SASS Wire Forum

Staging table size?

Clay Thornton

Here in Iowa their is not a lot of shooting that happens in the winter months.

So I decided to put a new mieter saw to use and build a staging table for one of my local clubs. After talking to some of my clubs board members yesterday i felt like I had a good idea on size so I went for it.

I think it turned out nice. I will have to wait for it to warm up a bit in order to put a water sealer on it but it will certainly be ready for the first match of the year in April.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByJtzaLZtxm7ZTR5VktFUEo0TjQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByJtzaLZtxm7Z0NJMUlXLXZoY1E

It may be a bit overbuilt but it should last a really long time. It is 37" tall, the top is 30"x22". It takes me about 3 total hours to build and about $25 in materials including finish.

What dimensions do ya'll use for your shooting tables?

Happy New Year!!

Edited by Clay Thornton

That's a sturdy looking table; congrats!

Around here, we use about 30" square or larger. A lot of times, we use 4 feet long (2 feet wide) folding tables, with a carpet top.

As tall as you have built that, I would encourage stabilizer feet that run out to both sides and to the down-range side of the table. It will be pretty easy to knock that table over on any sort of grassy or rough ground with the height being larger than the width and depth. Or some sort of anchor system, which then makes setup and take-down slower. Also, make sure you use something on the table top to keep guns from bouncing off.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

That sure looks sturdy! Good job :)

I haven't built loading tables but I have built lots of other types of tables and benches. At matches that I have been to the best tables for ease of loading and placing guns upon were about 30 inches wide and at least 6 feet long. The longer the better for people to line up and set their guns down as they wait to load. Usually there is a carpet or astro turf covering on the table but if the tables aren't covered for weather protection having carpet attached can be messy.

DOH! I just realized you asked about a "STAGING" table....sorry.

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Yep certainly different then the reloading table.

I have an idea for anchoring should we run into issues. A simple solution that would involve tent stakes.

We always use carpet squares on top of our tables.

Thanks.

Edited by Clay Thornton

I have made 18 tables so far, all of treated lumber. The size sometimes is determined by the length of the stock you are using and how the table is to be used. I assembled them with production screws, 20 and 8 penny nails.

I made the back legs from 4x4s and the front from 2x4s so they are 32 inches tall. I can get three legs from each eight foot 4x4 or 2x4.

Six are stage tables and have 3/4" plywood tops x34"x24" (for staging firearms and props). Six are unloading tables and are 27 1/2"x24" with 5/4" decking boards for the tops. The others are loading tables and I used 3/4"x2'x4' marine plywood for the tops. I made them four foot long so I could load and unload them into my truck by myself. They also fit together if one needs an eight foot long table. I ran 1"x2" strips up each side to help keep everything from rolling off. I have throw rugs that I put on each table to make them firearm safe.

I ran 2x4 bracing around the bottom, keeping it higher where the shooters' feet will be and a diagonal brace across the length of the back and sides.

Edited by Frontier Lone Rider, SASS# 73063

Happy New Year Clay,

What you have is an excellent design. I know where you participate primarily most of the stages are some from of stand and deliver or at most lateral movement stages as that is all the range design will allow, but in the cases where forward/down range moment is possible what you have has enough material that one can easily add a fence on two sides of the table to help guide the shooter to put their long gun barrel pointed in a direction where forward movement can be done without moving in front of the barrel.

The other comment I have, consider making the table considerably shorter, like somewhere around 28 inches, and here is the reasoning. In the group of friends that we travel around the region participating as much as possible, most are couples, so ½ of our group are women and many of them are of short stature, and I also have the honor of participating with several buckaroo’s / junior shooters as well. So many times I see situations where the staging is such where they stand behind a table similar to the one you have here while shooting, the height impleads their shooting. In the case where they happen to shoot a double so many times after they shuck their first hulls, and try to reload the muzzle ends up resting on the table and their by closing the breach slightly making it hard for them to insert the fresh shells.. This kind of thing puts them at a competitive disadvantage. Conversely where you or I when presented with a lower table we do have to bend slightly when picking up the long gun but not to the point where it impleads our progress.

BTW, have you made any progress getting your wife interested in participating more than keeping score?

See you down the trail.

We use a common firing line, so forward movement is verboten. And since we have the luxury of permanent structures, our staging tables are a bit more substantial... (Here's two normally lazy types working at rebuilding a building blown down in a storm).12932582_1113076418734995_69238442663274

They not so much staging tables as they are barriers for the more aggressive types... to keep them behind the firing line where they can't get to the targets and pistol whip 'em!

You might think about lowerin' the top a mite. 37" is a bit tall for some of the ladies, juniors & buckeroos/ettes to work around.

Totally understand the height issue and if need be we are only a circular saw away from shortening her up.

No the Mrs is not gotten anymore interested yet. She is coming with me to LandRun so she will get a bunch more exposure in April.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have built 48 tables here on my range. They are 32" tall with 32X48" tops. That way I get 3 tops from a 4X8 sheet of marine plywood. We have severe winds occasionally so I use concrete form stakes to hold them down. Those stakes are GREAT. They come in various lengths depending on your need and have holes drilled through them every 2" to make fastening them to the table legs easy.

I made some smaller tables but occasionally it is hard to keep long guns on them when in a hurry.

I agree with GJ that a covering that prevents guns from sliding off the table is desirable. Scrap carpet is cheap but holds rainwater and dust. I like smooth rubber sheet. It is easily cleaned and dried and keeps guns from sliding.

Those look solid. It's awesome when someone steps up to do the carpentry. Sounds ok on tabletop dimensions. 22" is about as narrow as you'd want on one side of the table but should work just fine. Gotta sheepishly agree with the other comments on the height. Consider 28" minimum and 34" top max.

It's been mentioned but I want to stress that treated wood is the way to go.

We just got finished with a range clean up and ended up with 2, count them 2, burn piles each maxing out at 7 ft tall.

most of that wood at one time could have been used but the elements have taken their toll. Even if you paint/seal or whatever wood will not last like untreated wood.

cr

Hello Clay,

Yep, looks like a strong table to handle test of time.....

I built similar for LVR out here in Georgia, but due to climate used treated 4x4 with replaceable feet.

Built ours bit wider to handle multiple cowboys if used for loading table.

Had to use Tractor Supply cheapo nuts/bolts => again due to regular rain, heat & humidy causing screws/nails to work loose within a year or two.

Created a drawing, material list, photo doc for anyone's reference.

http://lonesomevalleyregulators.org/SASS_StageTable.php (link to pdf file)

http://lonesomevalleyregulators.org/CAS_Reloading.php (LVR Page -> Click on "SASS Stage Table")

Edited by Capt Kirk