SASS Wire Forum

New to SASS and need costume

Shakey O'fart

New SASS member #105098 Shakey O'fart and putting together my costume. I have been to a number of online sites and one retail store but still looking. My wife and I will be in Los Angeles and Las Vegas and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on stores to visit. We are currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Just to start, plain jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a cowboy hat that feels good and looks good on you (not required, but, you know...) and comfortable boots without lugged soles, and you are good to go. You can decide to go fancy at any time.

Maybe all in brown to honor your alias. :D

• Like 1

You are only limited by your imagination......Much you probably already have, if not many find great stuff at a Goodwill type store.....shirts for less than .25 cents etc....

Bugler

• Like 1

If you're located in the bay area, check out golden gate western wear in Richmond. They have a ton of boots and hats, plus they'll do custom hats if you can't find what you want. They also have a pretty good selection of old west clothing as well as more modern wear tonfit your needs. Where will you be shooting? Do you have all the gunsyou need? I shoot at all of the clubs within an hours drive so I can meet you at one of them if you need guns. I've got several sets of backups of various kinds to find what you like. Welcome to the best shooting game there is.

Howdy

Gotta ask. Did the folks at SASS OK that alias? If they did, things have loosened up a bit from when I joined. Usta not be able to get away with stuff like that.

For costume, you don't need to spend a fortune. This is just fine:

"Just to start, plain jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a cowboy hat that feels good and looks good on you (not required, but, you know...) and comfortable boots without lugged soles, and you are good to go. You can decide to go fancy at any time."

Lots and lots of stuff you can buy online.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store

https://www.gentlemansemporium.com/wah-maker.php

Suggest you buy hats and boots in person so you get the fit right.

• Like 1

Here's an article by Abilene on Costuming without breaking the bank

--Dawg

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/Duds.htm

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Wild West Mercantile. Go to their site. Sign up for their Email list. They will send you notice of all their sales and even when they offer free shipping.

I was looking to put together an evening/dress banquet outfit and emailed them some questions. They answered and I bought what they suggested. I ended up winning a local regional costume contest.

Start with just a few affordable items from the local Salvation Army and only buy something "store bought" as you get further in to the game.

• Like 1

Don't hurry. Take your time and go to a lot of matches and get some ideas. If you were in the Marines or in

one of the lesser services, you could get a period military or naval uniform. Let your imagination go wild.

Your spouse will probably get a shooting costume and another fancy one for festivities. A lot of pards enjoy

B Western!!!

• Like 1

If you don't have the time to shop or money is an issue, jeans, a long sleeve shirt, lace up shoes or boots and a straw cowboy hat will do fine. There isn't any club around here that wouldn't welcome you with that. The hat's not required, but it will save you from doing the "hot brass dance."

I do some shooting with suit pants and vests. They came from various Salvation Army shops, Goodwill, etc. I looked for 3 piece suits and gave them the suit coat back. Usually the cost is under $20. Not necessary, but the belt loops were removed and I put bachelor buttons on them so I could use suspenders. Bachelor buttons are easy to install, you hammer them on. Suspenders can be bought in the same stores for about $1 apiece. If you see a collared shirt you like, they are easy to convert to collarless by stripping the winged part of the collar off.

Occasionally, you can find hats and boots, but they are rare at the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores. However, they are occasionally available in thrift stores and antique shops. I think they drift into antiques shops with other stuff, and the owners want to get rid of them. I don't thing I paid more than $20.

I've more expensive stuff now because of gifts and shopping at bigger matches, but with the expense of starting with guns and leather, it was nice to be able to get into right look without too much money.

• Like 1

Had a friend who passed some time ago. He was Irish and dressed in green whenever he could wore a straw hat and carried a walking stick

• Like 1

Just to start, plain jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a cowboy hat that feels good and looks good on you (not required, but, you know...) and comfortable boots without lugged soles, and you are good to go. You can decide to go fancy at any time.

Maybe all in brown to honor your alias. :D

lugged soles are legal in all but 2 categories

• Like 1

If you assemble a minimal costume now you can wait and buy from the vendors at the Western Regional match and the Western Divisional match - both will be held in California this year. California State in April just east of Sacramento would be a good place to shop too. I bought a dress shirt from a Utah-based store there last year. My favorite CAS brick and mortar clothing stores are Wild West Mercantile in Mesa, AZ and Texas Jacks in Fredericksburg, TX. However there are vendors who pull their mobile stores to major matches. I've bought plenty of clothes from them.

• Like 1

Yes Pard,

Come to the CA State Match. It is close to you and Dodge City General Story will be there. They have a really nice variety. Not to mention, D Bar J hats will be there. I'm working on getting more vendors; but, those two will suit you up.

You can find details on the following Website. http://www.californiagunslingers.com/ My third match was an annual and it didn't hurt a bit. Just don't make it your first. Try Richmond Roughriders, any match at Diamond Dick's, or River City Regulators out. Then come on over to Diamond Dick's for the State Match. I hope to see you then!

Regards,

Allie Mo

• Like 1

lugged soles are legal in all but 2 categories

Correct, but he did not specify his category/categories of preference, so non-lugged soles are a safe purchase no matter which category he chooses.

