SASS Wire Forum

Flying to shoots with firearms

I quit flying about 5 years ago because its too darn annoying going through the TSA crap. Not that we don't need security but someone ought to send the TSA agents to a manners class. Ive been a LEO for 30 years and never talked to anyone the way the TSA jerks talked to people.

I quit flying about 5 years ago because its too darn annoying going through the TSA crap. Not that we don't need security but someone ought to send the TSA agents to a manners class. Ive been a LEO for 30 years and never talked to anyone the way the TSA jerks talked to people.

Try flying through the Portland, Oregon airport sometime. The TSA personnel there have the best manners I've encountered. When you interact with them you never get the feeling you are being processed into a Federal Pen.

I've never had an issue flying,,, it's actually easier now than it was a few years or so ago,,,,

I don't see anything changing,,,,

I've never had an issue flying,,, it's actually easier now than it was a few years or so ago,,,,

I don't see anything changing,,,,

Never had a problem either.

I sure hope you are correct. I hate knee jerk, reactionary rules caving to the cries that "We have to do something!"

Never had a problem either.

I sure hope you are correct. I hate knee jerk, reactionary rules caving to the cries that "We have to do something!"

I'm with you there ,JB. They leave of the last of the reality of their cry though. Generally comes out "We have to do something , even if it is STUPID."

Rex :angry:

They won't let you carry enough ammo to shoot a match, as I recall the limit on ammo is 12 pounds.

Blackfoot

I checked the Southwest website. That airline only allows 11 lbs of ammo. That's why many shooters buy their shotgun shells when they arrive at a match. See https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_10

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971

There will be a Big push to ban firearms in checked baggage. Even though you can still enter an airport through the main ticket area or baggage claim without going through any security. And that has happened already at LAX last year when a TSA officer was shot.

But nevertheless, the gun haters will push for "common sense" legislation to prevent a recurrence. Make sure you keep informed and in contact with your legislators.

I have flown a number of times w/ firearms, I usually ship the rifle & pistol ammo to someone shooting the match, buy shotgun ammo at the location.

TB

I don't think they will ban flying with checked firearms but I would bet that they either ban ammo in checked baggage or there will be new processes on how you get your firearm and ammo from baggage claim when you land.

Whatever happens you can count on more bureaucracy and silliness all because of one moron.

Flown with firearms & ammunition to: Interstate US - Canada & Great Britain ... zero issues

Here's an example of the gun checkers at Manchester Airport in England - they had me out armed, just in case :D

HeavyDutyGunCheckers.jpg

The likelihood of a change with Trump and a Republican Congress is small. Some states want to allow CCW

in the non TSA portions of airports.

As a Grand Patron, I experienced a better day. We always took our guns with us aboard planes to and from

our family ranch.

My mother gave me a five screw S&W .44 Rem Mag revolver for my birthday when they first came out.

(Pre Model 29) On the way, the pilot left the cockpit and asked to see it. It was in the overhead bin with

our rifles, shotguns and other pistols. He was fascinated and looked it over in the aisle. The co-pilot and

flight engineer came out next and were followed by the Stewardesses. Not one passenger evidenced any care

whatsoever.

Life was a lot better before the liberal paranoia!!!

• Like 1

One report was that the perp had been acting up and had altercations with both other passengers and members of the crew. If this is the case, he should have never been in the baggage claim area. He should have been taken off of the plane in chains by security.

Blackfoot

Can someone please explain to me how he got his gun out of a checked bag??? That's what all the news reports are saying. I have never flown with guns so I'm confused. If it was a"checked bag" shouldn't it have been out of his reach if they knew there was a firearm in it??? Also aren't firearms required to be in a hard shelled case that's locked??

I'm confused! :wacko:

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

He got the bag off of the carousel, went into the restroom, loaded it and came back out and started shooting, or so they say. The flight was over and he was in the baggage pickup area.

He got the bag off of the carousel, went into the restroom, loaded it and came back out and started shooting, or so they say. The flight was over and he was in the baggage pickup area.

Oh I see.....Thanks, I'm easily confused because I never fly. Last time I was on a plane was in 1997!!!! :)

I too am curious!! A reporter, (Hannity) said that hundreds of rounds were fired. I tuned in late and assumed the perp had a rifle!! When I learned that the shooter was armed with a pistol, I wondered if the "three magazines" were large or extended magazines. I have heard nothing that clears this up.

I refuse to fly anymore because I'm not allowed to protect myself, a responsibility I feel is mine alone!! It has been five years since I was on a plane and after that flight home, I made the decision to travel by other means from then on.

The current discussion on the media is that the airlines can impose a rule that would not allow ammo on the aircraft. It is the fastest and easy way to regulate without a law passage and difficult to fight. Hope not as I plan to fly to Winter Range this year! Could cause issues for th honest people.

The current discussion on the media is that the airlines can impose a rule that would not allow ammo on the aircraft. It is the fastest and easy way to regulate without a law passage and difficult to fight. Hope not as I plan to fly to Winter Range this year! Could cause issues for th honest people.

Could you ship your ammo to the Ben Avery range? I seem to have heard somewhere that they'll accept ammo shipments. (????) :unsure:

When was the last time you saw a TSA agent at the "back end" of the trip? In other words, at the baggage claim?

I have never seen them there. In my opinion these brainiacs should have seen this coming and prepared accordingly.

But, knowing media morons and PC politicinas they will blame us gun-toting clingers and push for more restriction and never question the idiots that should have been doing there job in the first place.

