But that was before PC was BS .

Now PC just got Trumped !

So.

With that being said.

It is what it is .

(( just saying ))

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

It is what it is .

Another of my least favorite phrases, but I guess I should quit while I'm ahead.

"I could care less"

I think the first time I ever heard that phrase was back in High School in the mid 1960s.

That one doesn't bother me so much.

What context is there when somebody asks 'What kind of revolvers did they shoot back in the day'?

Lazy, idjit what can't be bothered to do the slightest research asks, "What kind of revolvers did they shoot back in the day"?

Self-sufficient realist that reads history books and researches old books and catalogs, and others consider an expert, answers, "Which (insert favored Naval expletive here) day do you mean; yesterday, the day before yesterday, last week, last month, Last year, last decade, last century, or the century before that?"

That context. :o:P:D

I think the first time I ever heard that phrase was back in High School in the mid 1960s.

That one doesn't bother me so much.

I don't know why; maybe I'm wrapped a little too tight, but every time I hear someone say that I think to myself, "So you COULD care less?" :)

"Which (insert favored Naval expletive here) day do you mean; yesterday, the day before yesterday, last week, last month, Last year, last decade, last century, or the century before that?"

I like that.

It annoys me when people assume the word costume relates only to Halloween clothes.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=costume

et·y·mol·o·gy
ˌedəˈmäləjē/
noun
noun: etymology
  1. the study of the origin of words and the way in which their meanings have changed throughout history.
    • the origin of a word and the historical development of its meaning.
      plural noun: etymologies
costume (n.) dictionary.gif 1715, "style of dress," an art term, from French costume (17c.), from Italian costume "fashion, habit," from Latin consuetudinem (nominative consuetudo) "custom, habit, usage." Essentially the same word as custom but arriving by a different etymology. From "customary clothes of the particular period in which the scene is laid," meaning broadened by 1818 to "any defined mode of dress." Costume jewelry is first attested 1933.

This thread has become highly entertaining. :)

Well, I always thought back in the day was defined by the context of the conversation it is used in. For example, when talking about Cowboy Stuff, back in the day would refer to the time frame of 1860 to 1899.

But, since it grates on Driftwood, and since I consider him a friend, I shall refrain from using it. :)

After all, I would not wish to intentionally cause stress to a friend, irregardless of what my intent in the matter actually was. Irritating a friend is something I ain't gonna do. It's just something I want no part of. Is that alright with everybody?

Howdy

I am proposing a new rule to be voted on at the next Territorial Governors meeting.

The use of the term 'Period Correct' will be banned. Sounds too much like Politically Correct. Try using an alternative term such as Historically Accurate.

Shooters who are heard to use the term on a stage will have thirty seconds added to their time.

Shooters who use it a second time will be ejected from the match. Ejected so that they land butt first on a Saguaro cactus.

Posters who use of the term on the SASS Wire will be severely reprimanded.

Ocotillo is a better choice. Other than that I find nothing wrong with your proposal.

OK, it's January and I may be suffering from cabin fever a little bit.

But I have always hated that term, and just read it one too many times.

Wild-A#% Guess

Or maybe "wager a guess"

Or maybe "wager a guess"

LOL! Yes, that is the PC answer!

Kid, look here, second definition, and all will become clear. ;)http://www.acronymfinder.com/WAG.html

And a "SWAG" is a Serious WAG! Seriously, it was a term in use in the Marine Corps when I joined 41 years ago and we still use it today. :P

If we are creating a list let's add:

Rule Nazi

Costume Police

SASS is Only Entertainment

Just Saying

If I never hear any of those again it will be to soon.

If we are creating a list let's add:

Rule Nazi

Costume Police

SASS is Only Entertainment

Just Saying

If I never hear any of those again it will be to soon.

Why would anyone compete in a costume category if they're going to complain about being held to the rules?

Why would anyone compete in a costume category if they're going to complain about being held to the rule

Why would someone call someone else a rule nazi for enforcing the rules? Some people at matches large and small complain about everything.

