SASS Wire Forum

Need help from pards in OH, IN, KY, TN, or ?

Calico Mary

It’s no big secret that I am sick and tired of living in Denver, and I’ve wanted to get out of this place for a long time. That itch is starting to getting to me again….I still can’t decide whether I want to scratch it or just buy a huge bottle of calamine lotion……I may be crazy, but I am also just smart enough to realize that IF I left Denver I would have to go…..somewhere…… :huh:

I’m not sure why, but for some reason I keep feeling like I’m being drawn towards the OH, IN, KY, TN area (though I would consider other places)….couldn’t possibly be all the wonderful SASS folks and the great clubs and really fun matches….nah…couldn’t be :lol: ….I have no idea why that area appeals to me…. (yer a lil lackin’ on mountains there)….I hear that you have this thing called humidity, not so sure about that :unsure: ….but I do know that I did kinda like Indiana and especially Ohio when I got two chances to go there a few years ago….

So, humor me a little here, give me something to think about besides that dang snow outside….IF I was to think about emigrating…..give me some ideas to help narrow this thought down a bit. I don’t really want to trade one huge city for another one just as bad, though I do realize that’s where the most job opportunities probably are. I would prefer a smaller city, say less than 100,000 but I’m open to most options of decent places to live. Memphis is definitely out, and Cleveland might be as well. What I’m looking for is info on things like unemployment rates/possibility of job openings, housing rates, crime rates, cost of living, weather patterns….general stuff like that. What are some decent places, where should be avoided. Money is a definite serious concern….I don’t have very much of it!! Anybody got any info along those lines that they could share with me? Please keep in mind that right now this is just a dream…..

(oh, one more thing….must have a Joanns within driving distance…..)

There are some really nice suburbs of Cleveland and you'd be within 2 hours or less of cowboy shoots every weekend! Cost of living is great and you would have access to places to work in Cleveland. Check out the Cleveland/ Northeast Ohio suburbs. Rocky River, Fairview Park, Avon, Avon Lake ,Wellington to the west. To the east Lake county is great! Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby, Mentor, Painesville, Concord. You'd also be close to a bunch of good pards like me and Prairie Dawg. (I live in Euclid and Dawg lives in Cleveland Hts. but I would NOT recommend either of these places although you could get a house really cheap in Euclid) Sweet dreams!!! ;)

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

Bowling Green, KY

• Population 62,000
  • SASS
    • Green River Gunslingers
    • Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild(1 hour 45 minutes)
    • Wartrace Regulators (2 Hours)
    • Evansville, IN (1 hour 45 minutes)
  • Joanns in Glasgow(30minutes) and Madison, TN(1hr)
Hendersonville, TN
  • Population 55,000
  • SASS
    • Green River Gunslingers(1 hour)
    • Wartrace Regulators (1 Hour 15 minutes)
    • Paducah, KY (2 hours)
  • Joanns in Madison, TN(15 minutes)
  • Berretta is hiring in nearby Gallatin, TN
Both of these cities would put you near a bunch of great cowboys(not going to name names lest I forget someone)

and some shady characters like myself, Blackwater, and Elk Creek Lemiuex...

Calico Mary, will yer parole officer approve the move?

Bowling Green, KY

• Population 62,000
  • SASS
    • Green River Gunslingers
    • Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild(1 hour 45 minutes)
    • Wartrace Regulators (2 Hours)
    • Evansville, IN (1 hour 45 minutes)
  • Joanns in Glasgow(30minutes) and Madison, TN(1hr)
Hendersonville, TN
  • Population 55,000
  • SASS
    • Green River Gunslingers(1 hour)
    • Wartrace Regulators (1 Hour 15 minutes)
    • Paducah, KY (2 hours)
  • Joanns in Madison, TN(15 minutes)
  • Berretta is hiring in nearby Gallatin, TN
Both of these cities would put you near a bunch of great cowboys(not going to name names lest I forget someone)

and some shady characters like myself, Blackwater, and Elk Creek Lemiuex...

Hendersonville is mostly high rent district! I'd look at Springfield or Lebanon in middle Tennessee, OR over in the Cheatham or Dickson county areas!!

