SASS Wire Forum

Sold to Dakota Steel / 38-40 Handi Rifle with Octagon Barrel

Price Reduced I have for sale a beautiful H&R Handi Rifle converted to 38-40 with ejector and a 19" octagon barrel. Its the perfect companion gun for those that love the 38-40. Rifle started as a 20 Gauge Topper and was stubbed and rebarreld with a Green Mountain Octagon barrel. The rifle sports a carbine style rear sight and a 3/16 Marbles gold bead front. The wood is real checkered walnut with a case colored butt plate. The case color on the receiver is near perfect and the barrel was cold blued (it looks very nice).

Looking to get $ 600.00 shipped to your FFL or pick up at Winter Range

78A7888E-0A33-4053-BD99-1465BC8D6B80.jpg[/url]

C5CCE4F7-EC73-4053-81E2-A99A95579102.jpg

CB250832-0860-492B-92FF-1D1F1A5E69FC.jpg

E2E33FD9-5A70-4657-B7BF-DA806DBD1F8E.jpg

Thanks for lookin

Chili

Edited by Chili Pepper Pete 11917

Marshal,

I did the work on it. I have always liked the 38-40 cartridge and though it would be cool to build an octagon barrel single shot with an ejector for plainsman and just to have. I have found that I like 38-55 better so I figured I might as well sell it to someone who likes 38-40

The gun shoots great, opens and closes easy and the ejector tosses the casings as it should. I also added a notch next to the chamber mouth to pry a stuck case out should it ever occur. As for group size I have never put it on paper. I hit a steel 20" target at 50 yards off hand 9 out of 10 shots and called it good. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best regards,

Chili

Edited by Chili Pepper Pete 11917

Never mind about the twist rate. I thought you could buy long , heavy bullets for it for longer range use. I did a quick search, and see that 180 gr is about it for bullets. Nice job on that rifle!

Try some 260 grain 40/65 bullets if you are looking for something longer and heavier.

I have five Handi Rifles, 45-70 & 38-55, but none as pretty as that one.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider, SASS# 73063

Chili

Your artistry never fails to amaze me.

I wish I had the need for this rifle ,not just the want.

Makes me want to take 6 inches off the barrel of my 38/55.

What is next to come from your workshop ?

Keep up the excellent work.

CATLOW

Thanks Catlow, I hope all is well with you and yours.

I just build what the voices in my head tell me to :P What do you need and not just want?

Thinking about a pair of Bisley ROAs or maybe another pair of Birdhead short barrel ROAs?

Best regards,

Chili

The Octagon Barrel ROA's still look great. No problems with the coating. I have a set of 5.5 Stainless ROA's that Boomstick pimped out for me so they are now my backups.

So Im curious about the bisley ROA's. Can you just swap grip frames? I have a 7.5 set of stainless ROAs and a set of old model bisley 45 vaqueros can they swap?

Thanks

Dakota