SASS Wire Forum

Loading a 97: How many ways?

Tom Bullweed

For the right handed shooter:

1. Pull 2, 3 or 4 with left hand and load singly over the top

2. Pull one at a time with right hand and load singly

3. Pull two at a time with right hand and load singly

4. Pull two with right hand, load one, close bolt, put one in the tube

How many other ways? Without getting too silly.....

Pull three, drop two, load one, shoot. Pull three more, drop two, load one, shoot. Repeat as often as necessary. At least that's how I do it.

Irish Tom.

Pull three, drop two, load one, shoot. Pull three more, drop two, load one, shoot. Repeat as often as necessary. At least that's how I do it.

Irish Tom.

You didn't state which hand you used so I assume you use both equally well. TO usually find me by following the trail of loaded shotshells on the ground. GW

• Like 1

Santa Fe River Stan pulls 3 with left hand & 1 with right hand.

He goes over the top with the left hand ammo for first 3 shots and then finishes the 4th shot with the 1 round in his right hand.

He's mighty good. I sure somebody can post a video of him shooting.

..........Widder

If you want to talk about LEFT handed shooters, there's always RED KNEE out in Oklahoma who pulls 4 with the right hand while shooting from his left shoulder.

He's 'kinda' fast..... :ph34r:

..........Widder

That Widder fellow likes to spank Mr.Knee.

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

Dig'em Deep pulls 2 with left hand & 2 with right hand.

He goes over the top with the left hand ammo for first 2 shots and then finishes with the 2 rounds in his right hand.

He's "fairly" quick with a '97.

I shoot from the left shoulder, used to pull 2 with right hand and load and run action. Arthritic thumb would cause the occasional fumble so went to single loading...thumb complains less and I don't fumble no more, and...I think it's actually a shade quicker for me.

Joe

Left handed shooter here.

Used to always pull one with right hand, toss it into the open port, close the action, BANG, open the action, repeat.

But recently I have started this...

Pull 1 with right hand, toss it into the open port, close action, BANG, pull 2, stuff 'em into the mag, pump, bang, pump, bang. Repeat as needed.

Left handed 97 shooter.

Sweep across belt, pull four shells with right hand. Press lowermost shell into port and then grasp shells and forearm together to cycle action. Fire and open action, press next lowest shell into port. Repeat until hand is empty.

Minimal trips to the belt.

But from 1000s of rounds of 12g brass scraping against them... the forearms on my 97s look like an enraged beaver attacked.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022

Pull two drop one. Pull one put in sideways, pull two and wonder what in the heck is going on. :D:D:D

When I switched to setting up the shells so that #1 and #3 from the left sit at a different height than #2 and #4 the occurrence of shell fumbles significantly went down. Oh yea, you have to wear out at least one 97 clone practicing.