SASS Wire Forum

"Period Correct" - AHHHHH!

If we are talking about shooting a SASS Sanctioned shoot .

I can see everyone dressing in Proper attire !

If its a local weekend club shoot . ( practice for most Cowboys and Cowgals )

Then I dont really think its a big deal ,

to be a little relaxed on the Period Correctness .

It is what it is .

Shooting guns , Playing Cowboy , Enjoying friends .

People get to hung up on the Meaningless little stuff .

And let it ruin there day or game .

Just take a deep breath and enjoy the fun .

And go back to your Childhood for a moment of fun .

Just saying ! LOL

• Like 1

I was driving through Wells Maine yesterday. Saw a antique store on Rt 1. Sign said "PERIOD ANTIQUES".

Turned to my wife and asked her, What period? Revolutionary-Civil war or just Yesterday?

It is what it is .

Just saying ! LOL

As long as proper attire is as defined in the rule handbooks for proper attire, we agree, not some one's personal interpretation of period correctness.

• Like 1

There is a cowboy action organization which is a spin-off of SASS. They demand everything be "period correct," from costuming to guns and everything in between. I even heard gun carts were prohibited at one time, but I think that went away. Still, no Rugers or modern cowboy clothing.

It is what it is .

Just saying ! LOL

SASS is supposed to be EITHER historical reenactment *OR* "Saturday at the matinee." There is NO requirement for historical accuracy / period correctness / whatever term-de-jour you choose.

There is a cowboy action organization which is a spin-off of SASS. They demand everything be "period correct," from costuming to guns and everything in between. I even heard gun carts were prohibited at one time, but I think that went away. Still, no Rugers or modern cowboy clothing.

You are thinking of the National Congress of Old West Shootists. (NCOWS)

Not as demanding of historical accuracy as you might think although they do have The Originals Class specifically for those who place special emphasis on historical accuracy including camping at an event.

NCOWS allows both original and new Ruger Vaqueros but not Ruger Bisleys. (Approved Firearms list) They do not allow short stroke modifications to rifles or pistols. NCOWS Unapproved list. Gun carts are allowed but they should be constructed of historically accurate materials including the wheels.

NCOWS places more emphasis on accuracy than how fast you can empty your firearm. No in your face targets and misses are worth 10 seconds. By current SASS standards the targets are a lot further away and are typically smaller.

If a person wants historical accuracy then join NCOWS. If a person wants to resemble the old west that hollyweird introduced a vast majority of us to then join SASS.

NCOWS HISTORY

The National Congress of Old West Shootists was founded in Iowa in 1994 by a group of dedicated western action shooters who had a background in muzzleloading, buckskinning, historical reenacting, and many other of the modern shooting sports. To this end we determined that our new organization would be different from existing organizations in a number of ways: we would insist on historical authenticity in all of our activities, we would not require that our members assume an "alias" (although they may if they wish), and we would be a democratically-structured organization, run by the entire membership.

Since its founding NCOWS has grown slowly but steadily, gradually gaining recognition from the shooting fraternity as a viable and significant organization. Early on there was some misunderstanding on the part of some members at least of The Single Action Shooting Society (SASS ) who believed that NCOWS had been founded in opposition to SASS . NCOWS' original aim was to operate parallel to SASS, doing what we could to promote the growth and development of cowboy/western action shooting which, after all, had been invented by SASS . Although we present NCOWS as an alternative organization to those who desire a greater level of historical authenticity and member involvement in governance than SASS provides, we encourage all of our members to support SASS as well as every other shooting organization.

Since its inception NCOWS has been a Charter organization of the National Rifle Association, and strongly recommends that every NCOWS member also be a member of the NRA. Our liability insurance is provided through the NRA.

Edited by Sedalia Dave