SASS Wire Forum

"Period Correct" - AHHHHH!

Period Correct and all the others are a waste of time. A shooter showing up in jeans, a plaid flannel shirt, and some form of non baseball hat is legal in our sport except maybe in two categories. There are only things excluded our attire in the rules, ie combat boots, athletic shoes, etc.

• Like 1

I remember back in 2001 having a discussion with a kid that was one of the "fast shooters" in SoCal. He was wearing rubber soled and lugged hiking boots. I asked him why he had the same boots on for the last 3 months and he clammed up and stared at me. All of a sudden a bunch of his "hangers on" stepped in to explain that if we make guys like him follow rules and the Spirit of the Game that no new blood will come into this sport.

Yeah, okay...irony....SASS and Clubs allow that C*** and...WOW, looky how this sport is booming. What are we up to in members....500,000? ONE MILLION? Nope....

Gettin' off the box now before I get my dander up....

Pat (what needs a smoke) Riot

I remember back in 2001 having a discussion with a kid that was one of the "fast shooters" in SoCal. He was wearing rubber soled and lugged hiking boots. I asked him why he had the same boots on for the last 3 months and he clammed up and stared at me. All of a sudden a bunch of his "hangers on" stepped in to explain that if we make guys like him follow rules and the Spirit of the Game that no new blood will come into this sport.

Yeah, okay...irony....SASS and Clubs allow that C*** and...WOW, looky how this sport is booming. What are we up to in members....500,000? ONE MILLION? Nope....

So? Were they athletic shoes or combat boots?

But rubber soled lugged hiking boots are legal in all but two categories unless they are made from some exotic material. Read the rules.

Edited by Gold Canyon Kid #43974

All your points are good Driftwood and in addition to the reprimands you suggested for offenders I think they should have to listen to you play the banjo for at least 15-minutes!

~:Wylie:~

Good point. I think some people are determined to be unhappy no matter what and spreading it like a disease is the only thing that makes them feel better...

JHQ -- I think those folks are called Liberals.

But rubber soled lugged hiking boots are legal in all but two categories unless they are made from some exotic material. Read the rules.

I know the rules. They were athletic hiking boots and they were being worn to give the guy an edge on running the stage...I guess that big "Nike" logo on the side of them might have given away the fact that they might not be allowed or within "the Spirit of the Game".

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 6, 2017 - Isulting.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 6, 2017 - Isulting.

I know the rules. They were athletic hiking boots and they were being worn to give the guy an edge on running the stage...I guess that big "Nike" logo on the side of them might have given away the fact that they might not be allowed or within "the Spirit of the Game".

It might have helped if you had said that part right away. Just saying the guy was wearing hiking boots with lug soles sounds like you're one of the many that don't fully understand the rules. That or the fact that a nike symbol magically appears when called on it sounds like you're changing your story. It just looks bad either way.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 6, 2017 - Reply to hidden post.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 6, 2017 - Reply to hidden post.

It might have helped if you had said that part right away. Just saying the guy was wearing hiking boots with lug soles sounds like you're one of the many that don't fully understand the rules. That or the fact that a nike symbol magically appears when called on it sounds like you're changing your story. It just looks bad either way.

Redwood Kid,

Why does it matter to you? Why should I care what you think "looks bad"? I am not trying to start a fight here but it almost looks like you are calling me a liar. SO, on that note I will leave it just where it is now.

You have a good day,

Pat Riot

That does not make all hiking boots with lug soles illegal. If the hiking boost are made from leather I have no issue with them. Byu the way lug soles are legal in all categories but 2. Many many shooters use them to keep from falling on their butts. Many folks wear clothing, shoes, etc, to give them an edge running a stage. Some folks do the opposite slowing them selves down with a ton of unused ammo on their belt, wear winter clothing in the summer, extremely large hats, wear tall boots with spurs and high heels, when not needed for their category, etc.

That does not make all hiking boots with lug soles illegal. If the hiking boost are made from leather I have no issue with them. Byu the way lug soles are legal in all categories but 2. Many many shooters use them to keep from falling on their butts. Many folks wear clothing, shoes, etc, to give them an edge running a stage. Some folks do the opposite slowing them selves down with a ton of unused ammo on their belt, wear winter clothing in the summer, extremely large hats, wear tall boots with spurs and high heels, when not needed for their category, etc.

I don't disagree with you.

I've been wondering about this for a while. Can you explain how "lug soles" fit into the following, which is from the first paragraph in Clothing and Accoutrements in the SHB.

"Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

The first reference I've found about lug soles is for mountaineering shoes in the 1930s.

I've been wondering about this for a while. Can you explain how "lug soles" fit into the following, which is from the first paragraph in Clothing and Accoutrements in the SHB.

"Cowboy Action Shooting is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

The first reference I've found about lug soles is for mountaineering shoes in the 1930s.

You are siting an intro which is not a rule and carries no penalty.....

Next shooter.

They are putting pictures on the sole of boots now.

CLEARLY visible when ever you take a step.

I wonder what the ruling will be on this? :)

They are putting pictures on the sole of boots now.

CLEARLY visible when ever you take a step.

I wonder what the ruling will be on this? :)

If it's your picture MDQ.

• Like 2

Conestoga,

Please understand, my only point was that "period correct" has valid meaning for people trying to represent historical events, but not in a game where many (if not most of us) are reliving our childhoods with guns that actually go bang. I don't know anything about NCOWS and I want no part of "who's more authentic" type of politics. I was a reenactor for many years and I got burned out on those kinds of discussions (OK, that and sleeping on the hard ground). I'm here to have fun. ;)

Maybe some day we'll meet and I'll buy ya one! :)

Sir, we do understand each other! There IS room in SASS for correct and authentic, as well as close enough for a great time without lookin' all "Urban Cowboy" like. I , personally, am well past attempting to lug a saddle over one shoulder, and the thought of trying to do this without a gun cart is, well, enough to have this older guy who could use Lasic Surgery considering just plinking.

Agree that when it's too much like a job, it's too much work...unless someone gets into that!

If we were to meet, I would happily reciprocate your courtesy!

• Like 1

"Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

At one of the early Conventions in Vegas, Tex pushed for a rule eliminating lugged sole footwear. It failed by a wide margin as many clubs believed them necessary as a safety issue.

I wish now that I would have never brought up the subject of boots...I should have known better... :blink:

Ya know, "back in the day", people here on the Wire discussed what was "period correct" and what was "historically plausible" versus what was "historically accurate". Some drew a line in the sand and stuck by what they considered "correct, period"! Now people that were "reenactors" would chime in with their opinions on what was "of the era" and others would sight the rules regarding what was proper for one's "costume". Some people would argue that "costume" was a word for "Halloween clothes" but "I could care less" what the "period correct" clothes were called..."back in the day"....during that time...Anyway, "it is what it is" folks. We could all make "guesstimates" or make "wild ---ed guesses" about what was "of the era", but the fact is "winter is getting long" and it ain't over for a while. So getting spun up over what was "historically accurate" "back in the day" just leads to fussin' and feuding and bad feelings. I know I am guilty of a little pot stirring...heck, "back in the day" I can remember arguing over what was "period correct" only to find later on that my "guesstimates" were way off and weren't "historically plausible" but I stuck to my Rugers and it caused some bad blood. We are all in this for the fun so let's not allow the fun to be tainted by "serious wild ___ed guesses" about was was "historically plausible"..."Just sayin'... ;):P:D:lol:

• Like 2

Exactly. Might also need to create a few new categories to make everyone feel comfortable about their proper use of terms and phrases...

How about we deliver the start line in period correct English?

Would HBO's Deadwood series' use of profanity laced Victorian grammar be a SDQ or just a SoG penalty?

I can hear Al SWEARengen now..."And who might be the blankety blank blank blanking gentleman gallivanting gaily around my thoroughfare wearing lugged soled footwear, a hammer loop on his pants and shell loops over his shell loops? What is the sum and substance of this immoralism, dare I query"?