Tyrel's right! Southern central Kentucky and most of middle and east Tennessee are grey i you avoid the cities and the higher rent bedroom counties!!

AND!! The weather is less snowy in the winter!!

HEY!! I ain't a bit shady!! I'm sneaky and totally treacherous, but I AIN'T shady!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393

I would say that if you look at a map, Ohio has plenty of rural areas, small towns and small cities within commuting distance of bigger cities. Columbus is a good example. Within half an hour you have several smaller cities and towns that aren't actual suburbs. Given Ohio's size and highway system, putting yourself near Columbus would put you within a couple of hours drive of nearly all the shooting you can handle.

Prescott Valley, Arizona.

Nuff said.

Contact me for more info.

Oh, BTW, I an put you in touch with some of the finest costume makers in the world. You want to sew, so sew!!!

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

ya got a tree I cud sleep unner in yer back yard? if so, I'm buying!!! hell, I'd even watch that....whut's it...baseball??

I got a garage, no heat but it's got electric and you could plug in a heater!! :lol:

that would be even better.....got a porta-potty?

No but there's a few buckets out there you could use..... and there's paper towels and rags out there and garbage bags! :)

or you cud let me sleep in the bathtub.....

What if I have to get up and go to the bathroom????

Actually I have a spare bedroom!! ;)

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

in that case, what kind of beer do you drink?? :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol:

Calico,

It ain't beer that Rye and others in the surrounding states might drink.......... its Lemonade.

Check out your map and you'll see that Ohio borders on Kentucky. And most any state that borders on KY or TN has 'lemonade'.

As for me, I don't indulge. That will leave more for you.

..........Widder

My wife and I moved to east Tennessee five years ago from Ohio and have really enjoyed it. Nice weather, friendly people, lots of national forests and the Smoky Mountains, a healthy economy, and lower home prices and taxes.

We live in Maryville, TN just south of Knoxville and within spitting distance of the Smokies.

But it's hard to go wrong looking at almost any town from Chattanooga and Cleveland (TN) in the south, Knoxville in the middle, up to Johnson City and Bristol on the north end.

the beer wud be fer yu Rye, I dunt drink that stuff!!! yuck!! :wacko: I prefer likker tha tastes gud..... :P:P:P

Now yer talkin', rye whiskey!!! Maybe some Canadian Club, Bulliet Bourbon??? It's all good!!! :lol:

Hmmm....I like Bullit.....mebbe that wud do.....

dunt wurry.....I'z not gonna git ya drunk and take advantage of ya.....laff at ya mebbe, but that's it!!! :P:P :P

:lol:

Hutchinson mn. Pop under 40000 45 min from the twin cities joanns in town 2 clubs under 30 minutes away. Perfect weather 8 months out of the year

Hutchinson mn. Pop under 40000 45 min from the twin cities joanns in town 2 clubs under 30 minutes away. Perfect weather 8 months out of the year

She want's to be somewhere that it DOESN'T sn0w much...

or at least all the shooting I could afford....that part is still up in the air, but I can't think of a better area to do it in..... ;)

You can afford to shoot with this bunch, dear heart! Don't worry about that, we'll make it happen!

Rye and Doc speak truly, I'll defer to their wise counsel!

Consider Texas. No state income tax, lots of great SASS clubs. Just make sure you are south of Amarillo where it does get really cold sometimes. South Texas and East Texas are great. Houston had 80 degree temps here yesterday. Today highs in the 60s.

Check out the Southwestern Missouri/Northern Arkansas/Eastern Oklahoma part of the country.

Much lower cost of living than what you are used to. You can buy nearly twice the house for the money as you can in Denver. Multiple SASS clubs within a two hour circle. Milder winters, although we do have an occasional Ice storm and a few tornadoes...nothing like hurricanes or earthquakes though! Pretty conservative gun friendly area for the most part. Humidity? Yes. We have air conditioning.

I don't know what kind of job you are looking for, but Springfield is a service economy, colleges and hospitals. Northwestern Arkansas is Walmart headquarters and retirement communities.

I'm a Colorado native, Pueblo and Boulder, but I doubt I will ever leave Southwest Missouri.