SASS Wire Forum

Advise on a 97

Okiepan

I have a 97 Winny takedown model , it seems that when I pull the foreend back to chamber and when I go forward it comes out of the frame , then I have to but the rails back in the receiver, any words of wisdom ?

There is a ring soldered to the mag tube that the action slide spring rests against, check and make sure that it is in the correct location. I have seen the solder come loose on them and they end up moving forward allowing the action slide to move to far forward.

There is a ring soldered to the mag tube that the action slide spring rests against, check and make sure that it is in the correct location. I have seen the solder come loose on them and they end up moving forward allowing the action slide to move to far forward.

Yep, need to break out the torch.

Perhaps the big, square, buttress "half threads" that hold the magazine into the receiver are rounded off (worn out). Take photos of those threads on the mag tube and inside the receiver and post them here. There's ways to "fix" this, but I don't know if I would.

Maybe your problem is something else, I'd have to see your shotgun to know.

If both are pulling out then the problem must be with the interrupted threads on the magazine tube. A new magazine tube should fix it. I have known of some using epoxie to "lock" the magazine tube into the receiver but that can cause a problem if it needs to be removed. If someone knows for a fix to make the threads hold they will probably present it. I would like to hear of a fix.

Blackfoot

Edited by BLACKFOOT SASS #11947

If you have to purchase a new magazine tube, be aware that some of them need a little gunsmithing to make them work.

I recently replaced the tube on Schoolmarm's 1906 takedown '97. The interrupted threads are sweated into the tube, and in my case, they were installed a little too deeply. The barrel section would not lock in correctly until the tube was carefully trimmed back where the thread portion was attached. The threads on the tube align the entire action and if not spaced properly, will prevent the shell follower from reaching full depth. This will cause a feed problem with the last shell in the tube!!

Thanks to Willy McCoy, Schoolmarm's favorite gun is now back in service!!

The only fix I know to "fix" the worn out threads is to solder the shotgun together at the threads. It's a tricky job. Duct tape ;-) prolly ain't gonna work. I believe that epoxy will eventually fail, if it works at all.

I would keep the shotgun for parts and get a "new" one that you have checked out thoroughly.

Let's see those pictures, to be sure.

Edit

If the threads in the receiver are also worn out (very likely), then you're equally screwed, and a new mag tube will only delay the inevitable and the failure will reoccur when the receiver threads go. Also, the same half threads in the barrel/receiver component are likely failing as well.

Photos will help us confirm the above theories.

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

The threads in the receiver are solid steel while the threads on the tube are stamped steel. It is not that the threads wear in the classic fashion. What happens is the threads on the tube are slowly shrunk from the repeated closing of the action which in effect, hammers the stamped sheet metal threads on the tube down.

When we fitted the new tube in Schoolmarm's shotgun, there was no evidence of wear in the threads in the receiver.

On some of my old solid frame '97s, the threads on the tube wore to the point that the tube would pull out. The tube on a solid frame model is ACTUALLY threaded. One of them was repairable with the replacement of the tube. The other one had damaged the threads in the receiver. Even a new tube wouldn't solve the problem on this gun. We finally decided that since my son, Hatfield, never loaded one in the tube, we could simply drill through the tube, follower, and the opposite side of the receiver and install a spiroll pin all of the way through the tube and receiver. The gun has performed flawlessly since doing this.

I won't say that this is the perfect solution, but it beats the crap out of discarding an otherwise perfectly working gun that has several dollars worth of work and time already invested in it!!

With due respect to all, why not call a expert on it if its a original. I have 2 97's almost new when I got them in the early 90's, a take down and a 20" solid, have no thread wear.

Too many out there take them apart and miss and force the last thread, no reason. Lee

Well I will try all the advise I was about to use the bailing wire and duct tape.

The threads actually round over and then wear down, both in the receiver and the components. Repeatedly removing and reinstalling the barrel/magazine group from the receiver unnecessarily accelerates the wear.

One other thing you may have the tube 180 degrees out it installs correctly in only one position or it comes out when worked.

Get this one from Numrich Gun Parts. It is a Chinese reproduction but it works perfectly and is well made. I installed two already on separate 97s because the threads on the tubes were worn and rolled over. The only fitting it will need is to slightly drill the hole for push lock pin to 1/4 inch. That's it! P.S they come blued.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/251770.htm

Get this one from Numrich Gun Parts. It is a Chinese reproduction but it works perfectly and is well made. I installed two already on separate 97s because the threads on the tubes were worn and rolled over. The only fitting it will need is to slightly drill the hole for push lock pin to 1/4 inch. That's it! P.S they come blued.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/251770.htm

That's the one I bought. Make sure to check the fit in the receiver for proper depth before trying to assemble it onto the barrel extension. Mine had to be turned in a lathe 3/32" to fit the receiver properly. If it won't thread in properly the mag tube is one thread too shallow and the shell follower won't reach proper depth causing the last round to hang up on the mag tube opening. And that's if you can get the front half to mount up at all.

It has to do with stacking tolerances. Only happens in one in a thousand or so. If I had done this first, it would have saved me two hours of fiddling with the new tube! With the number of '97s I've acquired now, it's knowledge I'll not forget.

Edited by Blackwater 53393

That's the one I bought. Make sure to check the fit in the receiver for proper depth before trying to assemble it onto the barrel extension. Mine had to be turned in a lathe 3/32" to fit the receiver properly. If it won't thread in properly the mag tube is one thread too shallow and the shell follower won't reach proper depth causing the last round to hang up on the mag tube opening. And that's if you can get the front half to mount up at all.

It has to do with stacking tolerances. Only happens in one in a thousand or so. If I had done this first, it would have saved me two hours of fiddling with the new tube! With the number of '97s I've acquired now, it's knowledge I'll not forget.

Absolutely, if it is correct it will only take a minute of time well spent!

Blackfoot

I guess I lucked out on the two I bought. Haven't experienced any problems that you describe. I just double checked them again and all looks good. Thanks for that tip..

I guess I lucked out on the two I bought. Haven't experienced any problems that you describe. I just double checked them again and all looks good. Thanks for that tip..

NAH!! It was my bad luck and lack of experience!! Experience is what you get when you do something umpteen times and then the next time you do it, it doesn't work!! :o:wacko::lol::lol::lol: