SASS Wire Forum

Retirement...

So, wondering ~ for those who've retired, at what age did you pull the plug? And for those who haven't, at what age do you intend to...? :)

Looks like I can hit the rocking chair at 65, at least so saith my retirement fund.

Should have things pretty well paid off in four years, at least the major expenses.

Might work another five, depends on finances.

Don't want to.

I am 52, in good health and work in a gray collar professional of manufacturing management. My dad worked until he was 77. My grandad worked fulltime until he was 78 and then six months a year until he was 83. I plan to work on, probably fulltime until 70 and then consulting six months a year until 75, if my health stays strong.

I may retire earlier if I see something to retire to, such as volunteer work. I have been a paycheck since I was 14 and cannot imagine not working. If Colt is going to offer new revolvers, I maybhave to work even longer.

I retired from my "career" job with the phone company @ 51. Then moved up to Vermont and the wife and I built a log home in the hills. Went back to work until last July @ age 62 and fully retired now. Will start collecting SS this month as I decided I was going to get back at least some of what I put in to SS B4 the Gov. takes that away. So pretty much enjoying being home. However I'm still not quite used to it---sometimes feel like I should be getting up for work. Doing some community service and getting thing done I couldn't do while working 12-15 hours a day! Actually seem to have more expendable income now then when working!

I retired at 58 (almost 17 years ago). I got cancer at 53 and the Drs said I had a 1 in 10 chance to live 5 years. The 5 years went by and my Dr said looks like I did it...whipped the big C. I went in to work and retired from my dream job and never looked back.

I have loved every minute of it. I was lucky to have been employed in a field that had great benefits and wonderful pay. We live very comfortably in a great area.

• Like 1

I retired at 55 years and 3 days. From the looks of things, I got out just in time. Now I spend my time camping, cowboy shooting and taking naps. Pensacola this Winter, Yellowstone next Summer and Key West next Winter. I've got to go qualify Thursday so I can keep my nationwide carry rights. Busy, busy, busy.

I was 48. Wife and I were going to do something else, but I told her we lived well below our means and would survive on our pension. Also told her why wait till we are 65 or so and not as in of good health and can really enjoy our life together. So we retired and got out of the big city (Kansas City, MO) and moved into the country. I'm 65 now and so glad we quit when we did. 16 years and going strong. Only mistake I did was taking on way too much volunteer work. One more year of that then I can do all the hunting, fishing, and shooting I can fill into a day.

I retired on my 67th birthday.

I, like many, had some trepidation about retiring. But, I found retirement suited me just fine. Haven't had a boring day since I retired.

For those wondering when or if they'll retire. You will know when it's time. Your whole person, (body, mind, and soul) will tell you it's time.

Love retirement.

• Like 1

Retired from my first career at the ripe old age of 49 years, 10 Months, and 3 days.

Plan on retiring from my second one as soon as my 401K will let me.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Howdy......

I retired in 2011 at 62. My wife retired in 2015 at 62.

She has a pottery studio in Spanish Village Art Center in Balboa Park (San Diego,Ca.)

and is down there most of the time. When she ain't there...she's takin' care of the grand kids.

I hang around and clean house......

Vern / Foothills Drifter... sometimes...........

Edited by Foothills Drifter

Retirement is a funny thing. I quit working for a paycheck at 64, and never looked back. Enjoyed every minute of it. My only

complaint, is that I didn't get enough fishing time in, with my friend and partner, Bruce. He passed last year shortly after his wife

died of Cancer, that same year.

My wife, on the other hand, either couldn't stand me being home all the time, or needed to scratch her work ethic some, retired three times before it took effect. She still volunteers at the Senior Center one day a week. Give me a chance to get out and do

some mischief while she is doing it. :)

Retired from law enforcement in 2002 at age 51 (27 years). Took a job with the Fed until medical issues forced me out in 2011. Social Security disability approved my application on the first go. My wife had to leave the workforce in the early 2000's and picked up her SS disability. The VA has me rated at 70%, so we do OK.

Apparently a topic that a lot of us are considering.

5 years ago, I was certain that I would work to 70 to maximize SS.

Now I'm 63, and seriously thinking about calling it quits at 66. This year is my 40th in the business, and the bloom is off the rose. Some mornings I have absolutely no desire to pick up the phone.

More and more, my mind is on things that are not related to work.

Time to move on, I think.

LL

Happy New Year Pards!

I began SS benefits last May at 65. I needed some added income now, and glad I did it. I've had 8 careers, but never worked in the system long enough to accumulate any real retirement nest-egg. Even after delivering the mail for 6 yrs, I took out what I earned the last year they let us, and bought the kids braces! Not even teaching school for 15 yrs, or working in beauty salons 20 yrs, it just didn't pay off to wait any longer, you need 30 yrs for many participation plans. I still tutor 6 mos a year for a nat'l company 8 yrs, and teach swim lessons the other 6 mos. for 55 yrs. self employed

Edited by Caliope Cupcake #13981

I worked 33.5 years in an engineering department of a big company. The company changed hands in about the middle of those years. We had an option of cashing in our pension, rolling it over into the new company's plan, or letting it ride. Most cashed in and paid off credit cards and bought more stuff. I let mine ride.