• Like 1

Don't hurry. Take your time and go to a lot of matches and get some ideas. If you were in the Marines or in

one of the lesser services, you could get a period military or naval uniform. Let your imagination go wild.

Your spouse will probably get a shooting costume and another fancy one for festivities. A lot of pards enjoy

B Western!!!

Lesser service? Never really considered Army Rangers to be lesser than anything.

• Like 1

Howdy

Gotta ask. Did the folks at SASS OK that alias? If they did, things have loosened up a bit from when I joined. Usta not be able to get away with stuff like that.

I have a list that SASS used to give out from maybe 1997-98 or so. The very first name is Anita Dick! Honest, I'm not making this up!

• Like 1

Costume, what's a costume? I dress like this all the time.

Edited by Dirty Redd
  • Like 1

Welcome, going to the State shoot will be a really good option and gives you the chance to support a vendor. Wild West Mercantile online is also a very good choice and has been a huge supporter of SASS/CAS over the years. While it is possible to start and stay with the bare minimum I applaud anyone who is looking to start off trying a little harder in the clothing department. What we wear along with the spirit in which the game is played is what distinguishes SASS from other shooting sports and I love to see it embraced. Enjoy

• Like 1

I have nice cowboy pants that are made for braces/suspenders, but I prefer the Wranglers, Carhartt and Levis I found in tan and black colors that have belt loops. I've found them on Amazon and at Walmart. A long sleeve Henley (two or three buttons at the neck) is period correct and are available everywhere.

I also found lots of good expensive Wahmaker and Frontier Classic pants and shirts on Ebay for much less than retail.

• Like 1

I was looking to put together an evening/dress banquet outfit and emailed them some questions. They answered and I bought what they suggested. I ended up winning a local regional costume contest.

I think you paid off the judges, Chuckles.

• Like 1

Goodwill or any other thrift mat is a great place to find a pair of pants (vintage with straight pocket tops, loops that can be removed, add suspender buttons, stripes) and a shirt. This is a basic starter set.

It will also be useful for rainy days or range work days.

• Like 1

check Ebay for "used" Tuxedo shirts and jackets. Many are very period correct and are VERY reasonable.

I also wear "Police pants" as "faux" Cavalry pants. You can get them for like $13 a pair from LA Police gear.

• Like 1

If you're located in the bay area, check out golden gate western wear in Richmond. They have a ton of boots and hats, plus they'll do custom hats if you can't find what you want. They also have a pretty good selection of old west clothing as well as more modern wear tonfit your needs. Where will you be shooting? Do you have all the gunsyou need? I shoot at all of the clubs within an hours drive so I can meet you at one of them if you need guns. I've got several sets of backups of various kinds to find what you like. Welcome to the best shooting game there is.

Thank you for the offer I am scheduled to spend some time with Buffy.

Howdy

For costume, you don't need to spend a fortune. This is just fine:

"Just to start, plain jeans, a long sleeved shirt, a cowboy hat that feels good and looks good on you (not required, but, you know...) and comfortable boots without lugged soles, and you are good to go. You can decide to go fancy at any time."

Lots and lots of stuff you can buy online.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=home&type=store

https://www.gentlemansemporium.com/wah-maker.php

Suggest you buy hats and boots in person so you get the fit right.

They approved the name I guess because I am 75 and a little shaky. Thanks for the links.

Thank you for the offer I am scheduled to spend some time with Buffy.

Buffy is a good guy. He got me started as well. Hopefully I'll see you soon at Richmond then. I'll be the one surrounded by black powder smoke. I just picked up a new Winchester and haven't had a chance to shoot it at a match yet.

Welcome, going to the State shoot will be a really good option and gives you the chance to support a vendor. Wild West Mercantile online is also a very good choice and has been a huge supporter of SASS/CAS over the years. While it is possible to start and stay with the bare minimum I applaud anyone who is looking to start off trying a little harder in the clothing department. What we wear along with the spirit in which the game is played is what distinguishes SASS from other shooting sports and I love to see it embraced. Enjoy

+1 .

When I started out 9 years ago .

I went to the state shoot to check it out as a spectator.

Wild West Mercantile had a booth and I was looking at clothing.

I did not have any money or Credit Cards with me at that time.

I found a complete outfit I liked .

The owners sent me home with the outfit and said

Mail in a check to the store.

WOW !

I knew I found the kind of people that I try to be myself.

You could NOT go wrong doing your business here !

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

Just get out and shoot for now, worry about your "costume" later. Jeans, long sleeved shirt, cowboy hat and anything but tennis shoes and you're good to go! Actually you don't even need the hat but it just looks better :)

Welcome. I will add a word of caution about ordering clothing online. The sizing of Old West clothing, especially the pants, may be very different than modern clothing. For example, I usually wear a 34" waist size. In one brand of Old West pants, I have to buy a 36. In another brand I have to go up to a 38!

I am fortunate to have found two stores within a reasonable drive where I could try on clothing so I have not had to deal with ordering clothes and returning them.

I agree with the comments about visiting "vendor row" at state and regional matches; that's another good way to shop.

Keeping it simple at first is good, too. I found some good shirts at a thrift store, and a New but reasonably priced Henley shirt at a local workwear store.

Edited by Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667
  • Like 1