SASS Wire Forum

'97 Magazine issue

Dukes Up Dan

I recently purchased a takedown '97 from another gentleman on the wire here and it had a coyote cap action job. I took it to a monthly match the day after I brought it home and it functioned fine. I even brought it out to a friend's ranch about 4 days later and stoked it and shot "normally" I also slam fired it too. I took it out just yesterday (about 3 weeks after getting it) and when I fired it, the mag tube came loose on me from the recoil of a AA lite target shell. Today, I found that the tube must have been upside down, but now, it will not feed shells through the tube if stoked. I believe that maybe the upside- down tube may have warped it and that could be why, but do not want to do anything about it until I have a decent diagnosis. By the way, it could have been all my fault from when I took it apart to clean. This was not a finger pointing post, just asking for help and a diagnosis for my 90ish year-old shotgun.

Check to see if the magazine tube is all the way in to the receiver.

If it is not by only one lug, the rim of the shell can drop in to the gap between the tube and the receiver and stop rounds from feeding.

You shake the gun and then the round will feed but the next round may stop as well.

Sounds like you may not have got the mag tube all the way into the receiver when you put it back together again. Try putting it back on again and start with the mag tube in the correct position. There is a small tab/stop on the mag tube's muzzle end. This tab should be positioned at 3 o'clock. Now slide the action slide into the carrier. The mag tube should follow and you need to be sure that it is in all the way. About 2" will get the threads into the receiver. Turn the lock pin and that tab/stop should now be at 12 o'clock. Sometimes it is easy to not get the threads all the way into the receiver to lock the tube in place.

If you fired the 97 and the tube came loose that means the threads on the tube are worn. I had 2 of my 97s do the same thing. Under recoil the mag tube slipped right out because the threads were worn and rolled over. I bought 2 tubes from Numrich gun parts and they worked just fine. They are Chinese but the quality was good. Remember when the tube is installed correctly, the square protruding nub on the tube will face the bottom of the barrel when its locked into place.

Edited by Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217

Thank you for the help, everyone, but I do believe it is all the way in, but the tube just feels right when I try to insert shells, like resistance for about half an inch about a quarter inch into the tube and that's what's keeping it from feeding.

Pulled the tube out and took a look. I have absolutely no clue how, but the threaded end of the tube definitely isn't a perfect circle. Like I said, this problem only happened recently. Looks like I'm going to need to buy a new tube unless someone knows how I can get it back into shape. It's not horrible, but noticeable.

If the threads are good, a god smith may be able to reform the tube.

You may be able to do it using either metal or even wood for a form, but you have to be careful of the threats.

If it doesn't work, order a new tube as mentioned.

I've ordered original Winchester 97 parts from Numrch before and what they sent me was garbage. Worst condition than the parts I wanted to replace. I know for a fact that there are lots of Chinese parts that Numrich sells that's garbage also. Example is the left extractor. I took a chance and went with the Chinese made tube and I was happy to see that it was well made, blued and it fit good. The only thing I needed to do to it was slightly bore out the hole that the lock pin goes through to 1/4 inch. That was it. Careful buying original parts from them because of poor conditioned stuff.

As far as I know, the Chinese guns were all solid frames. If that is the case, their tube's probably would not work for a take-down 97.

I don't know who makes the new tubes for Numrich, but I would try one of those. Used tubes can have a lot of wear since they are not thick steel.

Edited by Marauder SASS #13056