SASS Wire Forum

Need help from pards in OH, IN, KY, TN, or ?

Calico Mary

It’s no big secret that I am sick and tired of living in Denver, and I’ve wanted to get out of this place for a long time. That itch is starting to getting to me again….I still can’t decide whether I want to scratch it or just buy a huge bottle of calamine lotion……I may be crazy, but I am also just smart enough to realize that IF I left Denver I would have to go…..somewhere…… :huh:

I’m not sure why, but for some reason I keep feeling like I’m being drawn towards the OH, IN, KY, TN area (though I would consider other places)….couldn’t possibly be all the wonderful SASS folks and the great clubs and really fun matches….nah…couldn’t be :lol: ….I have no idea why that area appeals to me…. (yer a lil lackin’ on mountains there)….I hear that you have this thing called humidity, not so sure about that :unsure: ….but I do know that I did kinda like Indiana and especially Ohio when I got two chances to go there a few years ago….

So, humor me a little here, give me something to think about besides that dang snow outside….IF I was to think about emigrating…..give me some ideas to help narrow this thought down a bit. I don’t really want to trade one huge city for another one just as bad, though I do realize that’s where the most job opportunities probably are. I would prefer a smaller city, say less than 100,000 but I’m open to most options of decent places to live. Memphis is definitely out, and Cleveland might be as well. What I’m looking for is info on things like unemployment rates/possibility of job openings, housing rates, crime rates, cost of living, weather patterns….general stuff like that. What are some decent places, where should be avoided. Money is a definite serious concern….I don’t have very much of it!! Anybody got any info along those lines that they could share with me? Please keep in mind that right now this is just a dream…..

(oh, one more thing….must have a Joanns within driving distance…..)

Northeast Ohio has some great suburbs. Cleveland is the big city but the suburbs are real nice. It's affordable here too. Avon Lake, Rocky River, Bay Village, Wellington to the west, Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby, Mentor to the east. Seven Hills. Parma to the south. You'd be within 2 hours or less of a cowboy shoot every weekend. Plus you'd live to close to me and Prairie Dawg. ;) I live in Euclid and Dawg lives in Cleve.Hts. neither of which I would recommend although you can get a house really reasonable in Euclid.

Pleasant dreams!!!

​Mary,
I guess, if you don't like humidity, South Carolina is more or less out of the question. The area where I'm located is close to (30-35 miles) Columbia and Lexington. Yes, there is a Joann's fairly close by.

​Get outside the cities and housing/property prices/taxes are probably a lot less than what you're accustomed to.

​Anyway, consider Lexington County area in SC. Sumers may be a bit rough at first, but I like it. Nice folks and five clubs within a 2-3 hour drive.

Enjoy your dreaming.

PP

Bowling Green, KY

• Population 62,000
  • SASS
    • Green River Gunslingers
    • Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild(1 hour 45 minutes)
    • Wartrace Regulators (2 Hours)
    • Evansville, IN (1 hour 45 minutes)
  • Joanns in Glasgow(30minutes) and Madison, TN(1hr)
Hendersonville, TN
  • Population 55,000
  • SASS
    • Green River Gunslingers(1 hour)
    • Wartrace Regulators (1 Hour 15 minutes)
    • Paducah, KY (2 hours)
  • Joanns in Madison, TN(15 minutes)
  • Berretta is hiring in nearby Gallatin, TN
Both of these cities would put you near a bunch of great cowboys(not going to name names lest I forget someone)

and some shady characters like myself, Blackwater, and Elk Creek Lemiuex...

Northwest Ohio is not bad at all, there are a super bunch of cowboys and cowgirls, who enjoy the shooting but more important enjoy one another. Now if you head south and cross ithe Ohio river into Kentucky it's just like going into the promised land, milk and honey flowing, the grass is "blue" and the it's sunny most every day.

Mrs.Mary you can come to my state.You like low humidity and a change in weather.Our humidity is in the low 90s sometime and if you don't like the weather you just have to wait a little while.Texas would be bless to have you.Pit Bull

Come on over the East Tennessee, mountains (small by your definition) green, green and more green, plenty of SASS clubs to play in and it hardly ever snows and when it does it goes away in a few days.

Northeast Ohio has some great suburbs. Cleveland is the big city but the suburbs are real nice. It's affordable here too. Avon Lake, Rocky River, Bay Village, Wellington to the west, Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby, Mentor to the east. Seven Hills. Parma to the south. You'd be within 2 hours or less of a cowboy shoot every weekend. Plus you'd live to close to me and Prairie Dawg. ;) I live in Euclid and Dawg lives in Cleve.Hts. neither of which I would recommend although you can get a house really reasonable in Euclid.

