SASS Wire Forum

Derringer question

Dorado

I'm looking at possibly getting a derringer for side matches and just for fun. I don't know anything about them other than they are small and only good at card table ranges. So I'm looking for suggestions on what to get. I'd like something like a .357/.38 or in .45 as I have reloading dies for those. I currently shoot .38s but I'd have little to no trouble working up a load for a .45. I'd like to stick to one of those calibers instead of a .25 or .32.

What would y'all suggest?

What should I look for?

BOND,BOND!

Dorado,

If you can find someone to let you try it I would shoot one before buying one. I have a Davis derringer in .38 that I bought many years ago for side matches. I actually have never used it in a side match because I never encountered a stage or a side match that required a derringer. But, that being said, a derringer in .38 is one jumpy little gun. The first time I fired mine, with a standard factory loaded LRN cartridge that was within SASS requirements for handguns, I literally had to catch it before it hit the concrete at the range I was at. That little thing jumped right out of my hand. I have shot it since but not because I was in a side match and only because I wanted to make sure it still worked after all these years. Honestly, the only reason I still have it is it would cost me more to transfer it than I feel it's worth.

So, after all that, as to your question, I would go with a .38 special. .45 might just be a little stout.

Bonds are fine pieces, but hardly what I'd call a derringer. They are almost as large as a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP. That said, they are easier to control due to the size and weight. BUT, they are costly for what you will use one for. Sold mine after 4 years of no use.

Al

• Like 1

Take a long hard look at Bond. The best part of that brand is that you can change out the barrels with one shoulder bolt and change the caliber. They have barrels from .22 Rim Fire to .45 Colt/.410 and barrel lengths from 2-1/2" to 4-1/4".

The down side is the trigger. You have to pull it from the very bottom. There are several good smiths that can do a trigger job on them.

The Davis and all other "Period Accurate" derringers are one caliber and one caliber only.

Hope that helps,

Take a long hard look at Bond. The best part of that brand is that you can change out the barrels with one shoulder bolt and change the caliber. They have barrels from .22 Rim Fire to .45 Colt/.410 and barrel lengths from 2-1/2" to 4-1/4".

The down side is the trigger. You have to pull it from the very bottom. There are several good smiths that can do a trigger job on them.

The Davis and all other "Period Accurate" derringers are one caliber and one caliber only.

Hope that helps,

Need to know how to pull the trigger on Bonds for sure. Sort of a pull down motion. I do believe that Bond now makes a lighter replacement spring for their weapons.

If you want to compete you want a Bond. As far as caliber you do NOT want a .45. The object is two quick shots. The winners normally get both shots off in less than a second. No matter how you load a .45 the recoil is not conducive to getting off two QUICK shots.

Everyone will say Bond Bond Bond !

I say they are over Priced and Big as Hell.

You could NEVER carry a Bond in a vest or shirt pocket !

( To Big )

The point of a Derringer.

Is a Small hideaway gun !

I have two Cobra's .

( .32 .38 )

About 1/4 the cost .

About 1/4 the weight .

A Derringer is Not a gun you shoot alot anyways.

So IMHO The Bond is Over Kill .

I had Cobra's for years .

And you are talking about 125.00 150.00 Derringer New !

Just Speaking The Unfiltered Truth :-)

I went with a .38 with mine and am very happy. Saw a few guys shoot on in .45 and that's just too much recoil for me.

I must admit that my .38 derringer loads are the same as the .32 Long ones and of course the lightest bullet you can find--think mine is Lee's 105 gr one.

with it I can hit a paper plate at 20 yards but have to take careful aim

also aiming points are different for each barrel

and yes, I realize they were used at distances that didn't require sights

cr

You want a great side match gun - BOND!

You want a great concealed carry pocket piece? Smith Detective Special. No derringer fits the bill.

Good luck, GJ

You want a great side match gun - BOND!

You want a great concealed carry pocket piece? Smith Detective Special. No derringer fits the bill.

Good luck, GJ

+1. The question was about competition. If you want to compete the Bond is the choice. For self-defense a two shot die cast zamac derringer would not be high on my list.

Hope that helps,

Say what? The Davis/Cobra derringers are available in many calibers not just one.

The Bond has dominated CAS derringer matches for umpteen years now. Before Bond totally took over the American Derringer Corp models held sway. Bond all the way nowadays, I have two of the 45Colt/410 guns and love them.

I would say get a Bond for competition... But they are More expensive..

For concealed carry.. Cobra maybe..

I have 2 Cobra's in 38 special..

For competition.. They won't hold up..

They do have a lifetime guarantee and they will fix them free..

But.. I had to pay postage and FFL fee's..

I still have the Cobras but.. I bought a Bond for competition.. Again 38 special..

Rance ;)

Thinkin by the many times ya pay for postage and inconvenience...

Get a Bond.. :)

If you have decided what caliber your main match pistols will be would make sense to make derringer that caliber also. However, if you want,need, another hide away

pistol to grab and shove in your pocket a derringer is the one. You've heard BOND is the only one, as far as accuracy, the length of the barrel. I speak from experience

of carry gun barrel length, minimum and max length to hit at X feet, BOND AGAIN if you use the right diameter bullet.

When it first came out, I felt it in my chest at the indoor range knew it was a magnum load, didn't see the gun in his hand being a nosy critter I stood and looked, he said come over

look closer, a 38/357 shiny stainless 2 barrels, 3 inch, others I saw so far none shot decent at 20 feet, this was different, he had a box of Federal 357 mag,125 grain @ 1425.

