SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Camping Questions

Rancho Roy

Is potable water available somewhere on site? I'll be in a non-hookup site.

Is there a dump station? Where is the dump station located?

Are fire rings permitted?

Any other "Gotcha" I should be aware of. My first time there.

Edited by Roy B

There are water connections at the on site RV camp.

It also has the dump station. Its at the entrance of the RV park. This is where you can get water. I'd ask about it being Potable. No warnings when we camped at the RV site.

When I was there no exterior fires allowed. Not even the Bar b Que stands that were built in at each RV site.

Ike

It also has the dump station. Its at the entrance of the RV park. This is where you can get water. I'd ask about it being Potable.

That dump station in the main RV park has a big sign on the water spigot at the dump station - NON-potable. Has had the last 4 years. (Now, have a few folks used it in their campers? Well...)

The better supply is to make a friend in the full-hookup area and fill your rig there. (Take along a clean hose and a Y connector) Then go park it.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

First of all were are you staying, there is the overflow at the main campground Ben Avery. Also SASS was talking about non-hookup sites near the main tent. The overflow can use the dump station at the camp ground and you bum water and maybe electric from the fence riders in the campground. The SASS sites you need to talk to them about the availability of dump and water on site. There is the mid camping area not far from the SASS site and someone would surely let you hook in for water, dumping is harder because of hose lenght.

You then have few problems water and a dump station are available.

First of all were are you staying, there is the overflow at the main campground Ben Avery. Also SASS was talking about non-hookup sites near the main tent. The overflow can use the dump station at the camp ground and you bum water and maybe electric from the fence riders in the campground. The SASS sites you need to talk to them about the availability of dump and water on site. There is the mid camping area not far from the SASS site and someone would surely let you hook in for water, dumping is harder because of hose lenght.

To be clear this should be "Winter Range." SASS is at Founders Ranch.

There are two campgrounds at Ben Avery with hookups and some non hook up sites. They are the East campground by the public shooting range and the other at the West end Clay Target Center. Winter Range has identified overload spots folks can camp with no hookups of any kind. The East end hookups are water and electricity only with a camgroud dump station. There are also bathrooms with showers at the East campground. I am sure if you are shooting Winter Range and did not get into the East or West campgrounds and are in the no hookup overflow areas I am sure you can use the East campground dump station, bathrooms and showers.

There are three campgrounds at Ben Avery with hookups, the East campground, the Center Campground located behind/ beside the horse corral and the West Campground at the clay center. You are correct Larsen Winter Range designated some dry camping not SASS. Carelessly using SASS as a generic term meaning " the authority".

Roy B....we will be in #70...

There are water spigots throughout the campground....

We take a second hose to reach without issue.

You may fill at any available.

Look at the msp to find your spot...I think you are near us.

Being there are clean restroom/bath houses....you should not need the dump untill leaving.

We take a 6gal jug to add water when needed.

The water at the dump is NOT potable...that spigot for rinsing drain hose only.

All other water is potable.

Note: if you arrive after hours...the gate code you were given is NOT for the main gate (as you come in, it is directly in front of you)

The code is for the gate to the left of that gate. It us the back entrance to the East Campground.

If you need mire info, just pm me.

See you soon!

Thanks Sue...this is great help. Three years ago I was on a business trip to AZ and read about WR in the local newspaper. Drove up to have a look and the rest is history. At the time I didn't even know CAS existed! Now my wife is joining me and this will be her first big shoot. We can't wait!

There is a spigot, just to the left of the bath house, there at the left of your space... not to hook up to...but to fill up with. We are in the same loop with you. You are a bit after 12 o clock....we are just about 7 !!

Edited by singin' sue