:unsure:

Edited by Dantankerous

I wish now that I would have never brought up the subject of boots...I should have known better... :blink:

Ya know, "back in the day", people here on the Wire discussed what was "period correct" and what was "historically plausible" versus what was "historically accurate". Some drew a line in the sand and stuck by what they considered "correct, period"! Now people that were "reenactors" would chime in with their opinions on what was "of the era" and others would sight the rules regarding what was proper for one's "costume". Some people would argue that "costume" was a word for "Halloween clothes" but "I could care less" what the "period correct" clothes were called..."back in the day"....during that time...Anyway, "it is what it is" folks. We could all make "guesstimates" or make "wild ---ed guesses" about what was "of the era", but the fact is "winter is getting long" and it ain't over for a while. So getting spun up over what was "historically accurate" "back in the day" just leads to fussin' and feuding and bad feelings. I know I am guilty of a little pot stirring...heck, "back in the day" I can remember arguing over what was "period correct" only to find later on that my "guesstimates" were way off and weren't "historically plausible" but I stuck to my Rugers and it caused some bad blood. We are all in this for the fun so let's not allow the fun to be tainted by "serious wild ___ed guesses" about was was "historically plausible"..."Just sayin'... ;):P:D:lol:

I remember a long time ago a long Wire discussion on whether a very light, about 10 inch leather hunting boot with a soft rubber sole was legal. It had about a dozen pages of "is" and "is not" legal posts. The leather was very light, maybe kangaroo. A few weeks later wearing that boot a US fellow won EOT. I am certain that boot was much more responsible for the win than the thousands of hours of practice. From the earlier discussion, one could have drawn that conclusion, but to my knowledge the boot issue never came up during or after EOT. Maybe no one ever looked down. Edited by Gold Canyon Kid #43974

On the period correct scale, where do Wranglers and other non decorated today's off the shelf jeans fit? Well that should keep this thread running a few more days.

With the guys, preferable they fit not too tight because too tight ain't right.

Howdy

I am proposing a new rule to be voted on at the next Territorial Governors meeting.

The use of the term 'Period Correct' will be banned. Sounds too much like Politically Correct. Try using an alternative term such as Historically Accurate.

Shooters who are heard to use the term on a stage will have thirty seconds added to their time.

Shooters who use it a second time will be ejected from the match. Ejected so that they land butt first on a Saguaro cactus.

Well, looks like I (and a few others that I can think of) have something to look forward to it the Spring.

Starting every stage with "Back in the day, I was Period Correct!"

:P

I remember going to a mountain man weekend and a guy had sewn a zipper into his leather pants.

His excuse was "If they'd a had 'em, they'd a used 'em! sic 1972.

Same argument been goin' on for decades.

Any jeans, long sleeve shirt, work boots make the grade in SASS's world.

Edited by Castalia,SASS#18915

The 1997 SASS rule book has no rules for boots other than in the outlawed section.

Outlawed: Tennis, running, jogging, or aerobics shoes ( Indian moccasins work well for relaxing after a long day in boots.)

2016 rule book:

Classic cowboy/ girl: Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. ―NO Lug‖) soles. Moccasins are not allowed.

"B" western: Boots are required and must be of traditional design and embellished with fancy stitching, multi-color fancy design, conchos or spots. Soles must be non-grip enhancing (i.e., ―NO Lug‖) soles. Lace up boots and moccasins are not allowed.

Outlawed: All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed.

Period Correct doesn't bother me as much as "costumes" used to. my reply was "clowns wear costumes,,, we wear outfits",,,now,, don't care either way. Havin' to much fun shootin' to worry about it. Life's to short.

Lighten and have fun,

Isom

• Like 1

A great pictorial book on cowboy dress in the Montana area circa 1885 to early 1900s is titled 'I See By Your Outfit'.

Notice it is not, 'I See By Your Costume'.

Hmmm.

:)