I laughed at him, he brought the target in, keep laughing fool. He emptied, dropped the gun here shut your mouth load fire, sent out target whoo so far almost 15 yds.

Put top flat with tip, hits. Fired, 1425 wow 9 ring next 10 ring. Was sold. Had home carried 357 sp101 3 inch, derringer was 3",shot the same with win 110 mag

made up 50 38 sp cases for cowboy, light loads to go thru paper plates, first CA shoot took it showed it let others I knew shoot it, Meister sent me 10 in .358 was same as

Federal Winny, pointy,lead very shiny,130 grain, looked like Lone Rangers bullets, very accurate, bought 500.

Called Bond for another barrel to match 44 mag, main match gun size, wanted a tight barrel, cost me a bit more. Fired Win STip 175 grain,wow was just as accurate had to hold on tight, Looking down those 2 holes from the front

looking down those 2 big holes are awesome.

Bonds are fine pieces, but hardly what I'd call a derringer. They are almost as large as a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP. That said, they are easier to control due to the size and weight. BUT, they are costly for what you will use one for. Sold mine after 4 years of no use.

Al

+ 100000

Howdy

Sorry, but the Cobra/Davis derringers are junk. I bought a Davis 38 Special derringer a long time ago, before they changed their name to Cobra. In addition to the barrels being steel embedded in a cheap zinc casting, the trigger is TERRIBLE. The angle of the full cock notch and trigger on these is very positive. Which means you are cocking the hammer further when you pull the trigger. To pull the trigger I actually had to pull downward as well as back to overcome the poor cocking notch angle. Most of the time it took pulling the trigger with the index fingers of both hands. I would not buy one again.

• Like 1

For side matches at card table distances I guess they are hard to beat. For anything else they are an expensive boat anchor, horrible trigger pull, ridiculous size for a two shot gun and they are lucky to group both shots in the same county.

Go with a Bond in the caliber you like and reload them. You can reload some pretty soft loads. You ask about accuracy, at Paradise Pass we shoot them at the long range side match. You will be surprised at what you can hit, you won't know if you don't try. It's all about having fun at Cowboys.

We set up a long range pocket pistol and derringer side match at Hell On Wheels. Steel plate is out about 25 yards, it's a hoot.

We also use close range strictly for speed.

I'd go with Bond, they work every time and are consistent. I would not bet my life on a Davis or Cobra, put them in a sock and swing it around, might hurt someone worse than shooting at them.

Howdy

Sorry, but the Cobra/Davis derringers are junk. I bought a Davis 38 Special derringer a long time ago, before they changed their name to Cobra. In addition to the barrels being steel embedded in a cheap zinc casting, the trigger is TERRIBLE. The angle of the full cock notch and trigger on these is very positive. Which means you are cocking the hammer further when you pull the trigger. To pull the trigger I actually had to pull downward as well as back to overcome the poor cocking notch angle. Most of the time it took pulling the trigger with the index fingers of both hands. I would not buy one again.

Oh c'mon now Driftwood. They make a fair to middlin' paperweight. :)

Yeah, but Bonds are Way Cool.

Plus, made in Texas.

And, those big 45/410 barrels sure are fearsome looking.

Plus, if you threw one, they'd make an awful mess of your attacker.

Go, Bond....

Bond. I have.22,38 and .45 Colt barrels. I use the .45 Colt barrels in side matches with my regular

warthog loads of Holy Black. I added Bond's special springs and grips.

It shoots accurately and smoothly. I love the smoke and flames but I think a .38 would be more competitive.

Well, the "ayes" have it for Bond!! Back when I wanted a derringer for side matches, I too loved the Bond when I picked it up, but could not pay the tariff. I did subsequently find a used hardly shot America Derringer Company .38/.357 stainless that did not have barrels full of machining marks, and came in a "calmshell" case . Function is fine, never did devote any practice time to learning the piece , though. Later found a.pre 1968 Uberti copy of the C. Sharps four barreled derringer in .22 short, which is, at least, a bit more interesting, and came in a lined wooden presentation box. Both primarily sit idle. I DID use the .38/,.357 in a side match once, at card table distance.

I've got an American Derringer engraved in 44 mag. It is not a competitive piece but is fun to shoot with 44 Russians. It is a hog with anything else. I've tried 44 mag once, only once. 44 Specials are a handful but the Russians are just plain fun. I had Jim Downing do the nice engraving.

I guess Bond is the way to go. I was hoping there was something out there smaller and more in line with the old Remington double derringers similar to the Cobras but of better quality. So my options are Bond for something safe and reliable. Cobra for cheap, but small. I was thinking of something I could put a watch fob on and drop in my vest pocket. I'll take a look at the Bonds if I can find them. People around here tend to buy only the Craptical guns and so the stores ignore neat ones.

I'm not looking for concealed carry. I have guns for that and there are much better options out there than a two barreled single action inaccurate gun. This is strictly a fun gun.

Need to know how to pull the trigger on Bonds for sure. Sort of a pull down motion. I do believe that Bond now makes a lighter replacement spring for their weapons.

The older Bonds, like mine were definitely that way. The newer ones have a MUCH improved trigger pull on them.

Fer shootin', Bond.

Fer looks, Cobra/Cimarron

I've got a Bond with barrels in .22lr, .38/.357, .44 spl. (spl only, NOT .44 mag), .44-40, .45acp, and .45 Colt (.45 only, NOT .410).