SASS Wire Forum

New six gun advice

Dark Horse Charlie

Hello, I am starting to look around for a new Single action and was looking for some forum input. I currently shoot with 2 USFAs and love them but one of them is a 3 1/2 inch sheriffs model. I would like to get my second to match my primary in a 5 1/2 inch stainless. Trying to find another USFA is gotten pretty crazy so from my research I think i narrowed it down to the Taylors Runnin Iron or the Cimmaron Evil Roy. Any thoughts? I know the Rugers are the "best" on the market but I like the clones.

Thanks!

I too shoot usfa saas but I also own ruger bisleys and uberti s&ws. I doubt you'll find a import that will feel as good as your usfa. I would keep looking since its not a urgent need.

A Colt copy will likely be the next-best when compared to your USFA. Pietta or Uberti. I would advise away from the short stroked guns since they will be too different from what you have. A tuned Smokewagon might be a good option.

Hello, I am starting to look around for a new Single action and was looking for some forum input. I currently shoot with 2 USFAs and love them but one of them is a 3 1/2 inch sheriffs model. I would like to get my second to match my primary in a 5 1/2 inch stainless. Trying to find another USFA is gotten pretty crazy so from my research I think i narrowed it down to the Taylors Runnin Iron or the Cimmaron Evil Roy. Any thoughts? I know the Rugers are the "best" on the market but I like the clones.

Thanks!

Rebarrel the 3 1/2....

• Like 1

Depending on how you plan to shot, the 3.5" would work well in a cross draw holster. Matched pairs of guns are nice but lots of folks shoot an odd set. If I had two USFA, I'd shoot'm.

I do shoot the shorty cross draw now and I am not about to give up on my USFAs. I'm just looking for a little variety and would love the matched set!

There is a gunsmith down in SW Ga towards Lagrange/Columbus I heard that rebarrels/cuts down barrels for mounted shooters and I heard at a reasonable cost. I heard he has takeoff barrels. I will see if I can get his number, though, I am certain there may be other gunsmiths that will do the job.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 1

I do shoot the shorty cross draw now and I am not about to give up on my USFAs. I'm just looking for a little variety and would love the matched set!

IMG_20130923_083521_zpsc3f7a0aa.jpg

Here are my Cattleman 45 Colts. They are as matched as they come down to matching serial numbers with added L and R suffix. This is an early picture. I later installed Runnin' Irons hammers.

• Like 1

Cimarron model P is a mighty fine Colt clone .

• Like 1

i think we all struggle with this at one time or another - looking for perfect , its traditional , its accurate , its faster , in the end we shoot what we like i hope , im inclined to a 5 1/2" these days but i love the look and feel of the 4 3/4" , ive shot a 3 1/2" for a real short time without much joy , that cost me a lot of value at trade in - should have kept one of the three for nothing more than nostalgia purposes , ive often thought that 7" like matt dillon drew was a nice looking traditional revolver ,

in the end its what fills your hand in comfort , its all about the "spirit" of the game - enjoy what you shoot

• Like 1

Rugers are built like a tank... but I sold my set because I found I shot my Ubertis more.

I have a set of open tops and a set made by Evil Roy. I really like shooting both sets. I also prefer the look of longer barrels! Here are mine... with the holsters I made for each set. I shoot cross draw.

c4726709fda1211871262d1e8145af6a_zpsueja
6c8d0485ce819113e3ec7fa6bd2f0e0e_zpsk9sa
  • Like 1

I believe both of the revolvers are Uberti 1873s with different features. Pretty sure the Runnin' Irons all have low wide hammers which would not match your USFA's hammer.

• Like 1

Hey guys! I am trying to post a pic of my duo but I can't seem to find a way to attached a jpg and if I cut and paste it in the body I get an error message? How do i post a pic?

Hey Dark Horse! There isn't a way to add photos to the wire directly. You need to post them through an online photo sharing website. I use Photobucket but there are many others. Some people don't like Photobucket and for sure they are getting a bit harder to get along with due to more and more stuff they are putting on their web page.

Hey Dark Horse! There isn't a way to add photos to the wire directly. You need to post them through an online photo sharing website. I use Photobucket but there are many others. Some people don't like Photobucket and for sure they are getting a bit harder to get along with due to more and more stuff they are putting on their web page.