Pleasant dreams!!!

Ha, My daughter just moved from Cleveland Heights to Denver. So she has a house for sale / rent in Cleveland Heights.

Edited by Ya Big Tree

Fort Wayne, IN. Would be about 1 hour from Paradise Pass (IN. State Shoot) and 1hr. 40 min. from Miami Valley Cowboys (OH. State Shoot)

There ain't a better bunch of Cowboys and Cowgirls.

Fort Wayne, IN. Would be about 1 hour from Paradise Pass (IN. State Shoot) and 1hr. 40 min. from Miami Valley Cowboys (OH. State Shoot)

There ain't a better bunch of Cowboys and Cowgirls.

Bingo! We have a winner!! ;) Nothing against all my CO pards, some of them I love dearly, but the warm welcome I got at the two Ohio State matches I got to go to was so incredible, even if I was only there 3 days each time it was plenty long enuff ta fall in luv wit a lot of yu folks tuu.... :wub::wub::wub:

We lived for about 15 years in Monument, CO, then the spousal unit decided she wanted to move back to her origins, Illinois. Needless to say, I was not on board with this but went along, kicking and screaming. Darn near ended a 32 year marriage. After about 5-6 months she came to me and apologized, said it was a "huge mistake". Illinois now is not as she remembered it when she left at age 17. I guess EVERY person we met in IL that asked us where we moved from and said "What the f**k did you move to Illinois for?", started to sink in.

Now we are living back in Texas after only 1 year in IL. Big reason to be here is to be near our first grandchild.

We moved our daughter and S-I-L into their how here in TX in June on a day that was 102 degrees. As I was moving boxes from their U-Haul truck, I realized that 102 in the DFW area actually does NOT feel nearly as bad as 90 in Springfield, IL. Humidity sucks.

I used to really dislike Texas. But after spending a year in the Republik of Illinois, Texas is pretty darn good. Except the idiot drivers around DFW.

On an even better note, we took my wife's best friend and husband (one of my best friends) to my home of MT in August on a land search and vacation trip. They bought land in MT and we almost did but our deal went south. Wife is now totally bought in on moving to MT for retirement. She's been open to the idea for a while but now is completely on board.

Ms Mary

As Tn Tombstone and Tyrel have stated Tennessee is a great place to be. I lived in Denver 50 years ago and hated the 11 month winters, Now, we do have some humidity but I choose that over cold. I live in Murfreesboro, TN (pop. 125k) , 30 miles south of and an unpleasant commute to Nashville pop 1 mil during work hours, lots of job opportunities AND 35 minutes from Wartrace, home of the Wartrace Regulators range TT and Tyrel shoot with us from time to time AND home of the TN State Championship. We have one of the nicest ranges you will find, surrounded by rolling, grass covered hills TODAY its 65 degrees out. I admit to bias.

my $.02

Imis

• Like 1

It’s no big secret that I am sick and tired of living in Denver, and I’ve wanted to get out of this place for a long time. That itch is starting to getting to me again….I still can’t decide whether I want to scratch it or just buy a huge bottle of calamine lotion……I may be crazy, but I am also just smart enough to realize that IF I left Denver I would have to go…..somewhere…… :huh:

I’m not sure why, but for some reason I keep feeling like I’m being drawn towards the OH, IN, KY, TN area (though I would consider other places)….couldn’t possibly be all the wonderful SASS folks and the great clubs and really fun matches….nah…couldn’t be :lol: ….I have no idea why that area appeals to me…. (yer a lil lackin’ on mountains there)….I hear that you have this thing called humidity, not so sure about that :unsure: ….but I do know that I did kinda like Indiana and especially Ohio when I got two chances to go there a few years ago….

So, humor me a little here, give me something to think about besides that dang snow outside….IF I was to think about emigrating…..give me some ideas to help narrow this thought down a bit. I don’t really want to trade one huge city for another one just as bad, though I do realize that’s where the most job opportunities probably are. I would prefer a smaller city, say less than 100,000 but I’m open to most options of decent places to live. Memphis is definitely out, and Cleveland might be as well. What I’m looking for is info on things like unemployment rates/possibility of job openings, housing rates, crime rates, cost of living, weather patterns….general stuff like that. What are some decent places, where should be avoided. Money is a definite serious concern….I don’t have very much of it!! Anybody got any info along those lines that they could share with me? Please keep in mind that right now this is just a dream…..