I took early retirement at 55 from this job because it was the earliest I could and carry on with medical plan. I cashed in pension from second company and put it in IRA.

Mary and I had already started our own business. She had already quit her day job and worked full time at our own business. I joined her in 2005.

In 2015, I turned 65 I convinced Mary we could do something besides work. It took her a while to come around to my way of thinking. We both signed up for Social Security. I cashed in my first pension and put it in IRA. It had grown to a tidy little sum.

We took up cowboy action shooting that's turned into a lot of work. Mary has evolved into the security and treasurer positions. And we both do a lot of maintenance and stage repair at the range.

We still live on the family farm so there is plenty to do.

After spending 48 yrs. in the auto industry, I retired on Dec.7,2016, 7 months shy of my 66th birthday. I'll collect Unemployment until then and then collect Social Security and my union pension. I don't miss the job, but I do miss some of the people.

At age 55 in 2004. Like BGQ said, body and mind said it was time. had 35.5 years in and qualified for 98% of my pension, plus insurance was paid. took it and ran. good thing too, company closed operations here in 2008, and a lot of people got screwed. Have held two part time jobs since, plus SS for the last 3 years. so far, so good, health has mostly held up :blush:

My job was phased out so I was able to retire in 1997 at the age of 53. Had a few part time jobs but fully retired now for the past few years. Couldn't have done it without my wife. She always said that she was the best retirement plan I could of had. She was right. But then, she always is.

Frazee

I plan to take terminal vacation and quit working on May 12 this year, then file for my state retirement on/after my anniversary date of July 9. Seven months, three days later, I turn 62 and will file for social security.

My dad died at 59. His brother, my uncle, died at 58, and it's startin' to spook me a bit, so I'm bailing as soon as I can. I expect I'll work part-time/seasonal winter jobs until such time as the Reaper comes calling, because I just can't stay warm outside in the winter, so I don't do northern winter stuff like snowmobiling, skiing, snow shoeing, etc. Or maybe find somewhere cheap in the southwest to park my trailer and live over the winter months.

I retired at 51 ( I'm now 70) from the phone company with 30 years and 1 week. That was in 98. I moved back to Montana in 2001 and found out every time someone stubs a toe on a sidewalk crack, the county ups the property taxes. So 4 years later I got a part time job working for Ace hardware.

I had paid off the house we bought here when the last of my relatives passed away and left of us nieces and nephews a nice inheritance. As soon as I got to 62, I pulled the plug. I was making more from SS than working part time there and with the pension from the phone company things worked out ok. One thing I found out from both retirements is I had more free time when I was working than I have now.

The company retired me at 60 after my last surgery. That was 3 years ago. I spent 41 years in the Electrical Line trade. USA ,Canada and the Caribbean. I have more titanium and plastic in me than most. 26 bones broke, 3 knee surgeries and then got total knee replacements (both knees the same day)2 heart attacks, 2 reconstruction surgeries the company said I needed to go home before I tore something else up. An old man told me that you would be more busy after retirement. Charlie is absolutely right I got a whole lot more done before they put me out to pasture. The first thing was learn to say NO :angry: when all your relatives and friends call to come and help them since your retired and have nothing to do. Yea Right. Kat( The Irish mafia) :wub: is retired also and she has only threatened to kill 2 times, She usually tells go to the Gun club or get in one of my 2 shops. Go ahead the water is fine.

Rev

Retired in July 2016 age 63 & 8 months. It has been good so far??? I could have retired at 56 but as I told people at work it is not killing me and I don't hate it yet. I still didn't hate it but there were some changes at work that made me think it was time to go.

Dustin

Retired in July 2016 age 63 & 8 months. It has been good so far??? I could have retired at 56 but as I told people at work it is not killing me and I don't hate it yet. I still didn't hate it but there were some changes at work that made me think it was time to go.

Dustin

My office job was literally killing me. Hypertension, overweight. I drive home each day and noticed my face was hurting. I finally figured out it was because I was locking my jaw in anger most of the day. Some people were never ment to work for someone else. I tried to reconcile they paid me to do what they say even if I knew it was wrong or stupid. I endured on to 55 because buying health insurance was not an option.

At 55 I could continue the company plan. They screwed me on that. It went from less than $200/month for full coverage for myself and wife to over $1000/momth at next renewal. I paid that amount for a year because they refused to allow me to change my coverage. At next renewal, I stripped my coverage so I paid a little less than $500/month for just myself and they paid nothing as the deductible was something like $50,000.