SASS Wire Forum

What brand metal building is your shop?

Captain Clark

I have been studying the metal building manufactures websites trying to decide which are good versus not so much, and they all state they are the best! We all know there is good and bad out there, so what is your experience with the building kits the manufactures are selling these days? I have looked at several ( Coast to Coast, Versa tube, Mueller, Eagle ) and would appreciate info on others as well.

Thinking about 30x30 with enough height to store the JD and assemble a new reloading shop is what I am looking for. Tell me what you know!

30 x 30 won't be big enough. Always go bigger. Are you going to construct the building or are you having it built. Local lumber store can sell you a package depending on what you want. McReary (sp) sells a building with all panels cut with proper angles and will build also. There are many options. Narrow and long is cheaper than wide and short, due to truss sizes. How high will the building need to be in order to accommodate projects or storage. Do you have strong winds and heavy snow?

30' x 30' isn't near big enough. Since the O.P. mentions parking his John Deere tractor in it he sounds like he is in the country. Heck my three car garage is 45' feet long and I have it full including storage in the rafters.. Oversize pick-up, storage for hay bales, shelving for all sorts of stuff used outdoors, rotillers, mowers, other cars, yada, yada, yada. If I had it to do over I would have went at least 40' x 60'.

I have two Star brand buildings. Quite happy with them. One is office/whse. 50X110. Shop is 30X50. Need another building to store heavy equipment BAD. Probably will put up a quansit type about 40X60.

30' x 30' isn't near big enough. Since the O.P. mentions parking his John Deere tractor in it he sounds like he is in the country. Heck my three car garage is 45' feet long and I have it full including storage in the rafters.. Oversize pick-up, storage for hay bales, shelving for all sorts of stuff used outdoors, rotillers, mowers, other cars, yada, yada, yada. If I had it to do over I would have went at least 40' x 60'.

Good advice, but I hope the 30x30 is enough to replace the old shop. Most of the wheelers and such already have a place indoors, plus a very large hay barn I built years ago. I am thinking of having this one built instead of me and myself knocking it out this time :) , guess I'm getting soft!

Yea, I do want to put the tractor in out of the weather, the birds still target it under a canopy as it is :angry:

Start here....

Compare steel building of 2016

Thanks for the link, that's really handy!

30 x 30 won't be big enough. Always go bigger. Are you going to construct the building or are you having it built. Local lumber store can sell you a package depending on what you want. McReary (sp) sells a building with all panels cut with proper angles and will build also. There are many options. Narrow and long is cheaper than wide and short, due to truss sizes. How high will the building need to be in order to accommodate projects or storage. Do you have strong winds and heavy snow?

Snow not so much, but I have been noting the wind loading data on several. We have strong wind here, gusts hit 60+ around Thanksgiving when a front came through.

Good advice, but I hope the 30x30 is enough to replace the old shop. Most of the wheelers and such already have a place indoors, plus a very large hay barn I built years ago. I am thinking of having this one built instead of me and myself knocking it out this time :) , guess I'm getting soft!

Yea, I do want to put the tractor in out of the weather, the birds still target it under a canopy as it is :angry:

Thanks for the link, that's really handy!

I've decided that the next structure that's put up here will only involve me sitting in a lawn chair watching the crew.

Suggestion...Wait till summer to put out the lawn chair...

TL

Not a problem. Construction kinda slows down around here this time of year.

Mine is 24 wide by 32 deep with one 10x18 garage door. Upstairs is a 12x32 storage area. It was a good start but I am pressed for room. The right side lean to was recently closed in for my office/reloading room and and game room ( two rooms, total area 9x32). This spring, I will build a 24x24 shed off of the back to park the tractor, lawn tractor and van under.

This fall or next spring, I will build off the left side 24' for a 2-car carport with a 10x24 storage room in the back. Keep in mind, I run a business. Between gang box, specialty tools and materials, I have filled the upstairs, and quite frankly, want all my supplies at ground level for ease of getting on and off the van/trailer.

After that, It'll be roughly 32x58, plus the 12x32 loft plus the 24x24 shed in the back. Around 2800 sq ft total.

My point being.....In terms of room needed...think something about the sq ft of a chicken house.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins

We built what we call a pole shed before we built our house. 30 x50. Drive through on each end, walk in door one end. Built the house,decided to get horses so needed a bigger shed for hay and equipment storage. 40 x 60. Drive through on each end to accommodate a hay wagon. Walk in on each end. split doors where I had plans to build stalls. After a few years,sold the horses and equipment. Small shed houses the mowers, 3, garden area for mom, my work bench, tons of yard tools, feed storage for the chickens,welding bench and general work area. It's so full only a small path goes through. Big shed houses the fifth wheel trailer, plow truck,hauler truck, tractor, his and hers summer cars, a couple UTVs, a couple work benches when we did stock car racing.

We used a couple of different contractors to build ours. Local guys that had a local truss maker build the trusses, they set the poles and put on the tin. I hired the concrete work and did the electric myself. I'm actually thinking of building another shed or putting on a lean to off the big shed. where I would finish it off on the inside for a man cave/ work shop.

Local dudes were considerably less money for a good product.

finished a 24x36 barn this summer. two 10x10 doors on each end. drive my john deere with cutter attached on one side, gator and 4 wheelers and zero turn on the other and 10 ft wide awning off to one side for most of the attachments. i have room on purpose for an upgrade to a cab tractor if i decide to. een with extra room. it is full.