Thanks Johnny, I'll have to try and figure that out. I like your open tops! I do have a set of Navy conversion but I haven't used them in a shoot yet.

Have you considered replacing the 3.5 inch barrel on your USFA with a 5.5 inch barrel? Then you would have a matched pair. with less expense than buying another pair of revolvers

Have you considered replacing the 3.5 inch barrel on your USFA with a 5.5 inch barrel? Then you would have a matched pair. with less expense than buying another pair of revolvers

Hey Bob, that suggestion has come up but I really do not want to mess with the lil guy. Really Looking for another piece to add to the family, just looking for a good but affordable addition and seeing what everyone else uses.

Thanks

Rugers are built like a tank... but I sold my set because I found I shot my Ubertis more.

I have a set of open tops and a set made by Evil Roy. I really like shooting both sets. I also prefer the look of longer barrels! Here are mine... with the holsters I made for each set. I shoot cross draw.

c4726709fda1211871262d1e8145af6a_zpsueja

6c8d0485ce819113e3ec7fa6bd2f0e0e_zpsk9sa

Them open tops .

Are SEXY Pistols !

I just ordered a pair of 44 specials with 7 1/2" barrels .

I cant wait :-)

Them open tops .

Are SEXY Pistols !

I just ordered a pair of 44 specials with 7 1/2" barrels .

I cant wait :-)

Rooster, you will love them! To me they feel great and point naturally. Mine are .45 Colt. I did smooth them up a bit and I stripped the finish that Uberti put on from the grips and put some hand rubbed oil on. I like it.

• Like 1

Good lookin' leather JD.

Howdy Charlie,

I shoot the Evil Roy's in stainless--4 3/4" barrel. In fact, my profile pic shows one in hand and one on the hip. I like them a lot--they're smooth and very well balanced. I think they can be a little hard to find these days, especially in 5 1/2" barrel. I also don't think they are quite as accurate as my Uberti Cattlemen in 7 1/2" (maybe it's just me, or maybe the longer barrels do make a difference). But, I'd recommend them if you can find them. I've also got a pair of USFA''s in 7 1/2" which feel wonderful in the hand and are as smooth as silk. Unfortunately, I've never live fired them, because shortly after I got them, they went to a custom grip maker for new grips. Don't have them back yet, but can hardly wait. Based on my experience with them, I think I can safely say that you don't need anyone else telling you what a great gun they are!

O.K.

Howdy Charlie,

I shoot the Evil Roy's in stainless--4 3/4" barrel. In fact, my profile pic shows one in hand and one on the hip. I like them a lot--they're smooth and very well balanced. I think they can be a little hard to find these days, especially in 5 1/2" barrel. I also don't think they are quite as accurate as my Uberti Cattlemen in 7 1/2" (maybe it's just me, or maybe the longer barrels do make a difference). But, I'd recommend them if you can find them. I've also got a pair of USFA''s in 7 1/2" which feel wonderful in the hand and are as smooth as silk. Unfortunately, I've never live fired them, because shortly after I got them, they went to a custom grip maker for new grips. Don't have them back yet, but can hardly wait. Based on my experience with them, I think I can safely say that you don't need anyone else telling you what a great gun they are!

O.K.

Hey OK, thanks for the info! You'll love the USFAs. I have custom stag grips on both of mine and they are great shooters! I am a fan of the 5 1/2s so I will have to see what I can find.

So most of what I am seeing on Colt clones all have the transverse cylinder pin. My USFAs are black powder frames with the set screw which I like better, Just looks cleaner!

Both Uberti and Pietta pistolas are available with black powder frame. I have two and agree they look cleaner. The competition-ready guns all do have the transverse latch.

edit; Oh yeah, the stainless Italian guns are not made with the BP frame, only the blue/cc guns.

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489
  • Like 1

Both Uberti and Pietta pistolas are available with black powder frame. I have two and agree they look cleaner. The competition-ready guns all do have the transverse latch.

edit; Oh yeah, the stainless Italian guns are not made with the BP frame, only the blue/cc guns.

Thanks for the knowledge ... might have to rethink my strategy here! Guess I can always have one nickel plated, or hold out for another USFA. or Just go with the blued Casehardened combo like the lil guy is now!

Da top gun is a right fine looker ....

Don't really care fer thems that shine in my eyes ....

Nice Grips ...

Jabez Cowboy