SASS Wire Forum

Retirement...

"Obamacare" "Affordable Care Act," Warden...? :mellow:

Now I'm on Medicare, part A-Z. I've lost 50 pounds over the past 10 years and try to stay active and can keep my blood pressure down without drugs. I haven't been to the doctor in over 2 years so I just pay into the plan and not used it.

Retired at 62 & love it. My sentence was up! It was the earliest I could get out with full benefits even though it was 3 months short of 30 years. I checked the math, if I worked to the full 30 I'd get enough extra pension for a good cup of coffee each month. Was not going to work April through June for that!

I now have three "jobs", one for small pay, one stipend and one volunteer. But each one is because I want to do it and all are on my schedule and I'm taking 2 months off without asking anyone's "permission".

I had to quit the main work force when I had major back surgery in 1992. We still owned some business assets that I continued to manage and improve and build on once I recovered from my back surgeries. Three years ago in May we sold the last mountain top communications site because the county, state and federal regulations became so cumbersome that We'd had enough and surrendered. We kept a few other small income producing opportunities but now I'm almost a full time worker again in the woodshop.

I'm getting out the end of July this year at age 60 and with 32 1/2 years with the company. They froze our pensions at the end of 2015 , so I've just been waiting for 60 so I get full benefits. Saved up enough vacation that my last actual day at the plant will be June 21st, Lord willing.

Then my wife can try to work me to death on the ranch... 😃

Edited by Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580

Just pulled the plug. 2016 was my last year. 58 yrs old. 42 yrs self employed. Looking forward to the future.

I retired 18 months ago when it was the choice between sayin Bye and being read my rights. Miss the extra cash but Im pretty busy just hanging out with Blue Boy, he occasionally needs some help in Assisted Living, and the cat needs a lap for nap time. Could be worse. I have every spent case loaded, ready for CAS

Imis

Retired at age 60, after 35 years at the company.

Would have gone two more but next pending assignment was working for a person whose

aggressive and oppressive style and attitudes were contemptible.

Two years later (next month) I get my first SS check to add to my pension.

House will be paid off shortly, no debt, and planning to travel a lot more.

We did the calculation about SS, starting at 62 versus 65 versus 70.

I turns out that it takes until age 73 to make up what you earned by starting at 62, and

only then do you get a head by a $100 or so each month.

I figure I'd rather have it now while we're both young enough to utilize it a lot, than to

wait till later. YMMV, but for us it makes sense.

Don't miss working everyday, tensions and challenges of managing a group of

engineers on a difficult project with angry management is tiring! Being retired is

stress free and I can enjoy life significantly more than working 50 plus hours a week!

SC

For Sociable Security, waiting 'til 66 (September) will be about $200/month. I'll gamble and wait it out... :)

Filing for SS, that is... fer sure ain't gonna wait 'til then to bail! :huh:

Decided to hang up the spikes at 64, and the main reason was my grandson.. decided I wanted to spend as much time enjoying the little guy as I could before he got old enough that he wouldn't want to hang around with me anymore..now he's my little buddy and I spend as much time with him as I can..

It required major downsizing ( as those of you that watch the sale classified forum know) but I do work 6 months per year as a Ranger/Historian for the NPS and fortunately I have been working as a seasonal for NPS long enough that I am able to work near his home..so even when I do work I can see him a couple of days per week.

No regrets, they grow up so fast that in a twinkle of an eye your chance to enjoy time with them is gone....am glad I made the decision..

Tinpan McGurk

I retired a week ago, I'm 62. I had to retire because I was getting too many complaints about Badlands Bob, he needs adult supervision 😁

Kajun

Wife retired 4 months ago, she's 63. I'm on track to retire in 3 months. I'll be 63 by then.

I retired from working in corrections in 1995 at age 50, with 27 years + service. Been working part-time since then, mostly guvmint security training contracts in the D.C. metro area, but will give that up at the end of this year and get something closer to home.

"...only then do you get a head by a $100 or so each month. "

Man, if that was the spread on my benefits, I'd retire today. For me, the difference between retiring at 66 and at 70 is about a $1000 a month. I can wait, I guess.

LL

Do the math.

At 66 you start drawing, and get 12 months times 4 years before you start at 70. Let's pretend it's 2500 per month.

That's 120,000 in four years.

Now at 70 instead you'd get 3500 per month. You were already getting 2500 a month so it's only 1000 month more, so

it takes 120 months to make up that 120,000 you made from age 66 to 70 and then you start getting ahead in the game

and making more.

So at age 80 you will finally start to make more money than if you started at 66.....

Using smaller amounts - say 1500 per month, then going to 2500 per month.

48 months times 1500 = 72000. 1000 per month more at 70 means you will break even at 76 years old.

That might be a good deal for you . . you ave to work out the math for your actual numbers though . . .

YMMV

SC

...retired at 56; that be 11 years ago... ...my how time flies!!!

...unlike Rev Lyin Kerrdawg who is getting stuff added, I have been gettin' parts removed... ...and God has been gracious to Ms. Mary Matilda and meownself and allowed us to travel most of these United States (read RV)

Retired at 59 with 40 years service, with the same City.

Earned an MBA, a CPPO a CPPB and CMM(1) along the way.