SASS Wire Forum

Oh Ammo, Where Art Thou?

6 stage 10/10/4 is nothing compared to the amount of ammo that I put through on a 3 gun match. If it was not for the reloading machine I could not afford to go.

Depending on the machine, it can be daunting but in the end will pay for itself many times over. I probably have more tied up in die sets then the machine itself which is another expense. Still considering once the big expense is out of the way things pay for themselves quickly.

ALL: I knew I shouldn't have opened Pandora's reloading box.....accessories. It's enough to make your head

c70258b8-7523-4201-9dc8-c1d9c0aad7a8_zps

Powder Bars....Spare Parts Kits....Bullet trays...Case Gauges...Scale...Pick up Tubes....Calipers...Case Cleanser....Case/Media Separator...Polishing Media (Walnut hull?? and Corn Cob??)....

Maybe I should open an auto repair shop, just need wrenches, pliers and a hammer? LOL

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

When I got into "shooting", Uncle Sugar provided all the ammo I needed. When they decided I could actually shoot, they put me in competition and GAVE me all the ammo I could possible want... provided I shot it... what I didn't shoot I had to give back. Enter the ubiquitous B-I-L, who had a RCBS Jr. press and a reloading manual. We had some fun loading up for my .30-30, 45Colt and .44Mag. Showed up one day with those and box of goodies... said something like, "I've got to split town, hold these for me." When the police showed up a few days later, I could honestly say, "Dave's not here!"

When I got discharged, I realized rather quickly that shooting competitively, while subsisting on the GI Bill, was a "no-go". Talk about tight budgets! But, the wife found room in it somewhere to add .45Auto & .38/.357 dies and the rest of the stuff I needed to begin reloading. Did it like that for 12+ years until the wife and son started shooting with me. Bought a then brand new on the market Dillon 550B, and haven't looked back!

I've purchased one box of factory ammo of 45 Colt ammo. Still unopened. I've had a 7mmRemMag rifle... that's never even seen a piece of factory ammo in the 36 years I've hunted with it. Have a 375 Marlin, and two boxes of factory Winchester ammo, one in each flavor they offered. Again, still contain their original 20 cartridges each.

Some people reload to shoot, others shoot to reload. A very few fall in the middle.

Hi Cool Gun,

The Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook" reloading manual has more information and examples about lead ammunition which is what we mostly use in cowboy shooting.

Get this book first if money is tight.

The Lee manual is very good also. It has a lot of pistol loads.

Mo