(oh, one more thing….must have a Joanns within driving distance…..)

You especially liked Ohio cause a all the INDIANA folks you got to visit with! Just sayin'. :D

NE Indiana has low cost of living and a pretty good job market. And Kaya can show you all the fabric stores.

well, I didn't say that all tha folks I met in Ohio that were so nice and sweet were FROM Ohio....like that Karl fella, lil weird but ok, and of course Iron Maiden holds a special place in my heart for all her generosity.....

then there wuz that one cattle rustler fella from IN....I dunno bout him..... :P:P

Mary, :wub:

I spent 60 years in OH and had some good friends there, hunted, fished, rode motorcycles, raced dirt bikes, ruined a marriage, found SASS & met & shot with Rye Miles & Purdy Boy & Split Rail & Stone Creek Drifter along the way. The only suggestion I can give ya is get a place below Columbus. Something about the Southern half of the state is just more appealing to me. Cincinnati latitude weather is light years ahead of Cleveland & it's lake effect snow & the further ya get South, the warmer the people seem too. The topography is better as you go South too.

Good luck in your quest & say "Hi" to Buick fer me !!

Edited by Yusta B.

Mary a smaller town, good weather, warm winters not so hot summers, no humidly; lots of Cowboy shooting 5 clubs within 2 hrs. Where is it. Just over the hill in St. George Utah.

Mary a smaller town, good weather, warm winters not so hot summers, no humidly; lots of Cowboy shooting 5 clubs within 2 hrs. Where is it. Just over the hill in St. George Utah.

I would ask you to come even further south to Vegas but even I can't argue against St. George. The Dixie Desperados are an INCREDIBLY great club and all the clubs in Vegas would be just an hour away. (Well, an hour if you drive like I do. ;) )

NE Ohio historically has some of the lower cost of living around. I know the JoAnn's that Kay goes to is in Canton. Shoots every weekend within 1½ hrs in all directions. The farther you get away from Lake Erie, the better chance of getting out of the lake effect snow machine. They will have 2 ft of snow in Cleveland and we won't have anything on the ground in Canton. Plenty of small to mid-size towns around. I live out in the middle of nowhere on top of a hill surrounded by corn and soybeans, but I am still 10 minutes from civilization. It was 35 minutes to my job in Akron. A cowboy buddy has some rental properties around here too. You're always welcome around here, but I would still be one to ask why you moved from Colorado. Been to Colorado quite a few times and it shor is purty. I won't leave this area because I am only 10 minutes from all my kids and grandkids.

Indiana is a Shall Issue state. Unless you LOVE snow stay away from the northwest part of the state. Too much Lake Michigan snow effect for me.

Edited by Matthew Duncan
  • Like 1

why? political climate, cost of living, Denver is getting way too big for my tastes and going downhill fast, pretty much a sanctuary city now.....few other reasons too, but those are the main ones....there's parts of our state that are beautiful, and I love my SASS family here, but the options for living here besides in Denver either don't appeal to me or are even more expensive, way beyond what I can afford...

The wife and I moved from Wisconsin (between Milwaukee and Green Bay) to S.E. Tennessee (Chattanooga) in 1977. The cost of living is much less than Denver. You can purchase a very nice home for much less than the Denver area. There are plenty of outdoor activities and new micro breweries, restaurants, and shopping make this a great place to live.

As TN Tombstone (we shoot with him twice a month) stated this is a great area for cowboy shooting. There are plenty of nearby clubs and we shoot all year long (the wife and I shoot 3 weekends a month) Tennessee is very gun friendly, has no income tax, and, on the whole, very friendly people.

Edited by TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I second what Tyrel said about Bowling Green KY. Central KY is nice. Not too hot, no brutal winters. Low taxes, cheap housing, and federal pensions are tax exempt :D I retired here with good reason after living all over the globe.

