SASS Wire Forum

Reloading

Jed I. Master

I just got my copy of hornady's tenth edition reloading manual today and flipping through it I noticed that they don't supply any load data for the .38 or .357 for rifles. What gives? I saw 45 LC and 44-40 but not .38 or .357. They even make rounds specifically for lever guns to hunt with in those calibers... correct me if I'm wrong, but the longer barrel and different chamber (than a revolver) will affect the round's velocity and head spacing/chambering so it seems that they should have included the data tailored for rifles too...

Head-space and Chambering are independent of firearm type and are done to SAMMI specs...

Barrel length and cylinder gap are a factor in Velocity with the former having the greater effect ...

A good load for Cowboy in your revolvers will be just fine in your rifle ....

Hope this helps ...

Jabez Cowboy

You need to work up loads for your sixguns that are within CAS limits (1000 ft/sec), and that are safe in those guns. Most folks go for lower end loads, although I caution not to go below the MINIMUM loads listed in the handbooks, and you may find it more satisfactory with slightly higher loads, depending on the powder and bullet weight. Jabez Cowboy has it right: Any load okay in your sixguns will be just fine in your rifle (providing the overall length of the loaded cartridge feeds smoothly). The SASS maximum for rifles iss 1400 ft/sec. I guarantee that if your pistol loads are within the limits, they won't come near the rifle maximum. Loading one load for both rifle and pistol will eliminate logistical problems. You just grab the appropriate number of rounds and go, and don't worry about which load you are getting in which gun.

It is possible have sucha wimpy load that it will fire fine in the pistol and get stuck in the rifling of your rifle, especially in a longer barrel or a Marlin with a micro-groove barrel.

Work up your loads in small quantities before your make a truckbed full of them. That way you will know that they are safe and will cycle in your rifle.

What gives?

Hornady must have perceived little need to publish .357/.38 rifle data, so they did not spend the money on ballistics techs working up data for this edition.

In general, add 200-300 FPS to what a 6" revolver MV result is and you will be close to what the MV for a 20" lever rifle will produce with the same load.

If this is world-ending for you, then drop Hornady a note and express your concerns to them. If they get a hundred or so, their next edition may have some dedicated rifle data.

But, I never look at the rifle section of loading books for pistol cartridge data, so I won't be one of those with any concerns.

For the best data on cast bullet loading as we do for this sport, see the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4! They do have a rifle section for .38 spl, if I recall.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

My loads in .45 colt 5 1/2 barrel 960 fps. ,, 20 inch Uberti 66 1,240 Fps. ,, 20 inch Winchester 94 1,268 Fps. ,,, 24 in 92 1,280 Fps.

This same load Clocks in at 1,024 Fps. in my first Gen. Colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel , SO it is NOT used in SASS matches ...

.38 Spl. Uberti Richard Mason Conversion 8 inch barrel 970 Fps. ,,,, Uberti 1872 Open-Top 7 1/2 inch barrel 980 Fps.

.38 WCF Uberti 66 Sporting Rifle 24 5/8 inch barrel 1,303 Fps. Same load in First Gen Colt 7 1/2 barrel 1,034 Fps. NOT used for SASS ...

All these load Velocities can also be reached with the original Powder , for use in FCD ....

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 1