SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Gloves for Cold Weather

Shillelagh

Hi Y'all.

I am looking for some suggestions on gloves I could get for shooting in cold weather. I don't worry about recoil with the ammo we use. I am looking for something as thin as possible. My problem is that in cold weather my fingers start to hurt very quickly and shortly after that I can't feel anything but the pain. Something that is period plausible would be good but that isn't necessary.

Thanks,

Shillelagh

Not sure if these would work as shooting gloves, but I have some gloves similar to these.

Perhaps some LEO types will make suggestions.

https://www.chiefsupply.com/damascus-dyna-thin-unlined-leather-gloves-4.html

I call them my OJ gloves.

They fit tight and have to be pulled on.

Technically these are not legal, but when it is really cold I wear Underarmour football receiver gloves. Yes I know they're technically illegal, but my hands stay warm and I can handle my guns. I'm not going to be the top shooters so no one has objected to me using these gloves on a very cold day.

Edited by TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I tried finding gloves I could shoot well in - never did.

So, now I use large well insulated gloves that are easy to get on and off, with a hand warmer packet in each. Right before leaving the loading table, off come the gloves. Shoot, and at the unloading table, they go back on. Minute 30 at the most. Get a pair with a snap connector that joins the gloves and you can hang them over the back of your shotgun belt.

Good luck, GJ

Thin leather gloves that are flexible enough so you can work the guns can be used, IF you practice shooting with them. As a matter of fact, you should practice FIRST to see if you can work the guns with the guns UNLOADED! These gloves will NOT keep your hands warm for very long, but will keep wind chill down. I have a pair of muskrat mittens that I wear on a thong around my neck. The thong is long enough so I can drop my hands down to my sides. I tuck first one hand and then the other under my opposite armpit to pull the mittens off. I'll load my guns at the loading bench, then stick my gloved hands back in the mittens until called to the firing line.

This technique, using issued Air Force mittens worked well in sub-zero weather when surveying missiles back in the 1960's. Had to have dexterity for working the knobs on theodolites, but had to protect my skin from windchill.

As mentioned, gloves may or may not work. I have a pair that I wear that keep me warm but there's no way I could shoot in them. The thin gloves that I can shoot in make my hands feel colder than no gloves at all.

As an alternative I've been looking at the hand warmers that football players wear.

Here is an example:

handwarmer.jpg

When I shoot Skeet and Trap I use a pair of gloves made by Bob Allen with Thinsulate in them. They are specifically for shooting. Personally I can't shoot my revolvers with gloves on but these may help you.

I can recommend what gloves not to use when shooting. Wool knit gloves. They slide around to much on the hammer and trigger. An accidental discharge could be a bad thing.

Like John Boy I use regular old leather work gloves but I do not wear gloves on my trigger finger (right) hand when shooting.

Howdy,

MUFF.

Good nuff fer quarterbacks? Right?

And maybe put in a zippo handwarmer.

Yes Zippo still sells them, they look a lot like the ones I used

in jr high while delivering papers.

Or just stay indoors and try a shootin video.....

Best

CR

hey just less than two weeks left.

So, now I use large well insulated gloves that are easy to get on and off, with a hand warmer packet in each. Right before leaving the loading table, off come the gloves. Shoot, and at the unloading table, they go back on. Minute 30 at the most. Get a pair with a snap connector that joins the gloves and you can hang them over the back of your shotgun belt.

Good luck, GJ

This...plus propane. A good warm pair of gloves, hand warmers if you need them and I have several different Coleman propane heaters. The two newer models I put at the loading tables, the direct heat one hangs on my gun cart. You're only gonna be without heat for a little over a minute. ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I wear plain old $1.50 brown jersey(cotton) gloves until Im ready to shoot. Then back on at the unload table. If it gets below about 40 deg. we cancel. I get under my bankie.

Imis who tried all the other alternatives

I wear a pair of fingerless ragged wool gloves and a pair of military wolf fur and leather mittens when shooting in the cold. Our last shoot in Dec. the temp was -28. The mittens obviously come off before shooting but the fingerless gloves keep my hands warm enough and I have full control with my bare fingers.

Good luck, GJ

I use a similar method. I've tried gloves and find that I compromise too much dexterity and therefore speed. I keep my insulated gloves on until I'm on the line and ready to shoot. Once I've staged my guns, the gloves go in my coat pockets, and off comes the coat. After I've shot the stage, my coat and gloves go back on before I pick up my long guns. Keeping your hands warm and flexible is the secret to cold weather shooting. Hand warmers are a must. We shot yesterday where the temp was only a degree or two above zero and this all worked out well.

Any good photography store will have special gloves photographers wear in cold weather. That's what I use and they are great. They won't keep you warm at 20 below, but they do keep cold metal away from warm hands.

Hi Y'all.

I am looking for some suggestions on gloves I could get for shooting in cold weather. I don't worry about recoil with the ammo we use. I am looking for something as thin as possible. My problem is that in cold weather my fingers start to hurt very quickly and shortly after that I can't feel anything but the pain. Something that is period plausible would be good but that isn't necessary.

Thanks,

Shillelagh

Left and right hand golf gloves. About the thinnest you will find. They also make a pair of winter golf gloves of several types that are a bit thicker.