SASS Wire Forum

Advice on Sights for Uberti 1885 Hi-Wall 45-70

Brooklyn Slim

Need help. Looking for Period Corr (OOPS! I mean historically accurate) front and rear sights. Do not intend for serious long range competition, mostly 200 yards or less but don't want to rule out longer distance if opportunity arises. Need something useful and easy to use.

Looking at one of the following.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/goodwin-style-creedmoor-sight-sku100010691-23126-105878.aspx

Don't understand the difference between the Soule and Creedmore sights, and understand these sights must be removed to clean the barrel.

The Goodwin type, according to the reviews, allows clearance to clean the barrel with the sight on the rifle.

When these sights are folded down, is it still possible to use the original sight that came with the gun?

Suggestions for front sight?

Appreciate advice.

B Slim

I am not a BP singleshot rifle expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

If the sight is in the way, I would stick my cleaning rod (without a brush, jag or patch) down the muzzle until it reached the breech, screw on the brush and pull the rod to the muzzle. Repeat as necessary until the bore was clean enough to use a boresnake. I would not remove a sight that was sighted in.

Others (meaning those with experience) will likely offer better info.

I would look at a Montana Vintage Arms Soule . I think the customer service is much better. I have some of each. Don't go to the cheap side

The Pedersoli can be made to fold back for cleaning by reshaping the detente notch then it will fold both ways.

I would look at a Montana Vintage Arms Soule . I think the customer service is much better. I have some of each. Don't go to the cheap side

+1. All their rear sight staffs are interchangeable on their mount. The Soule has windage built into the base of the rear sight staff, the Venier has windage in the eyecup cross piece. The Venier has less windage than the Soule, but with a windage adjustable front sight, the combination should cover most shooting situations... At least, so far mine has... ;) I'm hoping my new Long Range staff will get out to the 1500 yard gongs. The Mid-Range I had just wouldn't quite get to 1,000 yards.

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/

Outstanding sights. The $225.00 economy Soule is great. Add front globe with level for $85.00.