Before the TSA I remember flying into different airports and seeing police officers patrolling baggage areas and some actually checked baggage claim tickets. I saw this in Los Angeles, Orange County, CA, Pittsburgh and a couple of other airports but at that time I didn't fly a whole lot. After TSA came on the scene I did fly a lot for work and have never seen them at the baggage claims except for when I flew home from international flights.

I am going to stop now before I get too political.

Here is my opinion of the possible scenarios (no pun intended): (a) The FAA could issue a temporary (or permanent, depending on what the laws allow) ban on all firearms and ammo being checked in baggage...period. This would be the quickest stopgap measure that could be taken. (B) individual airlines could refuse to allow firearms and ammo to be checked. (I think there are one or two majors that won't allow guns in checked baggage.) © An airline could allow the guns, but not the ammo, and could impose horrendous fees for baggage with checked guns, making it prohibitively expensive. (d) Either airlines or the FAA could require declaration of guns to be checked at the time you purchase your tickets, possibly days, weeks or longer in advance, giving them time to run a NICS check...which they probably wouldn't want to do because of the expense and time it would take them to offer such a service. Alternatively, they could turn the checking over to TSA.

I haven't travelled with a gun or ammo in baggage in years, as I don't go to faraway matches that I can't reach by car, but it isn't going to be convenient for those who do. And shipping your guns by "common carrier" is no guarantee that they will arrive without damage or even arrive at all!

What I fail to understand is why the local FBI office that the perp went to with the alleged statements and appearances didn't place him on a "no fly", "no firearms purchases"! I think that outfit needs a thorough housecleaning from the top down. Hopefully, that will occur shortly after January 20th! :angry:

As the late Paul Harvey used to say, "Ain't nothin' gonna turn out okay!" :(:(:(

I fly several times a year and at every airport I fly into and depart from, the baggage claim areas are outside the "secured" areas. Here at Phoenix Sky Harbor ANYONE can walk in off the street directly into the area where the baggage carousels are so there is little to nothing the TSA or local police armed to the teeth totally surrounding the carousels could have done to prevent this character from getting off the airplane, walking down to the baggage claim area, grab is bags and head for the bathroom for a quick pit stop before going outside to catch a ride. But instead of making a pit stop he could have easily opened a bathroom stall, opened a bag, grabbed his pistol and loaded it with the ammo which could have been spread out among all of his checked bags.

Sadly, crazy people will always be one step ahead of bureaucratic law enforcement.

I think the part we're missing here is that anybody can go to the airport, park, stroll into baggage claim and open fire. He didn't have to come on the plane. I've checked guns and ammo many times when I fly. I generally don't bother with the ammo anymore as it's not enough to get through a match and just send it all ground. It can be in a factory box or reloader's box, either is fine as long as it's not over the weight limit. In all the years and times I've flown, I have never been asked for my permit and have only had a couple of nasty people from either the airline or TSA.

Often the gun case just comes down with the rest of the luggage, which I don't like. Some airports are more careful and you have to pick it up at the baggage office by showing the claim check or they call your name on the loudspeaker and ask you to meet the baggage person at a specific location. I like that better.

Even moving security to the entrance to the airport won't help, he did everything per the rules and would have gotten on the plane, gotten off at his destination, gone to baggage claim and we would have the same result.

The issue is how did a mentally unstable person - and a vet to boot - end up not getting the help and attention he needed before he went totally off the deep end and killed a bunch of people?

• Like 1

There is no way to make an airport or other transportation hub totally secure when there are areas open to the general public.. You cannot have metal detectors at all entrances when people are toting their luggage. You cannot search thousands of people. The ISIS killers at the airport in Turkey just strolled in off the street and murdered 36.

It would not surprise me if the airlines try to prohibit firearms in checked baggage now. They will run afoul of USC18 p926A though.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

I too am curious!! A reporter, (Hannity) said that hundreds of rounds were fired. I tuned in late and assumed the perp had a rifle!! When I learned that the shooter was armed with a pistol, I wondered if the "three magazines" were large or extended magazines. I have heard nothing that clears this up.

I refuse to fly anymore because I'm not allowed to protect myself, a responsibility I feel is mine alone!! It has been five years since I was on a plane and after that flight home, I made the decision to travel by other means from then on.

On the NBC news last night, they said he had 2 - 15 round magazines. The details seem to change by the hour.

• Like 1

The last time if flew which was a few years ago the required method of carrying ammo was either in the clips with clips out of the gun or in the original package. Clips and guns had to be in a locked hard side case. Could be in the same case. This was a non CAS gun of course.

Also, the airports did not have a standard way of handling guns. When I was flying my CAS guns around the country, Our airport did not even look at the guns, I opened the case and they laid a form I had signed saying the guns were unloaded and locked the case back up. At the Dallas airport they took the whole case back away from my sight and checked the guns and then sent the key back out to me. Sometimes my guns were on the convayer, sometimes they were behind the counter and one time they wheeled my guns out last and checked my ID before they would release them to me. (I liked that one best)

I no longer fly if I can help it and love to drive now.

On the NBC news last night, they said he had 2 - 15 round magazines. The details seem to change by the hour.

Where was the ammo if he just got off the plane? The news reports are awful!! First we hear 100 rounds now it's 30!!!! :blink:

Where was the ammo if he just got off the plane? The news reports are awful!! First we hear 100 rounds now it's 30!!!! :blink:

It was in his CHECKED baggage along with his gun which he had just retrieved from the baggage carousel.