SASS Wire Forum

1866 Winchester Miroku?

Outrider, SASS #72622

How does the loading gate tab look? Have you taken the side plates off yet?

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hopefully better than the Uberti design...

Ok. This morning I see three Winchester 1866 short rifles in .38 on GB.

Hopefully we'll see more avaliable soon.

Likewise. I checked after reading about a fellow poster getting one and sure enough there were three, all in 38. One was listed at $1500 I think, but the other two were below msrp. I can't wait to see the 44-40

That's curious, I talked with Tammy at Winchester last week and she told me that the 1873's were sold out until Oct/Nov when a new shipment was coming in, and that the 1866's would be available in February. I informed her to tell the website design group that the needed to change the "1886" to "1866" on the website page. So it is interesting that the regular 1866, that she said would be 1299.99 is out.

I talked to someone at customer service about 3 weeks ago as well and she told me that they would be listed in their catalog around February, but no indication when they would be readily available. I wonder how these ones are getting out there already. Some sample ones pushed out ahead of time? I think one of the ones on gun broker was listed as serial number 3

The pic on Winchester's page makes it look like a round barrel. A 20 inch round barrel almost makes it a carbine as opposed to Uberti's 20 inch octagonal barrel. Sweet. :)

I will get some pictures out later tonight. If you thought the tab on the Uberti was bad, wait tell you see this one. Just a thin post.

oh good grief........

I will get some pictures out later tonight. If you thought the tab on the Uberti was bad, wait tell you see this one. Just a thin post.

Really looking forward to a photo of the gate.

Any guesses on whether it will be 5 rounds or 10 before that gate fails?

Wow.

I had high hopes that Winchester would do the gate right but that looks rather WEAK.

Anyone have a picture of the Winchester '73 gate for comparison?

Any guesses on whether it will be 5 rounds or 10 before that gate fails?

Wow.

I had high hopes that Winchester would do the gate right but that looks rather WEAK.

Anyone have a picture of the Winchester '73 gate for comparison?

Maybe the steel is a lot stronger than uberti. I can't recall what my 73 looks like, but if it were an issue I think we would have heard about it by now. They've been around for awhile.

Maybe the steel is a lot stronger than uberti. I can't recall what my 73 looks like, but if it were an issue I think we would have heard about it by now. They've been around for awhile.

Here's to hoping...

Darn great looking rifle, KH24. Thanks for posting those pics.

Is this set up like the Miroku Winchester '73 is with a lever throw a bit shorter/smoother than the Uberti?

Edited by Dantankerous

73 gates are different than 66 gates. They are much stronger. The loading gate in the photo looks like it should be reinforced before even using the gun. Doesn't matter how "strong" the metal is from the photo it appears the metal is so thin it is not going to hold up for competition shooting.

• Like 1

73 gates are different than 66 gates. They are much stronger. The loading gate in the photo looks like it should be reinforced before even using the gun. Doesn't matter how "strong" the metal is from the photo it appears the metal is so thin it is not going to hold up for competition shooting. while simply loading the rifle.

Fixed it for you.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Outrider, SASS #72622 said:

Got mine in after it went to Cody & Chuckaroo.  It looks and functions great! Tab seems to be fine. 

How about some pictures? I'd like to add a 66 to my cart. It's either the Winchester in 44-40 or the Uberti carbine in 38-40. I still haven't decided.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:42 PM, Dantankerous said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Winchester '66 in a "working/shooting" model, not simply an engraved show gun. Hopefully the caliber selection will be diverse and usable.

For what it's worth the "engraved show gun" model does work and you can shoot it.

Saw three in .38 spcl for sale yesterday starting at 1047.00. But none in .44-40.  I thought I had posted this yesterday and had included the name of a website where they were listed but don't see it today so maybe I am not suppose to list the website. PM me if you want the sight. 

Edited by Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439
Mistyping