SASS Wire Forum

anybody tried a 1858 carbine in frontiersman catagory ?

southparkslim

Thinking of trying this using a spare cylnder loaded on the line from a cylinder pouch located on the belt. . Checked with club and they are fine with letting me try it....................any thoughts?

Back to safety , about having a caped cylinder not in the carbine.It is unsafe.

Changing the cylinder on the clock is do-able, keeping the barrel downrange... but you'd have to cap the cylinder on the clock. If you don't care about time and just want to do it for fun. Cool. Watch where your front hand goes when firing, keep it back to your shooting hand. The blast from the cylinder gap will sear your arm... plus if you do happen to have a chain fire... well, that could leave a mark.

There are a number of reasons that revolving carbines are not allowed...see post #3.

Carrying a charged & CAPPED percussion cylinder for a reload is also an illegal practice.

What do the other Frontiersman shooters at the club (if any) think about allowing this?

I would not have a problem allowing someone to shoot Frontiersman with the 58 carbine. It would not take that long to exchange and cap the new cylinder in the carbine. I have shot with one pard who shot a percussion shotgun with preloaded paper shot shells and that was a lot of fun to watch. I agree that the cylinder should be capped on the line as well. I shoot with South Park Slim and he is a safe shooter so could handle the transition well. Looking forward to seeing him at a shoot with his carbine.

The 1858 carbine is not a frontiersman (or any other category) legal rifle.

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899, incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.

It says, "must" and "lever or slide action"; not "may", "kinda like", or "anything you can think up." But... if your local club sez ok, go for it; but I remind you to keep that supporting hand behind the cylinder gap! As if you didn't think the Maynard was slow enough! :lol::lol:

Thinking of trying this using a spare cylnder loaded on the line from a cylinder pouch located on the belt. . Checked with club and they are fine with letting me try it....................any thoughts?

I'd say stage the add'l cylinder with the rifle.

I do not encourage the use of non-SASS legal guns or equipment. It can lead to problems for shooters when they travel to a big match. Was at a Regional match once, lady shooter had a '93-'07 shotgun. Posse marshal told her she could not use that shotgun. She got upset, saying "I use it at home all the time, for three years now, why not here"? We showed here the rules, and she calmed down when I gave her my backup '97 to use.

In my opinion we do a severe disservice to shooters when we let hem get by with something that is not allowed at the State or above level matches.

I do not encourage the use of non-SASS legal guns or equipment. It can lead to problems for shooters when they travel to a big match. Was at a Regional match once, lady shooter had a '93-'07 shotgun. Posse marshal told her she could not use that shotgun. She got upset, saying "I use it at home all the time, for three years now, why not here"? We showed here the rules, and she calmed down when I gave her my backup '97 to use.

In my opinion we do a severe disservice to shooters when we let hem get by with something that is not allowed at the State or above level matches.

+100%. I was at a very large match one time where they let a shooter use a muzzle loading rifle. Ten shots on the clock took a while. That shooter may have been having "fun" but for the other 289 people backed up in hour+ long delays on the other stages they were NOT having fun.

• Like 1

Yep, he can shoot that at his practice range.

Too many safety issues in my opinion.

Not the least of which is, during the heat of the action, forgetting not to put his hand in front of the cylinder.

And time issues, making everyone else wait, as Larsen stated

Like shooting a ML rifle or shotgun, I think these do not belong at a match.

However, if someone were to set up a ML side match.......I might be tempted to bring my Remington carbine, a ML rifle & shotgun or two

--Dawg

+100%. I was at a very large match one time where they let a shooter use a muzzle loading rifle. Ten shots on the clock took a while. That shooter may have been having "fun" but for the other 289 people backed up in hour+ long delays on the other stages they were NOT having fun.

I did that very thing at my first EOT back in the mid-'80s... weren't near that many folks like up for the long range side match... But I used unpatched round balls, spit down the muzzle and let fly. Tweren't much(?) longer than twice as long as loading a single shot...

eot87.jpg

I believe I hit 7 of the 10...

Silngle shots aren't legal main match rifles either. Are you talking about a side match? Four guys standing in line for a side match ailn't the same as 400 guys waiting behind some one in the main match. In any event the 80's are long gone.

• Like 1

I think if local clubs are going to allow the use of non sanctioned guns and equipment, which I am all for by the way, they need to stress to the person that they are allowing it there only and that other clubs won't and certainly big matches won't. What I don't want to see is that the clubs take a hard line stance at local matches based on what is allowed at the big matches, especially since a mere fraction of those at the club will ever go to a big match. We always say that we are in the entertainment business right? It's all about knowing your audience.

Well over half of my local club members travel to major out of Province ( think State ) Matches and over 20% have

shot WR ....

So clubs are not all the same and Neither are their Members , the member in Question seem like an experienced

shooter so I say let him have some fun ...

I admit I have though of trying the same thing ...

Jabez Cowboy

Years ago, I used my Uberti '58 carbine with Kirst Konvertors and used a second cylinder for reload. At least 2 rules violations. Second cylinder was fully load in a belt pouch. Very accurate with full house Holy Black loads and 200 grain bullets.