Why would someone call someone else a rule nazi for enforcing the rules? Some people at matches large and small complain about everything.

Good point. I think some people are determined to be unhappy no matter what and spreading it like a disease is the only thing that makes them feel better...

Howdy- JUST my two cents worth! ( to evade from the dreaded "Jus'Sayin", )

Period Correct, and /or Historically Accurate automatically means NO Rugers, regardless of fixed or adjustable sights , and, if you really want to get into it, NO Italian nor Asian copies of anything, regardless of quality or cost ( As I said, depending on how Historically Accurate you want to insist upon; noting that, at a certain point of allowing substitutions, you no longer have Historic Accuracy ). AND, How about NO GUN CARTS as they were unknown to have been used , unless you want to use a buckboard or Conestoga wagon ( Must be horse or mule or burro or donkey drawn, period correct sizing ) , NO folding chairs unless it can be proven to be a period design made from like materials . It can go on along these lines. OH Yes- NO B-Western Class, UNLESS you all wish to use same as a catch all class for folks all having equipment that would be otherwise banned outright. Although there is no NCOWS club in Arizona ( a fact that I found surprising when I moved here, and got to looking them up ) they are the Professors and Deans of Historically Accurate , and they do allow fine Reproduction arms. Costuming is strict. No gun cart- you brought it to use, you carry it. Period correct. Not for the faint of heart, clear dedication to historic accuracy.

NOT trying to put down the NCOWS organization in any way, I just need to be clear on that. They ARE truly dedicated to their sport and how it is carried out. I'm just pointing out some of how they differ from SASS.

I'm with JohnHenryQuick on this one.

Edited by Conestoga Smith, SASS #18219

Costume sounds pretty Halloween...

I like trick or treating with a gun............ya gets more loot!!!

Howdy- JUST my two cents worth! ( to evade from the dreaded "Jus'Sayin", )

Period Correct, and /or Historically Accurate automatically means NO Rugers, regardless of fixed or adjustable sights , and, if you really want to get into it, NO Italian nor Asian copies of anything, regardless of quality or cost ( As I said, depending on how Historically Accurate you want to insist upon; noting that, at a certain point of allowing substitutions, you no longer have Historic Accuracy ). AND, How about NO GUN CARTS as they were unknown to have been used , unless you want to use a buckboard or Conestoga wagon ( Must be horse or mule or burro or donkey drawn, period correct sizing ) , NO folding chairs unless it can be proven to be a period design made from like materials . It can go on along these lines. OH Yes- NO B-Western Class, UNLESS you all wish to use same as a catch all class for folks all having equipment that would be otherwise banned outright. Although there is no NCOWS club in Arizona ( a fact that I found surprising when I moved here, and got to looking them up ) they are the Professors and Deans of Historically Accurate , and they do allow fine Reproduction arms. Costuming is strict. No gun cart- you brought it to use, you carry it. Period correct. Not for the faint of heart, clear dedication to historic accuracy.

NOT trying to put down the NCOWS organization in any way, I just need to be clear on that. They ARE truly dedicated to their sport and how it is carried out. I'm just pointing out some of how they differ from SASS.

I'm with JohnHenryQuick on this one.

Conestoga,

Please understand, my only point was that "period correct" has valid meaning for people trying to represent historical events, but not in a game where many (if not most of us) are reliving our childhoods with guns that actually go bang. I don't know anything about NCOWS and I want no part of "who's more authentic" type of politics. I was a reenactor for many years and I got burned out on those kinds of discussions (OK, that and sleeping on the hard ground). I'm here to have fun. ;)

Maybe some day we'll meet and I'll buy ya one! :)

Edited by JohnHenryQuick
  • Like 1

I much prefer WAG to guesstimate.

I'm partial to SWAG than to either of the above. It has two meanings:

1- Scientific Wild-Azzed Guess = where a calculator might be involved, or

2- Silly Wild-Azzed Guess = where no such accruements are needed. :D:D