :-)

But hay thats me. lol

I liked the film also. I have it on DVD and have watched it at least 3 times.

My wife didn't much care for it. She said, "All those people are just mean. There's not a likable one in the whole bunch."

I grew up in what one would call Hillbilly country for good part of my childhood. Pennsylvania, down in the southwestern corner right next to West Virginia.

I steer clear of movies about that area or anywhere in Appalachia. I don't care who's in 'em or who made 'em.

My family had their own feud: Taylor-Sutton upscuttle down Texas way. Had a cousin named John Wesley Hardin who got involved.

I suspected there was criminal insanity in your family! ;):P:lol:

Family feuding is the reason I stay out of Massachusetts......Bunker Hill was my uncle.....

:lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

I'm with Rooster on this one. I own the DVDs and have watched it several times.

My own family is part of a famous feud. If you go to certain parts of the southern highlands of Scotland some folks will say, "Feuding like the [my name] and Colquhouns." We feuded for 400 years and killed a lot more of each other than did the Hatfields and McCoys! The king even had to step in between us several times.

Edited by Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I watched it again last night .

Just to see if I missed the really bad parts and did not relies it .

NOPE !

Still a Good Movie IMHO !

I'm with Rooster on this one. I own the DVDs and have watched it several times.

My own family is part of a famous feud. If you go to certain parts of the southern highlands of Scotland some folks will say, "Feuding like the [my name] and Colquhouns." We feuded for 400 years and killed a lot more of each other than did the Hatfields and McCoys! The king even had to step in between us several times.

Was your feud over something worthwhile like a pig?

..........Widder

Was your feud over something worthwhile like a pig?

..........Widder

Cattle thievery. It was a profession in the medieval Scottish highlands, and my clan was particularly adept at it. Anything they stole from us, we probably stole from them to begin with. In fact, a full moon is still referred to as "[my name]'s lantern," because it was known they'd be out reeving cattle because they could see by the light of the moon.