SASS Wire Forum

Getting Hammered

John Henry Quick

A couple of years ago I got a pair of Smoke Wagons from Taylor's with Runnin' Iron hammers already installed. I love them! Now, I would like to install a similar hammer in a Pietta Frontier that I have laying about, but I've seen no equivalent hammers from Pietta. Is there a lowered Pietta hammer out there that I've missed in my searches? Are both Uberti and Pietta true enough to the original blueprint and are so interchangeable that I could I drop a Runnin' Iron hammer in a Pietta?

I have detail stripped my revolvers for annual cleaning and am comfortable with that task. Would this be a drop-in, or would I need the services of a professional gunsmith? I don't feel the need for a "trigger-job" for this, just a hammer that I can easily reach that's safely installed.

Thanks! The smarts here on The Wire are awesome!

I would think an Alchimista II or III hammer would work?

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/-Alchimista-I-II-III-c67.htm

I checked and they do not list the hammer as an available part. :(

Good idea though - thanks!

If you have a friend going to Winter Range ask them to stop by the Pietta tent. Alessandro usually brings several boxes of replacment hammers in a variety of styles with him. I bought a pair a couple of years ago. If I can find them I'll take a picture and if they are what you want I can sell you these and pick up more at the match.

If you have a friend going to Winter Range ask them to stop by the Pietta tent. Alessandro usually brings several boxes of replacment hammers in a variety of styles with him. I bought a pair a couple of years ago. If I can find them I'll take a picture and if they are what you want I can sell you these and pick up more at the match.

Thanks! I'm certainly interested in seeing them. Are they something I can drop in, or do they need to be fitted? (no one I know of going to Winter Range...)

Thanks! I'm certainly interested in seeing them. Are they something I can drop in, or do they need to be fitted? (no one I know of going to Winter Range...)

As I ALWAYS say. "Drop-in parts drop in until they don't." No one can tell you if a part will "drop in" until you try them in YOUR gun. Guns are machines. They have tolerances. Sometimes the tolerances stack in your favor, sometimes they don't. Generally the hammers fit with no problems.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

As I ALWAYS say. "Drop-in parts drop in until they don't." No one can tell you if a part will "drop in" until you try them in YOUR gun. Guns are machines. They have tolerances. Sometimes the tolerances stack in your favor, sometimes they don't. Generally the hammers fit with no problems.

Having been a machinist many more years ago than I care to remember, that's a concept I can follow. I'm willing to take my chances; if it doesn't drop in, there are people in the area that I can take it to.

If you already have the lower hammers in you Smoke Wagon and you have your guns apart for cleaning why not try the Uberti hammer in the Pietta?

I was wondering why this was on the wire.

Instead of the Saloon .

But after I opened it .

I see it was the wrong kinda ,

Getting Hammered !

See you in the Saloon :-)

Contact Charlie at EMF.