SASS Wire Forum

"Period Correct" - AHHHHH!

Howdy

I am proposing a new rule to be voted on at the next Territorial Governors meeting.

The use of the term 'Period Correct' will be banned. Sounds too much like Politically Correct. Try using an alternative term such as Historically Accurate.

Shooters who are heard to use the term on a stage will have thirty seconds added to their time.

Shooters who use it a second time will be ejected from the match. Ejected so that they land butt first on a Saguaro cactus.

Posters who use of the term on the SASS Wire will be severely reprimanded.

OK, it's January and I may be suffering from cabin fever a little bit.

But I have always hated that term, and just read it one too many times.

• Like 2

Howdy

I am proposing a new rule to be voted on at the next Territorial Governors meeting.

The use of the term 'Period Correct' will be banned. Sounds too much like Politically Correct. Try using an alternative term such as Historically Accurate.

Shooters who are heard to use the term on a stage will have thirty seconds added to their time.

Shooters who use it a second time will be ejected from the match. Ejected so that they land butt first on a Saguaro cactus.

Posters who use of the term on the SASS Wire will be severely reprimanded.

OK, it's January and I may be suffering from cabin fever a little bit.

But I have always hated that term, and just read it one too many times.

Wait just a second, isn't "period correct" a phrase rather than a term?

• Like 1

The phrase period correct doesn't bother me at all, but for you Driftwood, I could refrain from using it on the wire. As a high school history teacher for 41 years, I would be okay with historically accurate.

Now if I hear "politically correct" one more time, I'm going to vomit.

How about comfortable and reasonably / somewhat historically accurate.

• Like 1

More rules ?

That would be Period Correct for todays Culture !

• Like 1

If we're really going for period correct shouldn't at least half of us get cholera, TB, Typhus or Scarlet fever too?

• Like 1

If we're really going for period correct shouldn't at least half of us get cholera, TB, Typhus or Scarlet fever too?

You can keep your period correctness. I don't want no part of that.

All you're doing by changing the terminology is being politically correct.

:-)

;-)

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

Uhhh, Gabby, is ok if I use the phrase "correct for the period?" One less syllable than historically accurate... ;) On the other hand, you should either put down the adult beverage, step away from the keyboard; or... have a brew bro, chill out! :D

The term should be(for us) "Early Hollywood Correct".

• Like 1

I have been in SASS for a while and I left for a while but I will never forget getting a little bit of a well meaning critique by a guy when I first started because my Win. 94 and Vaqueros weren't "period correct" because he asked me what Period I was trying to portray and I said "Not sure, 1880's, I guess". I had to laugh because as he was talking to me he was getting a soda from his cooler that was sitting in his rubber tired gun cart. :D I pointed that out to him and he got a little embarrassed and we both had a laugh about it. :lol:

Well, with some of the steampuk stuff that I have seen, and some other non cowboy stuff, I think the phrase should be "Histericly accurate"

The horse I rode is 3/4 ford.

Target acquisition identification persons- are you prepared to perform you duties? Does the projectile control and launch operator understand the suggestions/directives for this course of fire? Wait for the acoustacly damaging tone and commence at the appropriate instant. Beep

Or we could just shoot......and look cowboyish

Imis

How my Grandad done It ...

How I do It ....

Brace of Open-Tops in .44 ,,, 1866 in .38 WCF. and a hammered 16 ga. Shotgun ...

May Cabin fever take the day ...

Jabez Cowboy

I always like the phrase, "of the era" to refer to things that existed back in the day, and that are still made today. You know, Colts, Winchesters and many other things that are, and are not, legal for use in our game.

As far as things that were not made back in the day, but are used in our game, I prefer the phrase "evocative of the era." You know, things like the Ruger, Big Boy and other things that did not exist prior to 1900 but are made in the spirit and style of things that were. Most of which are legal for our game, but there are also a few that are not.

I don't see anything wrong with the term "Period Correct". We use it all the time in Civil War and Cowboy reenacting. In my opinion it is better than using the word "Costume".

Costume sounds pretty Halloween...

"Period Correct" is a phrase with meaning for reenactors who are trying to portray historical events as accurately as possible for the public. However, it seems to me that it has little use in a fantasy game like CAS.

Except, however, when I tell people that my wooden gun cart is period correct! :D

I always like the phrase, "of the era" to refer to things that existed back in the day, and that are still made today. You know, Colts, Winchesters and many other things that are, and are not, legal for use in our game.

Which brings me to the next term, or phrase on my hit list.

Back in the day.

Exactly when is that supposed to mean? Last week? 1960? 1945? 1880? 1776?

Completely meaningless. It bugs me every time I see it.

I wish folks would specify exactly what they mean, instead of using a meaningless phrase like Back In The Day.

Which brings me to the next term, or phrase on my hit list.

Back in the day.

Exactly when is that supposed to mean? Last week? 1960? 1945? 1880? 1776?

Completely meaningless. It bugs me every time I see it.

I wish folks would specify exactly what they mean, instead of using a meaningless phrase like Back In The Day.

It's contextually defined.

What context is there when somebody asks 'What kind of revolvers did they shoot back in the day'?