As Mongo stated we have no income tax and I think this is a big plus. Like Imis I also live in Murfreesboro. We are pretty close to lots of SASS clubs however we are pretty much flat landers. Like Tennessee Tombstone said in East Tennessee we have the Smokey Mountains (maybe just hills to you). My home club is the Wartrace Regulators.

http://www.wartraceregulators.com/default.aspx Also within driving distance is the Ocoee Rangers

http://ocoeerangers.com/ Oak Ridge Outlaws

http://oakridgeoutlaws.org/ Tennessee Mountain Marauders

http://www.themarauder.com/ North Alabama Regulators

http://www.northalabamaregulators.com/ and in Kentucky we're not to far from Green River Gunslingers

http://greenrivergunslingers.com/ and The Southeast Regional will be in Memphis starting this year.

http://www.memphisgunslingers.com/

I've been pretty lazy about updating my blog lately but if you look through the archives you can find pictures of many of the clubs mentioned.

http://wartracecowboys.blogspot.com/

If you get a chance come on to Tennessee and check us out, several shooters have and stayed

Randy

JEDI Calico Mary,

All those states you mentioned are top notch when it comes to clubs and the Cowboys/Cowgirls that shoot in those areas.

The ONLY drawback to moving to Indiana is that you will have to put up with Purty Boy (ShyAnnie)... :lol:

Also, a good deal of the clubs in those states are VERY GF indoctrinated. In other words, there are PLENTY of top notch GFer's at many of the clubs in those areas you are considering.

Its not uncommon for the Ocoee Rangers (in Cleveland TN) or the Oak Ridge Outlaws (in Oak Ridge TN) to have 60+ shooters at a match with many GFer's, who also occupy about 50% of the Top 10 every month.

And those clubs also have a few Cowgirl GFer's like Last Kiss and Anita Margarita.

And as a bonus, you would get to see and shoot with some of those ornery OUTLAWS, who do it from the hip. Those folks (Cowboys & Cowgirls) are awesome.

I wish you well in your search. I doubt you would be disappointed in any of those listed states, PLUS most areas of the South.

And just think, in the warm weather months, you could get on a posse and be entertained by Slater, Purly and Widder..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

Mary,

I left Illinois and moved to Alabama about a year and have ago. I am in a small town half way between Huntsville and Birmingham, and have a SASS club about 15 miles south of me, 2 Sass clubs in Birmingham about a hour south, and North Alabama Regulators about 45 minutes north and Wartrace in Tenn about 2.5 hours north. Depending on how much you like to venture out, there are more clubs a bit further out. Rent is cheap, I have a 3bd, 3bt brick house for $650/month, and CCW permits are $20/yr, just stop by the sheriff's office and pick it up. You can be at the Gulf coast in about 4-5 hours if you like beaches or head to Chattanooga in about 2 hours and on to the Smokey Mountains. Since I live in town and should not shoot in the back yard like most around here, I found a 400 yd rifle range and 50 yard pistol range about 8 miles from the house for a $100/yr, open daylight hours year round. So far, the only problems I have found is the roads here run in a straight line for about 20 feet and then turn. Also, other than Dollar General and local grocery store, everything is 20 to 30 miles away. You just have to plan a bit when you want to go shopping. If you are looking for a job, we always have openings where I work. The only question would be how do you feel about working with Chickens?

you will have to put up with Purty Boy (ShyAnnie)... :lol:

And just think, in the warm weather months, you could get on a posse and be entertained by Slater, Purly and Widder..... :lol::lol::lol:

..........Widder

um....are you tryin' ta talk me inta comin' east or out of it????????? :unsure::P:P :P

Could always think about Northeast Texas. Specifically, Hopkins County / Sulphur Springs area. You are less than 1 1/2 hours from Texas Ten Horns(1st weekend of the month) in Leanard, Barlands Bar 3(3rd weekend) near Clarksville. Just shy of 2 hours is Texas Toublemakers(1st Saturday) near Brownsburo. A few others in the area with little more driving. Cost of living is relatively low. Mild-ish winters, but some what hot summers. Very few Tornadoes in the area too(helps to be just outside Tornado Alley).

You can get a house cheap in Akron!!

http://fox8.com/2017/01/03/how-this-akron-home-sold-for-1/

Well, if you're a nurse you can pretty much name your price here in SW FL. (HAHA, I did not see you are data entry/accounts payable).

Don't know about jobs. I made my own.

Weather, yep we have it. 80's today. Low humidity.

Summer gets warm and moist.

Great bunch of SASS folks here!

I LOVE FLORIDA... but it ain't for everybody.

If I were looking to make a life change I would move to TENNESSEE in a heartbeat.

Folks there make outsiders feel like part of the family (the part you actually WANT to be with). :lol: HAHA, line stoled from Lady T.

NO state tax. Great Smoky Mountains. Lots to do outdoors.

I bet there is a Joannes but I did not look for one the last time I was there. :lol:

Waimea

Edited by Waimea