SASS Wire Forum

Question for you stainless steel revolver shooters re: sights

Pat Riot

That's great. Thank you Pards.

And Garrison Joe, thanks for taking time to fuss with Google photos to send me the link. I know what a pain that can be. I do appreciate it.

Looks like I may just have to hit Brownell's for a checkering file :D Those sights look really sharp Joe and Boggus.

• 2 months later...

Okay...Thought this thread was lost...

I tried painting my front sights with white appliance paint. While it seemed okay and the sights stood out for me at the target range I really didn't care for it when I actually shot a match with my revolvers last weekend. I was going to just leave them silver after dulling them up a bit but I went ahead and painted them. The weird thing was, and perhaps it's just the way my mind works, but when the buzzer sounded and I brought my revolver up to fire it was almost like my mind was saying "Okay this is weird, something's wrong with your sight. Look closer, make sure that is your front sight". It was almost as if my eyes saw the sights but my mind just wouldn't accept that I was looking at the sights. I know it sounds weird but that is how it seemed. On a couple stages I actually took more time to verify that I was actually looking at the sight rather than just aiming and firing. 

I did blacken the rear sight but now I am convinced that I want to take Garrison Joe's advice and serrate the rear of my front sights and leave them silver. No I just have to decide if I am going to buy a checkering file or just take them to my local 'smith. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I considered those brass sight covers for the front sight but I do not like the looks of them. I want to leave the sides of the sight silver.

I'm going to be the contrary voice and suggest you reconsider this.  I've been running Slick's brass sights for a couple of years now and absolutely love them.  They're great in good light and even better in low light conditions. That brass just jumps out at you.  But when all is said and done you've got to like the look so I totally understand if you stick with your current plan.

17 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I'm going to be the contrary voice and suggest you reconsider this.  I've been running Slick's brass sights for a couple of years now and absolutely love them.  They're great in good light and even better in low light conditions. That brass just jumps out at you.  But when all is said and done you've got to like the look so I totally understand if you stick with your current plan.

+1, I started painting my sights gold before switching to Slick's, would be hard to go back to anything else now.

Randy

On 1/8/2017 at 3:17 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Here's what a serrated front sight looks like in particular. :lol:

OK, after learning several thousand things about Google Photos :wacko:, I came up with this link for my serrated stainless Vaquero front sights:

https://goo.gl/photos/KdFJe644PMrqtz4cA

I did that file work in just a few minutes with, I believe, a 40 LPI checkering file from Brownells. About 3 or 4 years ago.

Good luck, GJ

works good dab some paint in serration works great and looks good too

Thanks Pards, but I will stick with the silver. Also, I like the width of the front sights on my Vaqueros. I do not care for a wider front sight.

Aerosol sight black works well for me....spray it on before the match and will often go the entire match...if not....over to the safe area and re-spray. Have also used my carbide sight black lamp (Gunsmoke) with real carbide...left over from my NRA Service rifle days....gets things REALLY black and is non reflective as well....folks DO look at you however!

Bugler

• Like 1

Bugler, I have found that the Birchwood Casey "Super Black" flat black paint pen lasts longer than the Sight Black. Most bigger gun stores seem to carry it. It doesn't rub off like sight black. This is what I used on my rear sights. I did not burnish the stainless sp some of it rubbed off but it's easy to re-touch up.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up...

I removed the paint and I left my front sights silver but I used a fine jewelers file to matte the entire rear of the sight that is visible when looking at the sights as if you are shooting. I had already blacked out the rear sight. I have fired the 2 revolvers at a match - cloudy, rainy day, at an indoor range and outdoors in the sun. I think this will work out best for me.

I did get to look at a Pards sights that were checkered as well as sights that had the round radius filed flat at a 45 degree angle and then blacked out. I think I will stick with what I did for now.

I also checked out a gun with Slick's brass sight covers. I do not care for them but I can see how they could help.

I had some bead blasting done to my guns to "dress" them up a little.  I like the two tone look.  In the process we bead blasted the top of the receiver.  With the dull, bead blasted rear notch the shiny front sight stands out like a diamond in a goat's a....well, you get the picture!  Quickest sight picture I've every seen.

On 1/6/2017 at 10:36 AM, Leadspittinlefty said:

Hey Pat, Gold testors model paint on back side of front sight works ok, but has to be touched up.

LSL

That's what I do.